Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    pewpewpew Moderator

Rider down on sullivan ridge fireroad

Yes, it happened again, a collision at that blind turn on the pavement where there is a dip and it is briefly downhill both ways. 2 riders collided. One had to be taken away by ambulance.

Keep in mind that cars and trucks are not infrequently on that road (rangers and camp josepho business). If the guy flying downhill had slammed into a car it would have been much much worse.

Slow down, use a bell. It's one thing to crash on twisty loose singletrack like jedi or the canyon but on the pavement its just stupid!
    Love, Impy

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    what a bummer.. i was just there a few weeks back.. coming back down at pretty good speed when after a blind turn i almost met head-on with a coupla SUV's that were heading up to the gate...

dangerous little road, as the descending speeds are quite addicting.

Just Ride!
    Let's remind riders to be very careful when they approach that corner. It's obviously a blind corner so why not slow down. I just love it when it's a group of riders who just take the whole road and bomb at speed in that piece of pavement and chatting at the same time. Of course I ended being the bad guy because I said something but oh well, better they know than not. Be aware and be prepared to do some defensive riding when you hit that dip. Imagine if a hiker got hit by a cyclist.

5 x 5

Try calling out

On all the downhill turns, I always let out a nice solid, "Coming down the hill!"

Be sure to put some inflection in your voice that implies that anyone pedaling up the hill had better get the hell out of your way.

Sorry to hear about the crash, but FWIW, that spot where it's downhill both ways isn't totally blind. It's a hairpin and not wholly overgrown. Riders need to get their heads up and actually look to see if anyone's coming the other way.
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMountainHop
    On all the downhill turns, I always let out a nice solid, "Coming down the hill!"

Be sure to put some inflection in your voice that implies that anyone pedaling up the hill had better get the hell out of your way.

Sorry to hear about the crash, but FWIW, that spot where it's downhill both ways isn't totally blind. It's a hairpin and not wholly overgrown. Riders need to get their heads up and actually look to see if anyone's coming the other way.
    If it's downhill both ways who has to get the hell out of the way? Nice method you have, you just have to look out for fallen trees, rocks, or a ranger driving an air-conditoned truck.

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    If it's downhill both ways who has to get the hell out of the way?
    Dude, obviously it's whoever puts more inflection in their voice. Why are you not up on the current rule book in MrMountainHop's mind?

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Nice method you have, you just have to look out for fallen trees, rocks, or a ranger driving an air-conditoned truck.
    and hikers, dogs, deer, kids, babies in those jogging strollers...

Of course any real man should have no problem out inflecting any of them.

Knomer
    This really sucks.

We'll get up there and trim the brush and trees to open up visability.

What really urks me is seeing riders with their helmets on their bars up the climb on Sulli. The 1st thing I think is "great, this guy is gonna have a head-on at the blind dip and I'm gonna have to cut my ride short so I can scrape his cantelope off the pavement and call the coroner."

WEAR YOUR HELMET ON THE CLIMB!

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    i second this notion

5 x 5

Look on the bright side...

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    "I'm gonna have to cut my ride short so I can scrape his cantelope off the pavement and call the coroner."
    ...at least if he's dead you can leave him for the buzzards. it's when they're hurt that your day is ruined.

WEAR YOUR HELMET ON THE CLIMB!
    Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman
    If it's downhill both ways who has to get the hell out of the way? Nice method you have, you just have to look out for fallen trees, rocks, or a ranger driving an air-conditoned truck.
    You're absolutely correct - you do have to look out for fallen trees, rocks, and dogs driving air-conditioned trucks... just like you do on just about every trail and fireroad on earth. It's called mountain biking. Obstacles are part of the risk. When it's downhill both ways I keep my head up and have escape route at the ready. That's just me, I prefer not to slam into people head on.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart
    Dude, obviously it's whoever puts more inflection in their voice. Why are you not up on the current rule book in MrMountainHop's mind?

Of course any real man should have no problem out inflecting any of them.
    While I have no problem with the second half of this, the first half has me confused. Surely you're not suggesting that it's safer to round the corner without making any noise at all?

Do you guys actually ride your bikes, or do you walk them everywhere you go? Just wondering.
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

pewpewpew Moderator
    This really sucks.

