jej
    Jay The Hill
    May 2007

Reminder: trail work at Ted Williams!

Just a reminder:

Trail work at Ted Williams is this Saturday ( January 30th) at 9pm
    We'll have a raffle and some swag,
    Thanks to Greg Minaar, Imountain bike, Intense, BikeBling (and maybe some others I forgot) for their support.

R.S.V.P.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We have scheduled an official date to get some work done at Ted
    Williams. we need everyone help so that we can accomplish what needs
    to get done.

***Saturday January 30th, 2010 > starting at 9am***

As we all know, there are plenty of unused sections of trail that
    criss-cross the land at Teds, part of our agreement with the land
    managers of the DFG land is to close these unused sections down and
    let them grow back. In reality they arent asking for much, just some
    small consistent closures of the unused stuff.
    Keep in mind, we are NOT closing down any of the good trails (ie.
    4gies, Insanity, berms, etc.).
    Please show up and help us with this. All we need is for everyone to
    show up and put in a few good strong hours of reconstructive work,
    this will show the land managers that we are serious about riding
    there and that we want to keep riding there and are willing to put in
    some work to keep this priviledge.
    After we accomplish this, we will work on getting approval to
    'improve' the drainage issues with the good trail (ie. geting rid of
    the nasty ruts on the good trails).
    Please spread the word and show up, bring plenty of water and some gloves.
    if you plan on attending please email us back so we can have an idea
    of how many people we should expect.
    Remember guys, it's time for us to put some foot to ass and get some
    work done the right way.
    If we want to be able to continue riding at Ted Williams, we need to
    show them that we want it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

See you there jej

Thanks for the reminder.

Do people need to bring tools, shovels, etc.?.....or cutters for trimming brush (for the exposed rehab sections needing cover?)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Special Opportunity

This is a pretty special opportunity to enhance the status quo at TW. To all that can make it please bring your own shovel, rake, matock, rock bar, and gloves. I toured the area we will work on and believe me every lick of dirt that was ever on that old trail has been scoured away. Where there is dirt the rut is knee to hip deep.

This is a prime example of what happens when there has been no provision for control of water. Building without implementing water management ends up being the mechanism that ruins the land leaving scars that will never disappear. Then everyone wonders why land managers cringe when they think of what bikers will do to the land.

Here is a heck of an opportunity to give back and attempt to give the scars on TW a chance to heal and thereby buy not only some good will but foster a relationship with the powers that be.

Want to keep riding TW? This one way a big way to be proactive. When places get fenced and closed then everyone says we should've done this and we should've done that. This time we are trying to act before things get to that point.

Hope to see you there.

mtbr member
    I'm going to try to make it out...been meaning to check out TW for a while, figure this will be a good way...dont have any tools but can be some labor

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Awesome.

This sounds like an amazing way to keep ted willys ridable and sustainable. But I just hope all the jumps dont get made into table tops because of "safety" issues. Thats what makes sdmbas work unsatisfying. Not trying to diss you guys cause your awesome, but literally at la costa the jumps are pathetic

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Get A Little More Involved and Learn

Quote Originally Posted by powder
    This sounds like an amazing way to keep ted willys ridable and sustainable. But I just hope all the jumps dont get made into table tops because of "safety" issues. Thats what makes sdmbas work unsatisfying. Not trying to diss you guys cause your awesome, but literally at la costa the jumps are pathetic
    1) SDMBA doesn't have the finances to underwrite the liability of building jumps. The city doesn't want to pony up the money to cover the liability of building jumps. The USFS doesn't want to pony up the money for building jumps. The county doesn't want to pony up the money to build jumps. The state doesn't want to pony up the money to build jumps.
    2) The real jumps at TW are on private property so they stay as is. DFG doesn't want to pony up the money to cover the liability to build jumps on their property so they take them down or they get dummied down.
    3) I guess the pathetic jumps at La Costa are looking pretty good.
    4) Why don't you show up at TW and learn why things are the way they are. That could only help you understand and make you a more effective proponent of jumps.

mtbr member
    It was a great turnout. Made some solid progress esp. with water drainage... Here are some pics of the work

[IMG]IMG_5203[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_5208[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_5202[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_5211[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_5210[/IMG]

jej
    Jay The Hill
    May 2007
    A great turnout with about 50 people. Some solid work has been done. The raffle was awesome with everybody getting some swag. More info/pictures soon..

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007
    Good work and a fun time today.

That place has alot of potential. It would be great if we could eventually get some good quality single track snaking through those hills and reclaim the myriad of fall line crap.

Go big....Die young
    How can we have another one of these clean up days happen again?

thanks

mtbr member
    Everyday is a clean up day at Teds. Please pass it on if you observe kids trying to build tell them how important it is to maintain what is there. Any trash observed should be picked up by those observing yours or not. When I ride TW it's a volunteer day either picking up or dropping off my blood donation.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Since this has made it back to the top. I have a question; How is that place for a XC bike?
    Any good loops to run?
    Addicted to the dirt......with no hope for recovery.

mtbr member
    Xc bikes are futile there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Broke That
    Since this has made it back to the top. I have a question; How is that place for a XC bike?
    Any good loops to run?
    Not loops but there's some good bits that can be included in a XC ride

If you follow the ridge line south past the concrete pad it veers east then drops down to Poway Road. If you cross Poway Road you can pick up the Trans County trail west to PQ canyon, east out to Sycamore or over to the trails paralleling Pomerado up to the Scripps Ranch Singletracks.

There are climbable trails to the ridge line from west side (off TW parkway) or east side (off Meadowbrook)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mpmffitz
    Boy does that sound like a challenge!

I was born and raised in Poway ('61) and remember a lot of the trails around there.
    I've also been scamming them on Google Earth.
    Addicted to the dirt......with no hope for recovery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Broke That
    I've also been scamming them on Google Earth.
    You're Nigerian?

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Quote Originally Posted by mpmffitz
    Spoken like a man who has never tried.

Back off Iolta ln near Poway rd there is Ruffner ridge. It eventually leads up to the concrete pad at the top of the hill. There are a few challenging steep sections, a decent grind, and a few hair raising descents. At the top follow the ridge trail back towards Poway road. You can either take the fire road (look for it from Poway rd) or if you want a challenge, there is a ridge trail that heads west towards Sabre Springs park. I agree with rodster the on its own Ted Williams is not a destination ride for cc but loop it with other portions and it makes for some decent altitude added to your ride.
    Last edited by bankerboy; 07-09-2010 at 02:49 PM.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I ride TW as a XC ride several times a week. I live fairly close and can ride to the trail head, so it's my go-to ride when I don't have a lot of time, want a heart-pumping climb and (for me) a rather exciting and technical downhill section. I ride it on a 4'' Klein Palomino.

I start at the stone bench on Cross Rock and follow the trial, staying to the right of the fence with the holes in it, and go straight up to the concrete pad. It's a decent climb, not too long, but plenty steep and loose for me.

There's a fair amount of fun single track at the top that I trace back down to a trail that runs along a ridge, it's alternatively flat in some spots and steep/rocky in others. It eventually leads down to the cul-de-sac by Meadow Brook school. From there, I pick one of the many single tracks that criss-cross the bottom section, work my way back to the fence, go through a hole, up and down one last bit of single track and back the way I came. Takes me about 45 minutes.

If I want to lengthen out the ride a bit, I take a really fun trail down to Poway Road instead of going to the cul-de-sac. Then I try to climb up a very steep trail that actually scares me because there is cross on the trail as a dedication to a guy that died of cardiac arrest doing the same climb. It's got pictures of his young children; a note from his wife. It's quite a sad story. Rumor has it that he was riding with the guy that owns Bike Empire when it happened, but I have never confirmed this. All I know is that I find myself avoiding this section more since having kids of my own. Sorry for the depressing side-note.

Anyway, that trail eventually links back up with the trail to the cul-de-sac, making a big "figure 8" out of the ride. Takes about an hour and half.

I don't know that i would drive a great distance to do this ride, but if you live in the area, it's worth doing. If you're into jumps as a reward for all your huffing and puffing, there's plenty of those as well.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    It seems a lot more neglected then it has in the past. I also noticed some trails were closed down.

mtbr member
    How do you get there? Looks like fun.

mtbr member
    Look up mtblocos too...

mtbr member
    noones going to get pissed if they find somone grooming it a bit would they?
    because we all know that many of the *obsticals* are pritty wore out and need a little boost.....

Go big....Die young
    Quote Originally Posted by noserider4life
    noones going to get pissed if they find somone grooming it a bit would they?
    because we all know that many of the *obsticals* are pritty wore out and need a little boost.....
    Dude im down to help!! Berms needs some major love so does Insanity!! let me know when you go out there i live right down the street.

mtbr member
    yea ill PM you when ever i do....ill probly just ride around first and figure what needs to be done