Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rattlesnakes and Off-Leash Dogs

I apologize in advance for the rant, but here goes... I (accidentally) ran over a rattlesnake this past Saturday while riding around Cherry Canyon. Interestingly enough, I also saw at least 15 off-leash dogs during my ~2 hour ride. This is very frustrating to me for a number of reasons:

1.) Over the years I've personally seen 3 dogs in this area shortly after they've been bitten by a rattlesnake. In fact, last year I carried one of these dogs (a ~95 lbs Golden Retriever) down the fire road for a distraught older woman. I helped save the dog's life, but this idiot owner still lets her dog run around off-leash. Why isn't the danger of a rattlesnake bite reason enough for a dog owner to keep their dog leashed?

2.) An off-leash dog is a much bigger risk to everyone in the area, including other dogs.

3.) There are signs EVERYWHERE that state "All dogs must be on a leash."
    JA

CEB
    The beauty surrounds
    I bring snakes to the trails to play with the off leash dogs. Save that owner some money on dog food!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Good dog owners in SoCal have their dogs snake trained. A couple hundred dollars that can save you thousands. My dog will just about do a back flip when he smells a snake or a skunk. Of course, he's only off leash while we're hunting or in an area where it's allowed...

Ninja Master Powers
    ^^^^ I agree with snake training. I take my Ridgeback yearly.

I also have instant recall with him. Even with all that work he is very seldom off leash and never is off leash on trails. The only exception on the trail issue is long back pack trips in the mountains and then only after we are a good half day or more from a trail head.

mtbr member
    Everyone would be much happier if the park service would just leash up all the rattlesnakes.
    buzzes like a fridge

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    Everyone would be much happier if the park service would just leash up all the rattlesnakes.
    Thanks, Ken.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    My dog got nailed by a rattler about 15 years ago. Cost me $1100 at the vet. I can only assume it has not gotten cheaper. She was running and was bitten when she came too close. Snake avoidance training is a good idea but it will not protect your dog against a snake it does not see. Your best bet is a leash. I always know it is going to be a good season for snakes when I start seeing all the little baby bunnies running around. If you see little bunnies the snakes are sure to follow and there are lots of bunnies this year.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Over the Hill
    Any moron that brings their pet into a rattlesnake area leash or not deserves to pay and suffer the consequences. The dog does not. So sad that so many dog owners are such stupid people. The innocent dogs are their victims, unfortunately.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    My dog got nailed by a rattler about 15 years ago. Cost me $1100 at the vet. I can only assume it has not gotten cheaper. She was running and was bitten when she came too close. Snake avoidance training is a good idea but it will not protect your dog against a snake it does not see. Your best bet is a leash. I always know it is going to be a good season for snakes when I start seeing all the little baby bunnies running around. If you see little bunnies the snakes are sure to follow and there are lots of bunnies this year.
    Agreed, I keep my dogs on leash because of both rattlers and Coyotes. Also it is the law

In fact I saw a Rattler on Friday afternoon, he was a young guy and did not even rattle when we came upon it, neither of my dogs saw it, and I stopped so fast my wife and other dog ran into the back of me. I am not sure rattle snake training will do much for a dog if the snake does not warn ya. Here is the picture I took of him as he started to back into the bush:

[/URL]

Not once did he rattle at us, which is very scary in of itself. This was at on the hill above the south east side of Lake Calavera in Oceanside/Carlsbad.

Quote Originally Posted by Club Mud View Post
    Any moron that brings their pet into a rattlesnake area leash or not deserves to pay and suffer the consequences. The dog does not. So sad that so many dog owners are such stupid people. The innocent dogs are their victims, unfortunately.
    I think calling someone who goes hiking on a multi-use trail with a dog on leash a moron is a bit harsh.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    This is SoCal. Everywhere is a rattlesnake area including most off leash dog parks.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    ^ No, no, no. This is not the answer.

Insist, FIRMLY, that the dog owner places their dog(s) back onto the leash(es) before they leave your sight. Furthermore, if they seem uncooperative, take their picture with your phone and let them know that you will be reporting the activity to the local law enforcement agencies including Animal Control.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    Snake avoidance training is a good idea but it will not protect your dog against a snake it does not see.
    Fortunately dogs eyes come in third or fourth when it comes to their senses. I hunt upland game all over Southern California and Southern Arizona. My buddies all hunt in the same areas, we all have our dogs trained. None of us with avoidence trained dogs have had a bit dog and we are in the snakiest places with the dogs running through busting birds.

Rainey Ranch Retrievers is who trained my dog. It's intense but my god does it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge13 View Post
    Fortunately dogs eyes come in third or fourth when it comes to their senses. I hunt upland game all over Southern California and Southern Arizona. My buddies all hunt in the same areas, we all have our dogs trained. None of us with avoidence trained dogs have had a bit dog and we are in the snakiest places with the dogs running through busting birds.

Rainey Ranch Retrievers is who trained my dog. It's intense but my god does it work.
    While I think Snake Avoidance training is great, there is no amount of training that can save a dog that chases a rabbit into a bush where a rattler happens to be lying in wait, no matter how much training an accident can still happen. Just because it has not happened yet does not mean it wont.

I have a few other personal reasons to keep my dogs on leash besides just Rattle Snakes, however when possible(dog parks, big yards, etc) I love letting them off leash so they can run and run and run.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If your dog chases a rabbit, you don't have a well trained dog. Period. That's ok though, most people don't. Those people need leashes for their dogs. For me and my dog, the only thing a leash does is make you feel better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    All that said, if I'm in an area where leashes are the law, my dog is leashed.

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge13 View Post
    If your dog chases a rabbit, you don't have a well trained dog. Period.
    That is a debatable sentence. Most dogs chase things by instinct, and Terriers especially like to chase rodents, it is literally bred into them. I don't think a dog that likes to chase things is a un-trained dog, it has just not had its will broken to stop it from doing what instinct tells it to do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Will broken = properly trained.

banned
    Sep 2010
    For my part, I used to stop my bike and warn anybody I saw out on snake infested trails with an off-leash dog about what danger they were in. These days, I don't bother. Let Nature take its course.
    The same goes for trail runners with both ears stopped up by ipod buds. Let 'em find out the hard way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Are you guys aware of any good trainers in OC (for snake stuff). I've got a 5 month old ACD I'd like to work with / send.

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post

I think calling someone who goes hiking on a multi-use trail with a dog on leash a moron is a bit harsh.

Who's talking about multi-use trails? We're discussing snake areas. Are we on the same thread?

Does anyone actually think that a rattler is going to care whether his victim is leashed or not? You can take any chances you want, but the innocent dog is the one who is going to pay dearly for an owner's irresponsibility.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Call Rainey Ranch in Santa Ysabel and see when they're hosting again. (760) 782-0484

They have a guy out every spring...

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Shoot I had a scare in my driveway the other day - was bagging up some yard clippings and a young rattler slithered away under my hedge as I picked up the palm frond it was hiding in - couldn't had been more than 6" from my hand when I spotted it. I live in SD in a pretty urban area, so whoever wrote everywhere is snake country around here had it right.

Still, I saw a gal at Sweetwater running around off the trail in the grassy area at the east end near some of the older jumps this morning with her dog and couldn't help but think she or her dog had a good chance of stepping right on a snake running around in the grass like that.

Who's talking about multi-use trails? We're discussing snake areas. Are we on the same thread?

Does anyone actually think that a rattler is going to care whether his victim is leashed or not? You can take any chances you want, but the innocent dog is the one who is going to pay dearly for an owner's irresponsibility.
    I was on a Multi-use Trail on Friday when I spotted the Rattler I posted a pic of. The ONLY reason my dog is safe is because I had her on leash and stopped when I saw the snake and kept her back from it. I do not classify myself as a moron for taking my dog for hikes on these trails and keeping her on leash. Do you think I am a moron?

banned
    Jan 2013
    Parked at Hollenbeck trail head last Saturday waiting on riding friend. Car parks next to me and out pops the cutest old dog. Ancient springer spaniel with a white face running around with the joy and energy of a puppy.

Ten minutes later (if that) the couple was asking where the closest vet was. The dog had been bitten. =(

Bummed me out so much i had erased the memory.... until i read this thread. Thanks.

Let's build one more
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    the couple was asking where the closest vet was. The dog had been bitten.
    I had that happen to me about four months ago but the dog got attacked by a coyote while off leash. They just don't get it.
    Ryan McLatchy, you are my hero

"We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My dogs are usualy leashed but I have them vaccinated every 3 years against rattlesnake venom.It costs about $60 here in Escondido

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    We had our collie vax'd with Red Rock. It's an annual vaccine that lessens the effects of a bite so you have time to get to the vet for antivenin. It's only 35 or 40 bucks.

banned
    On a hike yesterday evening we saw a couple and their off-leash dog come up the dirt road we were to head down. Not 10 feet from where they passed by was a very small rattler. They never saw it and we almost walked over it.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchD View Post
    My dogs are usualy leashed but I have them vaccinated every 3 years against rattlesnake venom.It costs about $60 here in Escondido
    I did not even know there was an anti-venom type vaccine for dogs, very cool.

b a n n e d
    I did not even know there was an anti-venom type vaccine for dogs, very cool.
    I don't think its quite a vaccine in the sense that it creates immunity, but I'm pretty sure that it buys substantial (potentially life-saving) time if bitten. Its a series of shots, if I remember correctly.