We'll get up there and trim the brush and trees to open up visability.

I will help, just let me know when.
    Love, Impy

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    I will help, just let me know when.
    I'll take an assessment of what tools we might need next time I go up. Hard to guess until we get above the dip on both sides to see exactly what work is involved. We might need to climb the fence and hit the trees with a long handled pruner, along with tearing vines off the chain link fence. I'll bring some spray paint for a little suggestive graffitti...

"SLOW DOWN."

wii!!!!!
    I'll help also, if needed, just let me know.

wawe member

While I have no problem with the second half of this, the first half has me confused. Surely you're not suggesting that it's safer to round the corner without making any noise at all?

Do you guys actually ride your bikes, or do you walk them everywhere you go? Just wondering.
    So we don't all waste too much of our time on this, are you a troll or really just clueless about expecting others to get the hell out of your way when you're totally downhilling the pavement?

I don't ride or walk my bike, I just wear it around my neck on a big 'ol chain. "I wear the bike so YOU know the time!"

mtbr member

brutal...

Reading this post bums me out heavily... I was the guy who went over the bars avoiding a head-on collision w/ another mtb'er in that very spot in May. Good news is that after hand surgery, a splint and ongoing physical therapy, I'm back on the bike and riding dirt.

If anyone needs help clearing brush to fix the problem, i'm in.

5 x 5

Check it out, dude

So we don't all waste too much of our time on this, are you a troll or really just clueless about expecting others to get the hell out of your way when you're totally downhilling the pavement?

I don't ride or walk my bike, I just wear it around my neck on a big 'ol chain. "I wear the bike so YOU know the time!"
    This is a pretty dumb conversation you and I are having here, Bart. At least Dusty's trying to solve the problem.

"Surely you're not suggesting it's safer to round the corner without making any noise at all?" This is not trolling. This is Socratic irony.

Me, a troll? Go read some of my other posts. You'll notice that I ride a wide variety of trails, that I seek out adventure, that I'm an incredibly open-minded share-er of the trail as regards hikers, motos, equestrians and newbie bikers (who admittedly piss me off when they rub out the edges of my favorite 8-inch wide singletracks, but hey, no big deal, I'll just keep my newest discoveries to myself). You'll also notice that my posts are laced with ironic humor - only I don't pepper them with smilies to show the dimwits where the joke is.

Now go back and re-read my original post on this thread, and you'll notice that I never said anything about riding fast, bombing down the hill, or doing anything to put myself or anyone else at risk. All I said was, "I let out a nice solid 'Coming down the hill!'" and advised that any who wanted to try it inflect his voice so someone would hear him. I offered a solution to the problem, whereas you offered me your fist. I didn't point you to the humor with a smiley, and for that I apologize. I'll try to be more obvious in the future.

Oh, wait. No I won't.
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

wawe member
    This is a pretty dumb conversation you and I are having here, Bart. At least Dusty's trying to solve the problem.

"Surely you're not suggesting it's safer to round the corner without making any noise at all?" This is not trolling. This is Socratic irony.

Me, a troll? Go read some of my other posts. You'll notice that I'm so cool, I'm so rad, blah blah blah. You'll also notice that my posts are so smart, I'm so smart, I learned the meaning of irony from Alanis Morissette and choose not to use the tools available to me to communicate with strangers in an effective way.

Now go back and re-read my original post on this thread, and you'll notice that I backtrack, back pedal, deny, deny. All I said was, "I let out a nice solid 'Coming down the hill!'" (just ignore the "get the hell out of my way" part) blah, blah blah. I offered a solution to the problem, whereas you offered me your fist. (umm, okay) I didn't point you to the humor with a smiley, and for that I apologize. I'll try to be more obvious in the future.

Oh, wait. No I won't.
    Right, I'll get right on reading up on the 62,000+ MTBR members and construct personality profiles for all of them.

If you are still confused about what in your original post I had issue with, look for your words in my last post that you quoted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerxcerider
    Reading this post bums me out heavily... I was the guy who went over the bars avoiding a head-on collision w/ another mtb'er in that very spot in May. Good news is that after hand surgery, a splint and ongoing physical therapy, I'm back on the bike and riding dirt.

