Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rattlesnakes and Off-Leash Dogs

I apologize in advance for the rant, but here goes... I (accidentally) ran over a rattlesnake this past Saturday while riding around Cherry Canyon. Interestingly enough, I also saw at least 15 off-leash dogs during my ~2 hour ride. This is very frustrating to me for a number of reasons:

1.) Over the years I've personally seen 3 dogs in this area shortly after they've been bitten by a rattlesnake. In fact, last year I carried one of these dogs (a ~95 lbs Golden Retriever) down the fire road for a distraught older woman. I helped save the dog's life, but this idiot owner still lets her dog run around off-leash. Why isn't the danger of a rattlesnake bite reason enough for a dog owner to keep their dog leashed?

2.) An off-leash dog is a much bigger risk to everyone in the area, including other dogs.

3.) There are signs EVERYWHERE that state "All dogs must be on a leash."
    JA

CEB
    No horse'n round
    I bring snakes to the trails to play with the off leash dogs. Save that owner some money on dog food!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Good dog owners in SoCal have their dogs snake trained. A couple hundred dollars that can save you thousands. My dog will just about do a back flip when he smells a snake or a skunk. Of course, he's only off leash while we're hunting or in an area where it's allowed...

Ninja Master Powers
    ^^^^ I agree with snake training. I take my Ridgeback yearly.

I also have instant recall with him. Even with all that work he is very seldom off leash and never is off leash on trails. The only exception on the trail issue is long back pack trips in the mountains and then only after we are a good half day or more from a trail head.

mtbr member
    Everyone would be much happier if the park service would just leash up all the rattlesnakes.
    definite malingerer

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    Everyone would be much happier if the park service would just leash up all the rattlesnakes.
    Thanks, Ken.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    My dog got nailed by a rattler about 15 years ago. Cost me $1100 at the vet. I can only assume it has not gotten cheaper. She was running and was bitten when she came too close. Snake avoidance training is a good idea but it will not protect your dog against a snake it does not see. Your best bet is a leash. I always know it is going to be a good season for snakes when I start seeing all the little baby bunnies running around. If you see little bunnies the snakes are sure to follow and there are lots of bunnies this year.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Over the Hill
    Any moron that brings their pet into a rattlesnake area leash or not deserves to pay and suffer the consequences. The dog does not. So sad that so many dog owners are such stupid people. The innocent dogs are their victims, unfortunately.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    My dog got nailed by a rattler about 15 years ago. Cost me $1100 at the vet. I can only assume it has not gotten cheaper. She was running and was bitten when she came too close. Snake avoidance training is a good idea but it will not protect your dog against a snake it does not see. Your best bet is a leash. I always know it is going to be a good season for snakes when I start seeing all the little baby bunnies running around. If you see little bunnies the snakes are sure to follow and there are lots of bunnies this year.
    Agreed, I keep my dogs on leash because of both rattlers and Coyotes. Also it is the law

In fact I saw a Rattler on Friday afternoon, he was a young guy and did not even rattle when we came upon it, neither of my dogs saw it, and I stopped so fast my wife and other dog ran into the back of me. I am not sure rattle snake training will do much for a dog if the snake does not warn ya. Here is the picture I took of him as he started to back into the bush:

[/URL]

Not once did he rattle at us, which is very scary in of itself. This was at on the hill above the south east side of Lake Calavera in Oceanside/Carlsbad.

Quote Originally Posted by Club Mud View Post
    Any moron that brings their pet into a rattlesnake area leash or not deserves to pay and suffer the consequences. The dog does not. So sad that so many dog owners are such stupid people. The innocent dogs are their victims, unfortunately.
    I think calling someone who goes hiking on a multi-use trail with a dog on leash a moron is a bit harsh.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    This is SoCal. Everywhere is a rattlesnake area including most off leash dog parks.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    ^ No, no, no. This is not the answer.

Insist, FIRMLY, that the dog owner places their dog(s) back onto the leash(es) before they leave your sight. Furthermore, if they seem uncooperative, take their picture with your phone and let them know that you will be reporting the activity to the local law enforcement agencies including Animal Control.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    Snake avoidance training is a good idea but it will not protect your dog against a snake it does not see.
    Fortunately dogs eyes come in third or fourth when it comes to their senses. I hunt upland game all over Southern California and Southern Arizona. My buddies all hunt in the same areas, we all have our dogs trained. None of us with avoidence trained dogs have had a bit dog and we are in the snakiest places with the dogs running through busting birds.

