Front Range, Colorado

Reading The Forest Floor Can Save Your Life.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This warning coming from several recent fatalities in our National Parks.

Warning:
    The National Park Rangers are advising hiker's & biker's in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
    They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking & biking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker or biker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
    Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
    It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat [droppings] so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
    Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells, bike parts and smell like pepper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 06-03-2008 at 05:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Don't forget to unswerve!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    LOLS.

dirtjanky, i am sure you are rooting for those poor bears. guessing you hate when the evil white man enters the bears home and rides bikes / hikes through it. aaaaahhhh... poor wittle bears.

i've come up on bears a few times. trail running (swift and silent) in the Olympic Rainforest. yes, it's a national park. RIGHT AT THE TRAILHEAD: "No weapons on the trails".

like.. forget the constitution of the United States and OUR PHUCKING RIGHTS.. your are in a National Park. your park. a park of the people. pay your money and the the bears to the rest.

anyways.. i come rushing up on this bear and it takes off into the DENSE forest fauna.. just thrashing. i know it's something big. i pull out my knive (big Kershaw pig sticker). it starts going up this tree about 15-20 yards from me.. my knees get weak. this little pointy thing in my hand feels like a needle.

it kinda hangs part way up .. i am thinking "I heard bears were good tree climbers.. that phat phuck can't do $hit!". i make some rather odd squawk and it just grabs the tree by all fours and humps up it in a matter of seconds, finds a sturdy branchs, gets all 4 paws on it, balances its 350-400# body on there and just stares at me.. silent and motionless.. head stooped.

i back away slowly, return the knife to the sheath.... then book the phuck out.

about an hour later i come up on another fat bear. wtf.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by mild beast
    LOLS.

dirtjanky, i am sure you are rooting for those poor bears. guessing you when the evil white man enters the bears home and rides bikes / hikes through it. aaaaahhhh... poor wittle bears.

i've come up on bears a few times. trail running (swift and silent) in the Olympic Rainforest. yes, it's a national park. RIGHT AT THE TRAILHEAD: "No weapons on the trails".

like.. forget the constitution of the United States and OUR ING RIGHTS.. your are in a National Park. your park. a park of the people. pay your money and the the bears to the rest.

anyways.. i come rushing up on this bear and it takes off into the DENSE forest fauna.. just thrashing. i know it's something big. i pull out my knive (big Kershaw pig sticker). it starts going up this tree about 15-20 yards from me.. my knees get weak. this little pointy thing in my hand feels like a needle.

it kinda hangs part way up .. i am thinking "I heard bears were good tree climbers.. that phat can't do $hit!". i make some rather odd squawk and it just grabs the tree by all fours and humps up it in a matter of seconds, finds a sturdy branchs, gets all 4 paws on it, balances its 350-400# body on there and just stares at me.. silent and motionless.. head stooped.

i back away slowly, return the knife to the sheath.... then book the out.

about an hour later i come up on another fat bear. wtf.
    Mild Beast,

1] You did read the whole story, no?
    2] You do understand the importance of reading "scat", no?
    3] Knowing the difference in the diets between the two species by reading "scat", no?
    Having the knowledge of doing this correctly could save your life.

Silence and Thunder...
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    Mild Beast,

1] You did read the whole story, no?
    2] You do understand the importance of reading "scat", no?
    3] Knowing the difference in the diets between the two species by reading "scat", no?
    Having the knowledge of doing this correctly could save your life.
    ...or at least keep you from getting scat on yer shoes.....

...every day sends future to past...

pewpewpew Moderator
    LOLS.

dirtjanky, i am sure you are rooting for those poor bears. guessing you hate when the evil white man enters the bears home and rides bikes / hikes through it. aaaaahhhh... poor wittle bears.

whoosh!
    Love, Impy

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    dj.. jeez, i read the whole farking thing and i gave it a "lols".. a long read for an obvious punchline.. tho i wasn't expecting, hence the "lols".

dude.. i know my scat. believe me. i am mountain flogging mofugger.

i just felt the need to put a jab in to the sierra club / tree huggers of the world who p!ss and moan when a bear or mountain lion kills someone and then the critter gets its a$$ shot.

here... you go hug these guys

Last edited by mild beast; 06-06-2008 at 01:39 PM.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

mtbr member

holy crap that's a lot of snakes

most parks say you cant bring weapons but a fine for a first offense or getting eaten by a bear? you pick. how many rangers will check your bags? really why go some where with out being able to protect yourself.

