member: kv dirt daddies

Riding Among the Giant Sequoias

A few weekends ago we had great conditions up at Camp Nelson. There were thunderstorms so the dirt was tacky and the dust was down. Here is the footage from Bear Creek.
    https://vimeo.com/72022048

This is the next day on The Summit Trail.
    https://vimeo.com/72106248

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thats cool stuff, I have ridden both motos and MTB up there Kennedy Meadows and Keyesville area for years. Were is the Bear Creek trail??

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    Thats cool stuff, I have ridden both motos and MTB up there Kennedy Meadows and Keyesville area for years. Were is the Bear Creek trail??

Thanks
    You can catch Bear Creek at either Quaking Aspen Campground near Camp Nelson or a little further south off of highway 107 (on Forest Route 21S78). Contact these guys if you want them to shuttle you: Sequoia Mountain Adventures, Camp Nelson, CA. They're good folks. But keep in mind that, even with the shuttle, it still requires about 5 miles of climbing at around 7-8.5K feet before you get to the DH. It's a really, really fun trail though. Flowy, technical and steep (I think it drops ~4K feet in ~5 miles).

official eMpTyBRain
    A few of us will be doing the Cannell Plunge this weekend which starts off in the Sequoia Natl Forest. I assume will we be gliding though the redwoods.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Haw - You will be riding through some good sized trees but there are no giant Sequoias on Cannell. Cannell is a great ride. I would say Bear Creek is a lot more technical and the climb is stiffer.

motoguru200 - This area is a bit North of Kennedy meadows and on the West side of the Kern river. It is in the national monument so no moto traffic is allowed on the trails. This is the main reason why the Summit trail almost disappeared. Before Clinton created the monument it was moto legal and in great shape.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by jfsh View Post
    Haw - You will be riding through some good sized trees but there are no giant Sequoias on Cannell. Cannell is a great ride. I would say Bear Creek is a lot more technical and the climb is stiffer.
    I wouldn't have thought there would be Giant Sequoias there, but maybe some smaller giant "other" trees.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Where is Bear Creek and Summit Trail, I was up there and did Freeman Creek and Nelson Trail on Sunday.
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

you can think of Nelson and freeman going east and west. Summit goes north and south. Summit is the trail that heads north and south from the top of nelson trail. if you climb south on summit for about 4 miles bear creek will be on your right and head down to camp nelson. When riding summit on the north side we usually climb the road then ride down the trail back to quaking aspen.