Rainey Ranch Retrievers is who trained my dog. It's intense but my god does it work.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudge13 View Post
    Fortunately dogs eyes come in third or fourth when it comes to their senses. I hunt upland game all over Southern California and Southern Arizona. My buddies all hunt in the same areas, we all have our dogs trained. None of us with avoidence trained dogs have had a bit dog and we are in the snakiest places with the dogs running through busting birds.

Rainey Ranch Retrievers is who trained my dog. It's intense but my god does it work.
    While I think Snake Avoidance training is great, there is no amount of training that can save a dog that chases a rabbit into a bush where a rattler happens to be lying in wait, no matter how much training an accident can still happen. Just because it has not happened yet does not mean it wont.

I have a few other personal reasons to keep my dogs on leash besides just Rattle Snakes, however when possible(dog parks, big yards, etc) I love letting them off leash so they can run and run and run.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If your dog chases a rabbit, you don't have a well trained dog. Period. That's ok though, most people don't. Those people need leashes for their dogs. For me and my dog, the only thing a leash does is make you feel better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    All that said, if I'm in an area where leashes are the law, my dog is leashed.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudge13 View Post
    If your dog chases a rabbit, you don't have a well trained dog. Period.
    That is a debatable sentence. Most dogs chase things by instinct, and Terriers especially like to chase rodents, it is literally bred into them. I don't think a dog that likes to chase things is a un-trained dog, it has just not had its will broken to stop it from doing what instinct tells it to do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Will broken = properly trained.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    For my part, I used to stop my bike and warn anybody I saw out on snake infested trails with an off-leash dog about what danger they were in. These days, I don't bother. Let Nature take its course.
    The same goes for trail runners with both ears stopped up by ipod buds. Let 'em find out the hard way.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Are you guys aware of any good trainers in OC (for snake stuff). I've got a 5 month old ACD I'd like to work with / send.

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post

I think calling someone who goes hiking on a multi-use trail with a dog on leash a moron is a bit harsh.

Who's talking about multi-use trails? We're discussing snake areas. Are we on the same thread?

Does anyone actually think that a rattler is going to care whether his victim is leashed or not? You can take any chances you want, but the innocent dog is the one who is going to pay dearly for an owner's irresponsibility.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Call Rainey Ranch in Santa Ysabel and see when they're hosting again. (760) 782-0484

They have a guy out every spring...

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Shoot I had a scare in my driveway the other day - was bagging up some yard clippings and a young rattler slithered away under my hedge as I picked up the palm frond it was hiding in - couldn't had been more than 6" from my hand when I spotted it. I live in SD in a pretty urban area, so whoever wrote everywhere is snake country around here had it right.

Still, I saw a gal at Sweetwater running around off the trail in the grassy area at the east end near some of the older jumps this morning with her dog and couldn't help but think she or her dog had a good chance of stepping right on a snake running around in the grass like that.

Beer Please!
    Who's talking about multi-use trails? We're discussing snake areas. Are we on the same thread?

Does anyone actually think that a rattler is going to care whether his victim is leashed or not? You can take any chances you want, but the innocent dog is the one who is going to pay dearly for an owner's irresponsibility.
    I was on a Multi-use Trail on Friday when I spotted the Rattler I posted a pic of. The ONLY reason my dog is safe is because I had her on leash and stopped when I saw the snake and kept her back from it. I do not classify myself as a moron for taking my dog for hikes on these trails and keeping her on leash. Do you think I am a moron?

banned
    Jan 2013
    Parked at Hollenbeck trail head last Saturday waiting on riding friend. Car parks next to me and out pops the cutest old dog. Ancient springer spaniel with a white face running around with the joy and energy of a puppy.

Ten minutes later (if that) the couple was asking where the closest vet was. The dog had been bitten. =(

Bummed me out so much i had erased the memory.... until i read this thread. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    the couple was asking where the closest vet was. The dog had been bitten.
    I had that happen to me about four months ago but the dog got attacked by a coyote while off leash. They just don't get it.
    San Diego needs singletrack

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast