mtbr member

recommend me some SLO goodness

I grew up in the bay area frequenting Demo, Skeggs and all the great stuff up there and now live down in Santa Barbara. Planning a trip up to see friends and trails next weekend and would love to hit a SLO trail on the way up to the yay area. Can someone recommend a good 2-3 hour ride in the SLO area? I have never ridden much in that area.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    check out the maps at CCCMB

montana de oro is great and you can put together some longer rides, can't beat the scenery either

west cuesta ridge is also a lot of fun

mtbr member

What kind of riding do you prefer? MdO has great riding with relatively mellow-ish trails. SLO has some more technical and rocky trails. Either one has good options for a 2-3hr ride. West cuesta ridge is fun especially with the new skills area in the eucalyptus grove.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I live in San Diego and was in SLO this week for work...I brought my bike just in case I had time for a ride. I went to Montana de Oro and can't wait to go back! I only had time to ride for an hour, so I rode a trail called Hazard (i think that was the name). The trail was not very technical, but you can get some speed and it has a good flow. I can't wait to go back and spend some time exploring all the single tracks I saw while climbing to the top.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'll show you if you want. We have a bit of everything, all depends on what you can handle...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeCoffee View Post
    I'll show you if you want. We have a bit of everything, all depends on what you can handle...
    Why do want more users on our trails?

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridezum View Post
    Why do want more users on our trails?
    Here we go again, build the Great Wall of SLO around the county, curmudgeon.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just asking a simple question, do you like crowded trails? I don't, do you own a bike shop? Why else are you so eager to exploit our trails.

mtbr member
    ridezum aka surferbro. My wave bi$tche$ go home. ha ha.

Can't wait to post pictures of the stuff I find all over the internets turning SLO into the next Fruita.

mtbr member
    in all seriousness I am most likely gonna hit up MDO as I was up there recently without my bike and thought the trails looked good. Thanks for the constructive posts to those that had them, Ridesum, maybe we can connect and you can show me some of your secret bike paths.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridezum View Post
    Just asking a simple question, do you like crowded trails? I don't, do you own a bike shop? Why else are you so eager to exploit our trails.
    I build trails. People who never help build or maintain and just ride them are the exploiters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails recommend me some SLO goodness-dsc00216-large-.jpg  

recommend me some SLO goodness-dsc00144.jpg  

Last edited by slocaus; 02-08-2013 at 09:53 AM.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This is not the first time you've called me out and I've already answered your simple questions with simple answers before... so what's your deal? Are you just here to stalk people that talk about SLO and scare away any potential people that might actually travel around rather than be cave dwellers like you seem to be? I don't think you even ride, but I'll answer your questions once more for shits and giggles:

I don't and that's why I don't typically go to the "main areas" on the weekends...but if I do I am level headed enough to realize it's just going to be a mellow day and I'm going to have to get off my bike a lot and say hi to a lot of people who have an equal amount of right to be out there enjoying the trail. What do you consider crowded anyways and when are you riding? I ride 4 days a week and other than MDO or Johnson/Irish on the weekends you'd be lucky to see more than a few others out on the trail.

I actually work at a motorcycle shop (sort of), I've been a moto guy my whole life, just a recent transplant to the pedal side of things. I've lived in this county for 27+ years (I'm only 30 ). I like riding mountain bikes, I also happen to be a hard working trail digger who knows the more people on bikes means the more people supporting new trail and that means MORE NEW TRAILS. You sir, are very closed minded and your locals only attitude is actually doing more harm than good. The growth of our local riding scene is a good thing, in a years time we are going to have the whole other side of MDO opened up and maybe even all the way to Avila. This isn't happening because we don't let the outsiders in.

This is a college town and people come and go. What we need is more die-hard mtb'ers that not only talk the talk but walk the walk. My open invite to people to go riding with me has led me to a good # of new mtb friends as well as pushing myself and others to become very involved in not only tearing the trail up but also building and maintaining it. I also got shown around some places in SB and Santa Cruz in exchange for me showing them around SLO. It's really a win-win to be friendly with people. If you actually want to do something good for our local riding scene, meet me down at the Eucs Feb 17th @ 9 for the big CCCMB/FASTA work day. We can do some trailwork, have a beer, and then get our ride on. Hopefully you move more dirt with your hands than you do with your mouth.

mtbr member
    guys like this are always gonna get butt hurt over what they perceive as an invasion onto "their" trails. I personally couldn't care less. I grew up riding Santa Cruz and Bay Area trails in the 90's when everything was illegal and we had to break the law to ride great trails, having some dood on a forum get bent because people out of his zipcode are riding well known trails is awesomely amusing.

It was inevitable that as access opened up sooner or later the mouth breathers of the mountain bike community would turn on their brothers to protect what they consider to be their trails. Same kinda guys that you invite to a party and they steal your shite....

FreeCoffee and others, I will be up there on Friday, maybe you could show me round.

mtbr member

Everyone rides a new trail somewhere else, and its great. The fun of "discovering" a new trail is great fun. Come ride the trails, enjoy, and be courteous to other trail users.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm doing a quick ride on Friday about 4ish, have to be home by 6. Saturday I'm totally open, just let me know a time so I can drop my daughter off with Grandma.