I'd definitely do it if I lived in a rattlesnake prone area . . . the biggest threat I encounter in Santa Monica are cougars.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    People get super self-righteous with their dogs, as their dogs "can't do wrong" in their eyes. They let their emotions and emotional attachment to the dog override their logic & reason. And I say this as a dog owner and dog lover. But we have leash laws for a reason. As you pointed out, it's for the dog's safety, and for the safety of other dogs and other people.

There are designated dog parks for off-leash dogs. Not sure why they don't use them.

I was taking the elevator to my apartment (I live in a high-rise), and soon as I get off, I see this pit bull with a football in its mouth. I personally am wary around pits, partly because my own dog was attacked by a pit when I was a teenager. The owner is at the other end of the hall, apparently playing "fetch" with his dog. I don't think he lives here; I think he was just visiting someone. But as I walk to my apartment, the dog goes after me, albeit playfully. I said "can you get that dog away from me?" He acts shocked that I would even say this. He responds, "she's just a puppy dude." How would I know that? It's clearly not fresh out of the litter as it looks full-grown. The point is, I have a right to not have other people's dogs jumping on me. I don't know your dog and I'm not your buddy. But he came off as very trashy, meatheadish, and uncouth -- tattoos, leashless pit bulls where I live, and jeopardizing everyone else's personal space and comfortability. When I go home I like to go to a place of sanctity, not having pit bulls jumping all over me.

Quote Originally Posted by NERVOUS View Post
    I apologize in advance for the rant, but here goes... I (accidentally) ran over a rattlesnake this past Saturday while riding around Cherry Canyon. Interestingly enough, I also saw at least 15 off-leash dogs during my ~2 hour ride. This is very frustrating to me for a number of reasons:

1.) Over the years I've personally seen 3 dogs in this area shortly after they've been bitten by a rattlesnake. In fact, last year I carried one of these dogs (a ~95 lbs Golden Retriever) down the fire road for a distraught older woman. I helped save the dog's life, but this idiot owner still lets her dog run around off-leash. Why isn't the danger of a rattlesnake bite reason enough for a dog owner to keep their dog leashed?

2.) An off-leash dog is a much bigger risk to everyone in the area, including other dogs.

3.) There are signs EVERYWHERE that state "All dogs must be on a leash."

No known cure
    My dogs are off leash all day long, every day on 30 acres of open desert. We have Southern Pacific and Mojave Green rattlesnakes. All over. My dogs have been vacinated, which doesn't work for the Greens and the get aversion training often. When you live in the country, you get a dog that can bleed several pints and make it home. If they don't, then you dig a hole. My Ridgeback and Wiemaraners are well aware of what they need to avoid.

My girlfriend and her friends used to lay out on the grass until they saw this thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rattlesnakes and Off-Leash Dogs-img00175-20120712-1804-1-.jpg  

Ripping trails and tipping ales

Quote Originally Posted by Augi View Post
    The owner is at the other end of the hall, apparently playing "fetch" with his dog. I don't think he lives here; I think he was just visiting someone. But as I walk to my apartment, the dog goes after me, albeit playfully. I said "can you get that dog away from me?" He acts shocked that I would even say this. He responds, "she's just a puppy dude." How would I know that? It's clearly not fresh out of the litter as it looks full-grown. The point is, I have a right to not have other people's dogs jumping on me. I don't know your dog and I'm not your buddy. But he came off as very trashy, meatheadish, and uncouth -- tattoos, leashless pit bulls where I live, and jeopardizing everyone else's personal space and comfortability. When I go home I like to go to a place of sanctity, not having pit bulls jumping all over me.
    I own two pit bulls and I hate hearing stories like this of Meathead, Tatted up Morons who just continue the stereotype.... I am mortified when my 1 year old puppy still tries to jump on people, or my 4 year old can't stop giving kisses (licking) people. I keep them in the Kennel when I have some guests to the house who are not dog people, other friends don't mind. I would never assume that on a stranger.

