mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Rides in San Diego

I will be in San Diego early next week for business and I have managed to get about a half a day to ride. I was wondering what are some trails that are close to the city limits and what are some good bike shop recommendations for bike rentals. I hear that Mission Trails are really close to town...and I hear I can get a decent ride there. I am an intermediate to advanced rider. I know you guys get a lot of rain as well..are the trails even open? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Tom

Old Bikes Suck!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikeguy
    I will be in San Diego early next week for business and I have managed to get about a half a day to ride. I was wondering what are some trails that are close to the city limits and what are some good bike shop recommendations for bike rentals. I hear that Mission Trails are really close to town...and I hear I can get a decent ride there. I am an intermediate to advanced rider. I know you guys get a lot of rain as well..are the trails even open? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Tom
    hey Tom,

yeah, mission trails is close the city and descent. the great riding is all about 45 minutes to an hour north or east. some people call an hours worth of driving local but i dont. mission trails will be open but there will be mud. its a nasty clay mud that is a lot like chunky peanut butter. very sticky. hopefully it wont rain and your trip will be good.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [SIZE=2]
    VDUBBUSRIDER
    San Diego, CA
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]
    Keyesville Vintage Mountain bike race!
    http://www.ssfta.com/vintage-race.html
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [SIZE=3]Anybody selling a Cook Bros. mtn stem? How about a blue Chris King Theaded headset? [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member

When are you

looking to ride? And what part of town is important, too.
    NIght rides or day?
    You may be in San Diego and be thirty minutes from Mission Trails.
    Where is biz/stay?

Tom

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by noslogan
    looking to ride? And what part of town is important, too.
    NIght rides or day?
    You may be in San Diego and be thirty minutes from Mission Trails.
    Where is biz/stay?
    I will be staying at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina for a conference. I am available to ride this coming Tues/Wednesday. I would like to head out in the early afternoon to be back for the evening. Thanks for the heads up on Mission Trails...what are some good bike shop recommendations on the way to Mission Trails that rent bikes?

Thanks again!

Tom

TCB
    mtbr member
    For Bike rentals try Bike Tours San Diego, they have full suspension bikes for rent.
    Their phone number is (619) 238-2444 they are located in the Gas Lamp 509 5th Ave

mtbr member
    i rode MT on sunday and it was pretty much bone dry. worry not about mud. the stream crossing below the Visitors Center was shin high though.

~=SOME*CAL=~
    Quote Originally Posted by adlo76
    i rode MT on sunday and it was pretty much bone dry. worry not about mud. the stream crossing below the Visitors Center was shin high though.
    Did you take the route under the 52? I recently rode it, and it was really muddy, and those new rocks they put in there are terrible! The are all sharp and jagged and make your wheel wonder off.

mtbr member
    nope. i stayed south of the 52.

mtbr member

Only 15 minutes

Mission Trails is OK. Pretty short in mileage. The UC loop is kinda plain but, it is best if you have military credentials in case you are caught be the MPs. Uc\CSD campus has a 2.5 mile cyclo cross course that is decent which can be combined with 90% of the UC loop. These are all about 15 miuntes away.
    Sycamore Canyon is about 25 minutes away in Santee nearthe end of hwy52.

I will be staying at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina for a conference. I am available to ride this coming Tues/Wednesday. I would like to head out in the early afternoon to be back for the evening. Thanks for the heads up on Mission Trails...what are some good bike shop recommendations on the way to Mission Trails that rent bikes?

Thanks again!

Tom