Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rider down in Laguna Canyon

4K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  electricalanomaly 
#1 ·
Any of you guys see the news about the rider who had to get helicoptered out after falling off the cliff on a certain trail in Laguna?

Poor guy, hope he heals quick.....

#11 ·
^^ Laguna Canyon, above Hwy. 133. Itś a famous/infamous poach trail and is part of the Rads´ annual Leaping Lizard race. Itś kinda surprising more people haven´t gotten seriously hurt out there. There are some good videos of Lopes in that zone.

#15 ·
ugh he was prob on that big rock and maybe somehow slid off of it, I can't see any other way. Maybe he stopped to look down the ravine and accidently fell and took his bike with him. I know a man in his 50's aint doing Brian Lopes rock jumping, and not with that hard tail 29er that he's pictured with. It looks like a gruesome fall though. Prayers and positive healing vibes.

#20 ·
I believe that's it. As you're descending, it's to the right of the rock roll that I think is called VW rock. Only way I can see someone going off there is they are trying to avoid the rock roll by riding far to the right down the groove at the edge of cliff, or he was pedaling up that same groove (technical climb/HAB).

I get the feeling a lot of people ride that trail that really have no business there. Anyone avoiding that rock roll would be a prime example.

Hope he's healing up well...

#21 ·
That was more of my point, is that however he got on the trail, he was over his head. He either went solo or was with a group of people that were over their heads. There is no reason to be that close to that area. That's not a trail you introduce people too unless they have the skills to navigate it.

Not speaking of this in particular, as I have no idea of his skill, or who he was riding with. Obviously there are other things way outside of his control that could have contributed, but it's an extremely odd spot to be and go off the trail.

#32 ·
I was thinking he possibly started down the rock roll, had second thoughts and went a little to the right , without knowing it's shorter but has a couple bad rocks at the bottom.. Maybe that sent him even more right?

Or, like the miles carizzo crash from a momentary lack of speed/balance while pausing or climbing that rut

Or maybe a headset failure, loosening up at the wrong time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.