Over the Hill
    I was on a Multi-use Trail on Friday when I spotted the Rattler I posted a pic of. The ONLY reason my dog is safe is because I had her on leash and stopped when I saw the snake and kept her back from it. I do not classify myself as a moron for taking my dog for hikes on these trails and keeping her on leash. Do you think I am a moron?
    Not necessarily, but lucky. The ONLY reason your dog is safe is because you were fortunate enough to have spotted the rattler in time. The leash just happened to be attached. I have a dog, too. Like I said, the rattler won't care about the leash.

banned
    I own two pit bulls and I hate hearing stories like this of Meathead, Tatted up Morons who just continue the stereotype.... I am mortified when my 1 year old puppy still tries to jump on people, or my 4 year old can't stop giving kisses (licking) people. I keep them in the Kennel when I have some guests to the house who are not dog people, other friends don't mind. I would never assume that on a stranger.
    Add me to the list of pit owners who feel like they have to walk on eggshells. My 2 yr. old pit mix is mellowing, but still gets excited when guests come over and he can't keep his 2 front paws on the ground. Fortunately a loud "OFF" rectifies that.

I never take him out off-leash, unless it's in a designated place. And rattlesnake aversion training is on the to-do list in the next month or so.

CEB
    The beauty surrounds
    I volunteer at a pet rescue here in San Diego. I walk dogs of all shape and size. Some of the mellowest dogs are the "Terriers". There are ALL KINDS of terriers. Some of them have the dis-honor of being labeled "pits". Most are a mix with some other breed. As with ALL DOGS, never underestimate the centuries breed qualities of loyalty and protectiveness.

That is why dogs often get bite, they get between the owner and the snake in a protective way. Don't take your dog to a place knowingly full of snakes, just doesn't make sense.

As far as all you that have express a little intrepidation and uneasiness around large dogs, fear not for the dog, more for the owner. YES, big dogs have BIGGER teeth and strength to do damage, but I've seen plenty of ragged injuries by Beagles!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Shouldn't there be a law against a person letting their dog off leash except in dog parks in California?!?! LOL

I get my German Shorthair Pointer the RedRocks shot every six months and get her snake broke once a year. Right now my conerns are the damn fox tails. I'd like to see a law against foxtails! LOL Maybe Gov. Moonbeam could work on one, lol.

Bill

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Bill,
    Could you share the name of the rattlesnake aversion training that you prefer?
    That would be of great help to others and would make this thread worthwhile.

thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billinsd View Post
    Shouldn't there be a law against a person letting their dog off leash except in dog parks in California?!?! LOL

I get my German Shorthair Pointer the RedRocks shot every six months and get her snake broke once a year. Right now my conerns are the damn fox tails. I'd like to see a law against foxtails! LOL Maybe Gov. Moonbeam could work on one, lol.

Bill

mtbr member
    May 2012
    High On Kennels Tracy Jenson at High on Kennel is the only place in San Diego that I know of. The San Diego Sporting Dog Club San Diego Sporting Dog Club is having a snake brake with Tracy May 25. Contact the club to see if they have spots open or Tracy for future events. Bill
    Last edited by Billinsd; 04-27-2013 at 09:25 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    people must own some really stupid breeds of dogs.

I owned german shepards and they always instinctively knew snakes were dangerous, there was never any training necessary.

Of course a dog that size you also dont have to worry about coyotes and such.

mistereckz
    Weekend warrior outdoorsman/women are sooo funny. I can't tell you how many times I've had one of these tools stop me (with my dog) in a parking area or on a trail to try and warn me about the perils of snakes and such. "You're gonna' want to be careful, and make sure you keep your dog on his leash. There are lots of snakes out here. I saw (insert number here) rattlesnakes on the trail today." Thanks genius, it's called nature, and it's exactly why I am here.
    Congratulations on discovering the great outdoors. All are welcome. However, if you don't understand that there are dangers about you should probably just stay in your little hobbit-hole where everything is safe and warm.
    I wouldn't argue about dogs being off leash as it pertains to trail conflict. Leash laws are there so people or other dogs don't get attacked. If you know that there are others you should be responsible enough to keep your dog under control...But, take that out of the equation and maybe you should just stfu. People just can't seem mind there own business these days. Maybe it's a so-cal thing. I don't know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mistereckz View Post
    Maybe it's a so-cal thing. I don't know.
    It IS one of the few places in the world where everyone else knows more than the proverbial "you", so yeah, probably. Heh.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    people must own some really stupid breeds of dogs.

I owned german shepards and they always instinctively knew snakes were dangerous, there was never any training necessary.

