drunken pirate

Rentals and rides in San Diego?

I am going to San Diego this week for a business conference and was wanting to try and squeeze a ride in while I am there. So, I am looking for recommendations of shops where I can rent a decent bike and trails where I can take it for a ride. I will be staying at the Sheraton Marina and am hoping that I won't have to go too far to find what I'm looking for.

Saturday afternoon and night is when I would most likely be looking to ride. I plan on packing my light and would like to go for a longish ride.

If anyone has any suggestions about non-bike stuff to do while I'm out there I would appreciate them as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You should be able to rent either a HT or FS from Bike-Tours, which is located in downtown. Their website is http://www.bike-tours.com

Just make sure they aren't having a big tour the day you want to rent, as availability may not be too great.

As for trails, I'm not sure familiar with anything close so maybe someone else can help there. If you're willing to travel a bit you can find some really good trails. I also don't have lights for night riding.

You could head to the World Famous SD Zoo and hope to catch a glimpse of the new baby Giant Panda (if you want to wait in long lines). There's always beaches, nightlife...depends on what you're looking to do/see while you're here.

Enjoy your stay!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood
    I am going to San Diego this week for a business conference and was wanting to try and squeeze a ride in while I am there. So, I am looking for recommendations of shops where I can rent a decent bike and trails where I can take it for a ride. I will be staying at the Sheraton Marina and am hoping that I won't have to go too far to find what I'm looking for.

Saturday afternoon and night is when I would most likely be looking to ride. I plan on packing my light and would like to go for a longish ride.

If anyone has any suggestions about non-bike stuff to do while I'm out there I would appreciate them as well.
    Downtown San Diego is not the best place for mountain biking. Plenty of roadie options otherwise.

If you want to hit the good trails, you might want to try Elfin Forest, Daley Ranch, Lake Hodges, Mission Trails. All these are about 20-30mins north of downtown SD. The only place I do know that has demo bikes for rent is Beyondbikes. However, they are closed at 3pm on Sat and all day Sun so I don't know how you would be able to get a rental.

What do you want to ride? How much climbing? If you are really serious about getting a longish ride in, it would cheaper to pack your bike with you than to rent one.

If you need more info, PM me. Otherwise, enjoy your stay in San Diego.

mtbr member
    May 2005

rides in san diego

I am going to the 52 and the 15 freeway for three days in San Diego. Are there any trails close to there?

mtbr member

close by

Quote Originally Posted by merlin1011
    I am going to the 52 and the 15 freeway for three days in San Diego. Are there any trails close to there?
    http://maps.google.com/?ll=32.850317...06576,0.086689

Close by is Mission Trails at the east end of Clairmont Mea Blvd. and San Clemente Canyon area east on 52 at the Regents exit. Both have short mileage.

The San Clemente ride has poisen oak and do not go on to the military base! If you go west you can go north through the large culvert into the next canyon. both canyons are somewhat boring.

East on 52 for about 8 minutes is Mast Blvd exit. Go left at the bottom of the ramp to the high school for the Sycamore Canyon ride. Park in the dirt lot just past the school lot, cross the street and head throught the white fence. You can also park at the Mast exit, just to the right. That is also mission trails. Heading under the freeway is OK. once you get the part where you have to hike, turn back. Military is at the top.
    Last edited by noslogan; 01-09-2006 at 04:12 PM.