Karl

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    my point is, the land mis-managers (NPS, NFS, even BLM) are allowing critters to be a managing agent. like in Yosemite, etc.. the bears rule. if they break into your car, it's YOUR fault. you get the fine.

they don't want you rock climbing in certain areas.. "OH MY GOD!!" some earth worshipping *****bag discovers that some lichen that only grows on that rock is "endangered".. ban rock climbing.

there's no end to it.

it's this whole liberal tree hugging bull $hit thing that just makes me sick. sick sick sick.

- Cicero

Glad to Be Alive
    dj..

]

man where is this....never seen so many in one place
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    was taken in Rosamond, Ca. (Mojave Desert)

but, anywhere you find snakes, you'll find this kind of thing happening in spring. they all get together and kick it in a pit for the winter.

one fall, was driving outta my favorite bouldering area. it was the first week of cool-ish weather. you could sense the end of summer. in like an 1/8 of a mile, i *cough* past 4 sidewinders. they were all headed to one place .. you could tell. it was a gathering. a pit gathering.

here's a little Az newz..
    http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...snake1010.html

- Cicero

pewpewpew Moderator
    omg thats a lot of snakes.
    Love, Impy

Geritol Power
    Those shots really give me the creeps.

dat
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

San Gabriel Mountain Bears

The bears are out in our local mountains also. These pictures are from 2 weeks ago near redbox. Every week Mr. Bear(s) has been leaving a big dump for me to dodge. He has been taking so much poo poo recently that I already named him Pooface. Good thing my cranks are creaking pretty bad and I am lazy to fix it. Otherwise, I would be meeting up with Mr Bear himself and having a talk with him about his pooping.

RAWRRR!!

Last edited by dat; 06-09-2008 at 05:10 AM.

Glad to Be Alive
    bear tracks too??? crazy
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Front Range, Colorado
    [QUOTE=dat]The bears are out in our local mountains also. These pictures are from 2 weeks ago near redbox. Every week Mr. Bear(s) has been leaving me a big dump for me to dodge. He has been taking so much poo poo recently that I already named him Pooface. Good thing my s are creaking pretty bad and I am lazy to fix it. Otherwise, I would be meeting up with Mr Bear himself and having a talk with him about his pooping.

Did you happen to find any bells, Derailleurs, cables or tire tread in his "scat" [poop]? And did it happen to smell like pepper spray? If not it's probably a Black bear and not a Grizzly.

dat
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    [QUOTE=DIRTJUNKIE,]
    Quote Originally Posted by dat
    The bears are out in our local mountains also. These pictures are from 2 weeks ago near redbox. Every week Mr. Bear(s) has been leaving me a big dump for me to dodge. He has been taking so much poo poo recently that I already named him Pooface. Good thing my s are creaking pretty bad and I am lazy to fix it. Otherwise, I would be meeting up with Mr Bear himself and having a talk with him about his pooping.

Did you happen to find any bells, Derailleurs, cables or tire tread in his "scat" [poop]? And did it happen to smell like pepper spray? If not it's probably a Black bear and not a Grizzly.
    Sorry Dirtjunkie, I dont like to smell or play with poo, I just dodge them. You should do the same. All of you should.

pewpewpew Moderator
    [QUOTE=dat]
    [B]

Sorry Dirtjunkie, I dont like to smell or play with poo, I just dodge them. You should do the same. All of you should.

whoosh!
    Love, Impy

Front Range, Colorado
    [QUOTE=dat]
    [B]

Man you're missing the best part of this whole experience. Who knows you might find an extra bike part or two. I say if it smells like pepper dig in and score a derailleur or two.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    lols.. ".. smells like pepper..". heh. now yer just talkin' sh!t.

- Cicero

5 x 5
    Quote Originally Posted by dat
    Good thing my cranks are creaking pretty bad and I am lazy to fix it. Otherwise, I would be meeting up with Mr Bear himself and having a talk with him about his pooping.
    Am I the only person here who found this exceptionally funny? "Having a talk with him about his pooping?" BWAH HA!
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."