Of course a dog that size you also dont have to worry about coyotes and such.
    I don't believe dogs "instinctively" know snakes are dangerous. Most dogs bred for hunting have a very strong prey drive and are very curious. That is how my dog is. Like people there is a wide spectrum among dog breeds and even within dog breeds. Bill

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchD View Post
    For the antivenum to be effective you need to get it once a year. I do it once every 6 months, the maximum that the vet will allow.
    Bill

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Weekend warrior outdoorsman/women are sooo funny. I can't tell you how many times I've had one of these tools stop me
    "do gooders"
    But, take that out of the equation and maybe you should just stfu. People just can't seem mind there own business these days. Maybe it's a so-cal thing. I don't know.
    LOL, could not agree more!!! It's a city/suburb "nanny state" mentality. We are at ground zero in SoCal. Get out there and vote and get involved.

Bill

mistereckz
    I don't mean to come off as an a-hole, even if I am. I don't mind someone giving me a friendly heads-up. I for sure would say something if someone was coming towards me and I had just passed a snake or whatever. It's the condescending tone that bugs me the most. "Do-gooders" for sure. The same people trying to regulate the playground when I take my kid to the park.
    Rant over. I just had to say something, as it's been bugging me for a while. Now, I think I need to get outa' here and get my head straight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: Rattlesnakes and Off-Leash Dogs

I think it's been said many times in this thread... If you live/play in a snake area, get your dog's vaccinated. Of course vaccinations don't work against Coyotes, but having more than one dog or having a guardian type dog (pyrenees etc. ) fixes that problem.

As far as off leash dogs go. If the owner is responsible and has a trained pooch, there doesn't seem to be a problem here. My dogs (border collies) do not chase deer or anything else on the trail. If there are other people or animals around and we tell them to lie down, they hit the deck and stay there.
    Cheers
    Ch

Sent using XT912 M

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by a250gpguy View Post
    I think it's been said many times in this thread... If you live/play in a snake area, get your dog's vaccinated. Of course vaccinations don't work against Coyotes, but having more than one dog or having a guardian type dog (pyrenees etc. ) fixes that problem.

As far as off leash dogs go. If the owner is responsible and has a trained pooch, there doesn't seem to be a problem here. My dogs (border collies) do not chase deer or anything else on the trail. If there are other people or animals around and we tell them to lie down, they hit the deck and stay there.
    Cheers
    Ch

Sent using XT912 M
    Speaking of coyotes, I've heard of a champion Rottweiler and a 230 lb. Mastiff that were taken down/killed by a pack of them. And the way that they did it I would not want to wish on anybody's animal, either. Not pretty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: Rattlesnakes and Off-Leash Dogs

Agreed w the above. Packs of coyotes are easily able to take down 1 dog, but will rarely mess with multiple dogs. I don't think Mastiffs and Rotties were bred for open country protection (like livestock guardian dogs) , more for structure/family protection.

True story... I have a buddy who lives next door to a sheep herder. Guy had all kinds of livestock losses from Coyote and Mt. Lion. He got a Great Pyrenees dog, said it would disappear from time to time and come back bloody. Afterwards he had zero livestock losses from predators (he doesn't live in wolf habitat). He believes the dog would systematically hunt the Coyotes and drive away the Lions.

Cheers,
    Ch

Sent using XT912 M

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by a250gpguy View Post
    Agreed w the above. Packs of coyotes are easily able to take down 1 dog, but will rarely mess with multiple dogs. I don't think Mastiffs and Rotties were bred for open country protection (like livestock guardian dogs) , more for structure/family protection.

True story... I have a buddy who lives next door to a sheep herder. Guy had all kinds of livestock losses from Coyote and Mt. Lion. He got a Great Pyrenees dog, said it would disappear from time to time and come back bloody. Afterwards he had zero livestock losses from predators (he doesn't live in wolf habitat). He believes the dog would systematically hunt the Coyotes and drive away the Lions.

Cheers,
    Ch

Sent using XT912 M
    The way that 4 or more coyotes would take down a large dog is for a couple to keep it occupied while the others worked at tearing out the dog's hind leg tendons. Once hamstrung, and only on it's front legs, it doesn't take long to disable one of those. then, while the dog is still breathing, they generally go in by tearing out the abdomen as far from the big dog's head as possible.

Coyotes are extremely agile, and I don't see a single specimen of any dog breed being able to resist a pack. A large mountain lion has been known to drive a pack away, but never a dog, to my knowledge.
    Then again, I ain't saying it isn't possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast