mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Rental/guides/trails in Palm Desert area?

Hi all:

I will be in the Palm Desert area for a week (arriving next Thursday Nov 14) and was hoping someone could steer me to a bike shop that could provide me with a decent rental ride and some good maps (or a guide if it's required to maximize the area's potential). I will be the only rider in my group, so it would be nice to be in a place with other weekday rider traffic.

I'll probably be limited to 2-4 hour windows. No idea what type of bike I'll need for the local trails(I use a FS Knolly Endorphin here at home). As of now, my rental car won't have a bike rack - do the rental shops supply them? or do folks get them from the car rental companies?

Only online info I've found is Palm Springs MTB surprise | bikepirate: get the latest dirt on trails to ride

Thanks for your help.

official eMpTyBRain
    rent a pick up truck or an SUV and stuff the rental bike in that.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The best trail system is the Goat Trails. They start by the Von's market on Highway 111 by Gene Autry Drive. The trailhead is just south of Von's (to the left). It starts with a nasty, technical climb, but is easier after that. There are lots of connected trails. Just rude until you get to where trails intersect and randomly pick one. Repeat.

I don't know about rentals.

The one time I looked into a guide, it was probibitively expensive.

mtbr member
    The bikepirate post mentioned most of the trails/areas to look for. You can find decent maps on mountainbikebill.com (SoCal --> Palm Springs Area). The BLM map mentioned in the post may be the most comprehensive map I have seen. Goat trails is an area with a spiderweb of trails, some marked some not, and can be confusing if you don't know them. But good for the time frame you mention. Some of the better trails are up above Goat trails (see the maps) but require more time to get to (Wildhorse, Hahn, Art Smith, Palm Canyon, etc.) The post also mentioned Idyllwild which is worthwhile, but may be beyond your time window (or get up real early?). May valley burned this summer and I believe Hurkey is closed too, but the Hub system in Idyllwild is excellent. Again its an unmarked spiderweb of trail but as long as you are descending singletrack and climbing fire road you'll be ok. Just don't drop down into Hemet unless you have a ride back up!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Anyone have a recent trail report on Palm Canyon Epic? We are going to ride it on Monday, and are wondering if any sections took on damage with the rains earlier this year. We haven't ridden it since Dec last year....

I just wanna ride my bike
    We're looking at potentially riding in Palm Springs/Desert over the Easter long weekend. Is there any bike shop with decent and/or higher end FS rentals? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Is there any update on Hurkey Creek? Planning to be down there in a couple of weeks and in the videos I've seen, I think this would be a fun trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's hard to get a real answer, but my understanding is Hurkey area trails are closed. There is still plenty of riding up there but you access from different locales. Stop by the Hub Bike shop in Idyllwild they have a map which shows you the burn area etc.

We're having great weather in desert and up the hill you can't go wrong with anything right now!