mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Renting a bike in palm springs

I need some bike info as me and my wife will be visiting Palm Springs for the first week of July. Names and addresses of local Bike Shops and legal trails would be appreciated. I'm looking for intermediate level trails as I am not accustomed to the extreme heat in the area although I ride in mid 90 degree,humid weather in the east. Just don't want to push myself when out of my element. Any help/info would be appreciated. Thanks.

34N 118W
    Quote Originally Posted by frizzle-fry
    I need some bike info as me and my wife will be visiting Palm Springs for the first week of July. Names and addresses of local Bike Shops and legal trails would be appreciated. I'm looking for intermediate level trails as I am not accustomed to the extreme heat in the area although I ride in mid 90 degree,humid weather in the east. Just don't want to push myself when out of my element. Any help/info would be appreciated. Thanks.
    July? Yikes. You may change your mind once you step outside. I was there last weekend and it topped out at about 106-108. The themo in my parked car said 121. It's dry desert heat so sweat evaporates instantly and you don't even realize you're losing water, so be careful. Drink lots. I would pass on dirt trails and look for early morning road rides instead, which can still be scenic with all the country clubs and neighborhoods.

If your staying near downtown P.S., check these guys out. They're close by and know all the local stuff. If you're determined to ride dirt, they can guide you as well.

http://pscyclery.com/

cheers,
    Jeff

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    July? Yikes. You may change your mind once you step outside. I was there last weekend and it topped out at about 106-108. The themo in my parked car said 121. It's dry desert heat so sweat evaporates instantly and you don't even realize you're losing water, so be careful. Drink lots. I would pass on dirt trails and look for early morning road rides instead, which can still be scenic with all the country clubs and neighborhoods.

If your staying near downtown P.S., check these guys out. They're close by and know all the local stuff. If you're determined to ride dirt, they can guide you as well.

http://pscyclery.com/

cheers,
    Jeff
    Thanks for the information. I definately want to log in some riding time, even if for an hour in the early hours of the morning. I will keep an eye on the heat though - I guess I'll find out when I get there. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

good luck

today, it s 110 ...and it is going to get worse..it's a furnace.
    Advices
    Start very early (ride between 6 and 8-9)
    You might be better off doing some road biking..at least you have more wind to cool you down. A nice paved climb is the road to the tram.
    If you decide to go mtbiking...there is really nothing "not to steep"...basically it's the goat trails or Dunn Road and all the connectors. You could also take your car up Hwy 74 and climb Torro Peak ( from 4000 to 8600 feet).
    Drink TONS of fluid before, during and after, weight yourself before and after...you will be amazed to see how much fluid you loose.
    Finding a bike to rent ...you may try a beachcruiser at PScyclery
    Good Luck and be careful

Waiting to exhale.
    Just like everyone said, its gonna be very hot. I don't know about palm springs but about 45 minutes away is a city called joshua tree and a bike shop called mikes bike shop. Talk to Mike or Donny. They have rentals and they might show you to some killer trails in palm springs and joshua tree. Try calling (760) 369-6777. I have not spoken with them in a while, but I am pretty sure they can help you out.
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.