mtbr member

Rattlesnakes in Marshall Canyon

I saw two big, fat rattlers laying across the trail in Marshall Canyon this morning.

Nearly ran over the first one. They were both pretty dark colored and didn't look much different than the branches that litter the trails.

Guess it's time to start paying a little more attention.

Silence and Thunder...

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Time to start paying a LOT of attention!! It seems that we have a big crop of snakes this year, and they all woke up hungry last week! I've seen a few snakes (rattlers, gopher, 1 small racer today...) and many more tracks just in the last week.
    Beware out there... and watch where you put yer foot down when you stop!
    ...every day sends future to past...

Just another Homer
    We seen two rattlers, heard another and a gopher snake that played dead. He wasn't.Seems to be a lot of them this year.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Lord of the Chainrings
    Yep, dealt with a few so far this year.
    Be careful, be alert, and stay on the trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Glad to Be Alive
    I nhave seen a few snake tracks on Rocky Peak.......all yikers
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    We are talking about San Dimas, right? Sorry, new to the sport and first time at Marshall Canyon last weekend. As I was pushing my bike up some hills , I would hear a lot of "noise" in the brush. It almost sounded like giant crickets, you see, I've never seen a rattler live before and do not know what the rattles really sound like.

A few days after, I saw this thread and it freaked me out. Not sure what to do if I ever got bit. I guess it's great motivation for me to finish riding up the hill.

over researcher
    The first time I heard a rattlesnake, I had no idea what it was, that is until I saw it. Hollywood (the movie makers, not the city) has a way of teaching people incorrect things. I always thought a rattlesnake made a slow "rattle-rattle" sound. The snakes I've seen have a very fast, loud "buzz" sound.

*pause for google search*

Ah, I found you some sound bites of rattlesnakes. Enjoy. http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/sound...s/Snakes.shtml

Edit - Well, after listening to the .wav files, I guess Hollywood wasn't feeding me BS afterall. However, I've only heard snakes make the Rattlesnake and Rattlesnake5 sounds.

Edit # 2 - I agree with the words about the sounds on this page. http://www.geo-outdoors.info/pit_vipers.htm. I've never heard the Rattlesnake 3 sound, but I've heard 1, 2, and 4.
    Last edited by royta; 07-13-2006 at 02:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Yep, they could sound like a slow rattle or even like a "sprinkler" sound. To me every time I pass a bush then suddenly hear it...yep...definitely a rattler!!
    Finally, its all downhill from here!
    normdzn—mtbiker wannabe

Silence and Thunder...
    ....if you hear a "buzzzz" and the hair on the back of yer neck stands up, beware!

Definitly a good idea to do some research on snake bite prevention and treatment.
    I keep hearing more and more from 'professionals' that a good pecentage of strikes are actually "dry bites", which means ya got bit but no venom is injected. These are more of a warning/defensive bite than a mealtime bite. The babies are less likely to control thier venom. Not too many people actually die here in the states from viper bites, but be sure to get checked out asap if you do have an encounter!
    ...every day sends future to past...

Lord of the Chainrings
    Dang, now I'm scared.....I gotta sell the MTB's and buy a road bike! (not)
    Ever hear the sound of a stupid motorist?

...or maybe turn up the earphone volume on the iPod?!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~