I <3 Dirt

Rider Dies on Noble Canyon

Not sure if anyone else saw this story this morning, but a rider died yesterday evening on Noble Canyon. I'm assuming more info will be revealed about who he was, but real sorry for his friends and family.

Here's a link to the story in the UT.

EAST COUNTY — Rescuers reached an injured mountain biker Thursday night in the Cleveland National Forest, but he died before he could be hoisted out of a canyon, authorities said.

A companion of the man used a cellphone to call 911 for help about 6:30 p.m., Cal Fire Capt. Michael Mohler said.

Cal Fire used the phone’s GPS tracking system to find the man in the Noble Canyon area, Mohler said. A sheriff’s helicopter was dispatched, along with a San Diego Fire-Rescue Department helicopter.

Rescuers performed CPR, but the man died at the scene, Mohler said. The nature of his injury was not disclosed.

According to the website MountainBikeBill.com, the Noble Canyon trail is narrow and difficult, with many rocks and tight switchbacks. The upper trailhead can be reached from Sunrise Highway, and the lower trailhead from the Pine Creek picnic area.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Ride safe and within your limits. Sure, it's fun to ride hard, grab some air, bust it out over the ragged rocks in Noble Canyon. But not worth a broken body or worse.

mtbr member
    I wonder if it was heart problems since it stated they were giving him CPR, nothing about a injury was mentioned
    San Diego needs singletrack

Lord of the Chainrings
    Been there many times. Yes, you really need to ride within your limits. No hospital close by.
    RIP fellow rider.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Beer Please!
    I think this just impresses the importance of not riding alone if you can help it when so far from civilization. (I am not talking about riding alone on your local trail that has tons of other riders, runners and hikers on it)

So sad to hear.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member

Rider Dies on Noble Canyon

Rip

official eMpTyBRain
    Bummer, RIP
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member

Some second-hand info...

Someone on Dirttreaders who's a medic with one of the local agencies posted:
    I don't know that much about this since I was not on this call. But it was a traumatic injury. It happened about 4-5 miles from the trail head. Apparently the rider was rolling a bolder that was approx 4 feet in height (possibly unintentionally) was going to slow and went OTB. He was unresponsive and not breathing after impact and eventually went into cardiac arrest. His friends performed CPR for about 45 mins before SDFD copter 1 and Mt Laguna FD located. Pretty much a worse case accident in the worst case locations.
    My rather uneducated guess is spinal cord injury (assuming he was wearing a helmet).

Very sad indeed. His companion(s) must feel terrible. Let's be careful out there, folks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Very sad.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Too bad but it is the risk we all take. I would much rather die riding than from heart disease or diabetes from sitting around on my ass. I wonder where he ate it. RIP.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    Too bad but it is the risk we all take. I would much rather die riding than from heart disease or diabetes from sitting around on my ass. I wonder where he ate it. RIP.
    indeed.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

It ain't easy being Green
    "...It happened about 4-5 miles from the trail head. Apparently the rider was rolling a bolder that was approx 4 feet in height..."

I can guess where that is but I don't want to post the name of the obstacle coz it would be inappropriate under the circumstances. You all know what I mean.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Sucks to hear but anything can happen at any time.Same here rather go out doing something i love than being at home doing nothing.

mtbr member
    It might have been that rock pile i think thats called dragons breath. I hiked my bike up to the top and although i know i could ride it, the risk wasnt worth it so i hiked the bike back down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So sorry to hear this. Noble in an incredible place. Perhaps my favorite all time ride. But it can get hairy. It is awful to see any rider get hurt, this is just tragic. RIP.