Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rider Down - Marthas Grove 5-26

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Ice Warrior 
#1 ·
Anyone know how the person who had to be air lifted out of Martha's Grove is doing? Went through there in the morning as it is one of my favorite trails (still do not have the nads to go over the rock yet). Saw the ranger later and he said that a gal got hurt pretty bad. Strange thing is that is was after all the nasty stuff. He said she went down at the dip in the trail just as you head out of the grove and got cut up pretty bad from a root sticking out of the ground.

Just curious and want to extend my best wishes for a quick recovery.

Dave P

#3 ·
Haven't heard about this yet.....

There have been plenty of accidents out there in the last few months. As for the rock, it is easy to go to the inside (left) as you pass through that area. You can drop the rock pretty easily too, just get back and steer away from the first rut. It is actually not as hard as it looks from the top of that rock. I like to go to the far right and go directly over the rock and kinda float as much as I can through the ruts and rocks immediately following. As for that rut the woman fell into. I am acutely aware of that "wheel swallower". That ditch is almost perfect wheel sized and if you pass through the picnic bench area with speed and go a tad to the right through that little ditch, you oculd really mangle yourself. I see that every time I go through that area and kinda cringe as I am fortunate enough to know it is coming up and hop through the far left. In regards to the unfortunate woman who was injured, I do hope she is OK and wish the best to her and her family. I am hoping the injuries are not as bad as it seems by your post.

#4 ·
The Rock......

.....owns me. I roll up to it and look to the left but it has a nasty little slope to it and looks to push you toward a big ol rock sticking up. The right side looks promising to me but there is not much room for error. The middle just looks like too much of a drop and the landing area is not too inviting. If I could be like Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day" I would just jump right over the middle and float through the bottom but for now the rock owns me and I just ride the path around it. I never thought the dip after the bench was such a big deal (maybe because the downhill before had my attention) but now I will treat it with a bit more respect.

Dave P

#5 ·
A friend of mine sent me an e-mail about his brother crashing and getting bloody and then later on his wife going over the bars and doing enough damage to air lift her out.
She is in the hospital but is expected to be released by tomorrow.
She is a nice lady. She was our den mother for our 5 person team at Old Pueblo. She runs triathalons and is just getting into mountain biking.

#6 ·
Best Wishes

Thanks for the update. Wish her a speedy recovery. Ranger made it sound like she was hurt pretty seriously. Hate to see anyone get hurt. I was messed up pretty badly in a freak accident myself (1 week in hospital with leg broken in 6 places).

DP

#7 ·
richwolf said:
A friend of mine sent me an e-mail about his brother crashing and getting bloody and then later on his wife going over the bars and doing enough damage to air lift her out.
She is in the hospital but is expected to be released by tomorrow.
She is a nice lady. She was our den mother for our 5 person team at Old Pueblo. She runs triathalons and is just getting into mountain biking.
Sorry to hear about your friend, hope she recovers soon. Will be riding that trail tomorrow and will be extracareful on that spot.
bajamtnbkr

#9 ·
That little wash coming out of the grove got bad after the little bit of winter rain came through and carved it out. With the sand in there and the exposed root in the crash landing area, I can imagine you'd do some damage.

Good luck to her and hope she heals up well.

#10 ·
Eric,

You're right. We were talking about the only real technical area that is near the bottom of Martha's Grove area. I used to go over the lip, though lately I have been going to the left to better set up the hard right turn.

JSK

#11 ·
Hi All,
I'm the one who went down at Martha's on Sat. Yes it was in the wash just past the grinding stone. Just read it wrong and my wheel got stuck in the loose sand at the bottom, was thrown off the bike onto my right hip right onto an exposed root. Split my right hip open through the TFL(muscle), facia and right to the illiac crest(hip bone). Had to be air lifted out to the top parking lot on top of cardiac than took an ambulance ride to Sharp memorial where I had an intimate date with the trauma doc to stitch me up. Had to stay in the hospital until Mon. evening. Just feel lucky I didn't fracture my pelvis(or any other bone). Thanks for your well wishes and concerns and yes I can't wait to get back at it even though I think it might be a couple of months. If any of the 3 mtbr.'s that stopped to help read this, THANK YOU SO MUCH for stopping and helping us out you really made a difference in how things turned out and you really calmed me down because I knew my husband was starting to lose it. Take care All and we'll see you on the trail!!!! ;)
AL

#12 ·
L&A said:
Hi All,
I'm the one who went down at Martha's on Sat. Yes it was in the wash just past the grinding stone. Just read it wrong and my wheel got stuck in the loose sand at the bottom, was thrown off the bike onto my right hip right onto an exposed root. Split my right hip open through the TFL(muscle), facia and right to the illiac crest(hip bone). Had to be air lifted out to the top parking lot on top of cardiac than took an ambulance ride to Sharp memorial where I had an intimate date with the trauma doc to stitch me up. Had to stay in the hospital until Mon. evening. Just feel lucky I didn't fracture my pelvis(or any other bone). Thanks for your well wishes and concerns and yes I can't wait to get back at it even though I think it might be a couple of months. If any of the 3 mtbr.'s that stopped to help read this, THANK YOU SO MUCH for stopping and helping us out you really made a difference in how things turned out and you really calmed me down because I knew my husband was starting to lose it. Take care All and we'll see you on the trail!!!! ;)
AL
Take Care of yourself. Quite a few of us have been off our bikes for awhile due to injury also but we get right back on after the healing takes place! Glad to hear you're okay. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.