If anyone needs help clearing brush to fix the problem, i'm in.
    That finger was messed up. Good to read that you can use it again.

Don't we need to clear things up with park authority before performing maintenance work?
    I'll help when we get authorization.

34N 118W

awesome

Right, I'll get right on reading up on the 62,000+ MTBR members and construct personality profiles for all of them.

If you are still confused about what in your original post I had issue with, look for your words in my last post that you quoted.
    can't wait for Trail Day with you two guys holding some sharp tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 x 5

Funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    Now, take the armless Black Bart... er, knight, give him a striped wig and a big red nose, and we'd have a pretty accurate picture.

Bart, baby, I wasn't then nor am I now confused by what you took issue with. Nor actually am I any longer confused why you didn't get the humor. Try to find someting to laugh at today, man, you'll feel better.
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    All right slushy boy, you and me, Pioneer Chicken, Friday, 10pm.

MountainHop, I have a well developed sense of humor but with the number of knuckleheads bombing the fireroads lately I don't find it very funny posting things that can lead the uneducated/newbie trail user to believe that the downhill rider has R.O.W. and others should get out of the way. (leading to more accidents/close calls, leading to trail closures) I'm sure with all of the riding you do you can appreciate that.

Also, CORBA sells a nice little bell, I get complimented on it all the time by hikers, bikers and horse riders. Easy to use and ALERTS others in a friendly way so as not to startle them. How often do you get complimented on your yelling style?

mtbr member
    Wow, it's great to see two people bickering on the boards-especially when I'm not one of the two involved. I think both of you know the right thing to do is let others know you are approaching on a blind corner. How you choose to let others know is up to you. Personally I prefer a bell. I, too, get compliments on my bell (on the bike at least-insert smiley face here.) But when I ride a bike that doesn't have a bell and I need to let others know I'm coming up, they too are appreciative that I give a shout out.

So with that said, enough head banging and lets get out and ride. After all it's 9am and only 96 degree's outside!!
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

34N 118W

hug it out, b!tches.

All right slushy boy, you and me, Pioneer Chicken, Friday, 10pm.
    no Midnight Ridazz for me this week - out of town. Ding your bell or holler in my absence.

that section of pavement has the potential for both riders to be carrying a lot of speed if they want to. Somebody better be making lots of noise early on if they're planning on having enough time to correct, without an "oh schit" panic steer.

hw

Just Ride!
    that section of pavement has the potential for both riders to be carrying a lot of speed if they want to. Somebody better be making lots of noise early on if they're planning on having enough time to correct, without an "oh schit" panic steer.

hw[/quo

Why not just tap on the brakes and scrub some speed before hitting that dip. It's not so hard and it's all about climbing anyway.

How is it going, Jeffe?

34N 118W
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigtire
    Why not just tap on the brakes and scrub some speed before hitting that dip. It's not so hard and it's all about climbing anyway.

How is it going, Jeffe?
    that's bullcrap. I didn't just drive 45 minutes in traffic to tap my brakes. I came for a rush, baby, and dammit I'm gonna get one. So b!tches heading towards me better watch TF out!
    MOVE! This is MY ride! Besides, I'm on a singlespeed. Momentum is key!

woo - got carried away there a bit. I'm cool now.

mtbr member
    I'd help out with clearing out that area for better line of sight, but I do think there are ways to see, especially as you are descending (post ride direction) just before that turn, you can look over and see if anyone is dropping into that gully on their way up.

with the number of knuckleheads bombing the fireroads lately I don't find it very funny posting things that can lead the uneducated/newbie trail user to believe that the downhill rider has R.O.W. and others should get out of the way. (leading to more accidents/close calls, leading to trail closures) I'm sure with all of the riding you do you can appreciate that.
    god I hate knuckleheads, a little while back I was riding up a singletrack section (back of sullivan cyn where it get's steep before the switchbacks), and a girl is coming down followed by her boyfriend. I'm climbing and clearly not stopping and she pulls off to the side to let us by. As we go by her boyfriend says all irritated "downhill riders have the right of way" so I'm like "no you don't" at which point he says "learn how to ride rookie". I was climbing and just laughed it off, but seriously that's some ignorance at work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast