Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Recommended Trails in Pasadena

Gonna be in town in December and will have my bike - Staying in Walnut but Pasadena is not far. Any recommended trails from XCish style riding, SS friendly trails?

official eMpTyBRain
    Ride up Lower and Upper Brown Mtn. Those are overgrown fireroads that are now basically down to mostly smooth ST. The Upper section does have some small technical stuff mixed in every once in a while. If you want some challenging technical ST to test your skills, drop in onto El Prieto ST which is located near Lower Brown Mtn road.

Geoladders -- Brown Mountain - El Prieto
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Not sure how it'd be on a singlespeed, buy I'd try to get up to the old hotel site via Echo Mtn (Sam Merrill trail). It's 2.5 miles of pretty steep climbing, but once at the top you can check out what remains of the old tram, hotel, and railway, along with taking in some great views of the LA basin. Then you can blast down Sunset trail, and possibly continue on to ride out of Millard canyon to the El Prieto trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Most of the Mt. Wilson hiking trails have epic climbs and amazing descents. But I'm a wimp and couldn't imagine riding them on a SS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You are going to be hurting on a SS no matter where you ride on the front side of the San Gabes, but maybe you are a stud. Worth pushing it up to ride back down El Prieto. You could also get someone to drop you off at Mt. Wilson and ride back down. Walnut is also pretty close to Monroe Truck Trail, which might not be so bad on a single speed. It's also shuttleable.

mtbr member
    there are a few people shuttling mt wilson now. For around $15 or so they will give you a ride to the top.

GMR (Monroe Truck Trail) is closer to walnut

Sled of Lead.
    Monroe Truck Trail is very single speed friendly.
    Geoladders -- Monroe Truck Trail - Mystic

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead-Sled View Post
    Monroe Truck Trail is very single speed friendly.
    Geoladders -- Monroe Truck Trail - Mystic
    I'm not sure I'd describe it as "friendly" . . . its 8 miles and over 2500' of elevation gain. Its long, even on a geared bike. However, its not terribly steep or technical so if you've got the strength, it should be doable . . . the way down is GREAT. Just watch for hikers as you near the bottom.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    I agree with GMR suggestion, if you wan t something closer. The last time I was up there I got freaked out by some Bow hunters popping out of nowhere. If you are a real man and want technical climbs. Hit up Mt Wilson trail single track, It's all techy single track climb for at least 8 miles.
    Have a safe and fun ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirthugger View Post
    The last time I was up there I got freaked out by some Bow hunters popping out of nowhere.
    Yeah I saw them last weekend too. Luckily OO7 had his PPK.
    definite malingerer

Hello
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirthugger View Post
    I agree with GMR suggestion, if you wan t something closer. The last time I was up there I got freaked out by some Bow hunters popping out of nowhere. If you are a real man and want technical climbs. Hit up Mt Wilson trail single track, It's all techy single track climb for at least 8 miles.
    Have a safe and fun ride!
    I remember I was climbing up the Mount Wilson toll road back in 1995 or so and I came upon two men wearing camouflage uniform riding bicycles (?) They were towing a trailer with a dead animal under the blood stain sheet. I think it was a deer they had.

I'm not really sure if they were on bicycles. But I was sure about the dead animal under the sheet with blood stains.

Just this past weekend, I saw two guys with bow and arrows while was speeding down on chaney trail.

sent from my rotary phone

official eMpTyBRain
    It is hunting season, ya know? Wait til the day comes when you guys chance upon some quail hunters holding 20 gauge or 12 gauge rifles.

Or...30.06 rifles!

b a n n e d
    Good thing my camelback and helmet are ORANGE!!!!
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    This was the El Prieto trail last week-end:

And this was the Monroe Truck trail this summer:

Both amazing trails. Monroe is an easy rolling single track with a scenic view. El Prieto is more challenging with technical sections. There are links to the maps in the description of both videos.

mtbr member
    Nice work Kermit. Did Nemo meet his demise on MTT?!

definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Poor Nemo, he might have run out of water while hiking up there. It was a hot day.

official eMpTyBRain
    Did a quick out and back on Lower Brown Mtn this evening. Here's a clip to give you an idea of what it's like.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    What's with the wimpy anti-hunting comments?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    These mountains are not your average hunting grounds. Most recreational users are Angelenos trying to escape gunfire.

mtbr member
    I'd hit up Brown and El Prieto if you can only do 1 ride.

mtbr member
    Like others have said, a single speed in the San Gabriels is going to be tough. Pretty much everything in that area has a lot of climbing, but maybe that's what you're looking for. If not, from Walnut you're closer to Brea/Chino Hills and Telegraph Canyon which has a lot of varying terrain and you should be able to find something there. I haven't been out there in at least a decade though so I can't speak to current conditions or access. You've also got Powder Canyon in neighboring Rowland Hts, but that's pretty much all dusty fire road that is used heavily by equestrians

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you are looking for a quick 2 hour spin try Cherry Canyon in LaCanada. Google Descanso Gardens. Its right above it. Nice small XC playground that has alot of easier flowing singtrack mixed up with punchy fire road. Easily done on a SS. Montrose Bike Shop does a group ride there every Sunday. Look them up or call them (google montrose bike shop) to get the details on time. Believe they change the time due to daylight considerations in the winter but don't know exactly when. That ride will give you the 411 of the place.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well, It's not Pasadena but you should really take a look at the Santa Monica mountains. Its by the coast, just keep going west. Factor in the climbing (7-14%grade) with an appropriate gear and have a great time!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Mt. Wilson

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    or Arroyo Seco next to JPL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast