Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,068

    Good job! Rangers remove "No Bikes" signs from Los Penasquitos Canyon trails

    You read it right: tangible proof that the community efforts coordinated by the Multiuse Trails Coalition and the San Diego MTB Assn. are worth the hours and efforts: the dreaded, yellow "No Bikes" signs were removed from several sections of Los Penasquitos Canyon by Ranger staff yesterday:

    --The North Trail
    --Little Waimea
    --Bridges Trail (singletrack!)
    --Sidehill/Lucas (singletrack!)
    --Lower Cobbles (singletrack!)

    Our work isn't done, and some may miss the "outlaw thrill" of riding the trails the entire community of horsers, hikers and cyclists have been sharing for years, but most of us will savor the importance of legal singletrack being restored at San Diego's Ground Zero for anti-bike legislation.

    Ride safe, ride polite, ride often.

  2. #2
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,286

    Excellent

    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    You read it right: tangible proof that the community efforts coordinated by the Multiuse Trails Coalition and the San Diego MTB Assn. are worth the hours and efforts: the dreaded, yellow "No Bikes" signs were removed from several sections of Los Penasquitos Canyon by Ranger staff yesterday:

    --The North Trail
    --Little Waimea
    --Bridges Trail (singletrack!)
    --Sidehill/Lucas (singletrack!)
    --Lower Cobbles (singletrack!)

    Our work isn't done, and some may miss the "outlaw thrill" of riding the trails the entire community of horsers, hikers and cyclists have been sharing for years, but most of us will savor the importance of legal singletrack being restored at San Diego's Ground Zero for anti-bike legislation.

    Ride safe, ride polite, ride often.
    I didn't start riding Penasquitos until the signs were already present so I actually was one to always abide by the no biking on the north side/bridges ST. It was kind of a bumer because not taking the bridges trail meant a longer and exceptionally more boring ride all the way around on very wide dirt road.

    I rarely ever rode lower cobbles since it just didn't fit into the loop that I did but it's nice to have that as a legal option for those times when the route is different. it sure is a heck of a lot easier and more fun descending lower cobbles rather than climbing the sh!ts.

    YR

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    I didn't start riding Penasquitos until the signs were already present so I actually was one to always abide by the no biking on the north side/bridges ST. It was kind of a bumer because not taking the bridges trail meant a longer and exceptionally more boring ride all the way around on very wide dirt road.

    I rarely ever rode lower cobbles since it just didn't fit into the loop that I did but it's nice to have that as a legal option for those times when the route is different. it sure is a heck of a lot easier and more fun descending lower cobbles rather than climbing the sh!ts.

    YR
    Bridges Trail singletrack is a great ride, and even more so in early morning or late evening when the deer are in the reedy area below the trail (yeah, I'm a hippie).

    Climbing the Sh1ts is insano...and harder now: there are two big "steps" the Ranger installed for the entrance to the new equestrian trail. Something to be aware of on decent, too!

    I've been meaning to ask you if you'd mind going out and filming "every trail" in PQ and the Del Mar Mesa areas, just to have it.

  4. #4
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,286

    I do want to film

    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Bridges Trail singletrack is a great ride, and even more so in early morning or late evening when the deer are in the reedy area below the trail (yeah, I'm a hippie).

    Climbing the Sh1ts is insano...and harder now: there are two big "steps" the Ranger installed for the entrance to the new equestrian trail. Something to be aware of on decent, too!

    I've been meaning to ask you if you'd mind going out and filming "every trail" in PQ and the Del Mar Mesa areas, just to have it.
    it again since the first time I did it was my very first video and I've learned a few things since then!

    I also think it would take two trips to really get all the footage. I'd probably play around with camera positions as well to get some different views.

    But, I'm game. I figure I'd record down the Sh!ts and up Cobbles. get each of the beans (or intestines depending on who you ask) all the way to the pavement. here's where it would get interesting if I tried to do it all on one ride.

    I'd want to get Eucalyptus for sure but I think I'd also like to capture Eucalyptus with the rear facing camera as well. Not sure if that can happen on one ride. then, head down to the bike path and take it back to my old apt. start recording again on the ST after the new bridge and the ST back down into the canyon. then, climb back up sidehill nad record the beans (or intestines) in reverse possibly by utilizing a lot of rear facing camera. Go down one of the cobbles adn then lower sh!ts (or cobbles, again, depending on who you ask).

    this would be most everyting with the exception of bridges.

    generally, I like to record when there are several riders that I can get behind. it just seems to make transitions better when you're transitioning not only the view but the rider in front as well.

    let me know and I'll drag the gear along.

    YR

  5. #5
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,286

    Hey

    do you know of a good way to connect Penasquitos to Black Mountain park? I know if you hang a right at the top of Powerline you'll eventually make your way towards Camino Del Sur and the new freeway extension and houses. But, A) that section of the mesa is mostly boring fireroad and B) it looks like an awful lot of pavement to get to Black Mountain proper.

    Not sure if I'd ever incorporate both areas into one ride, but the option would be nice I guess.

    a guy at SDMBA pointed me in the direction of some new trails in Black Mountain that start out by Fairbanks Ranch but head back towards the mountain. I haven't done it yet and I don't know where they actually join the mountain proper but I'll explore the area in the next few weeks. ONly problem is that when I figure out how they get to the mountain proper it will just be a big long out and back rather than a nice loop. but, more miles on dirt is never a bad thing I suppose.

    YR

  6. #6
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,085
    I'll have to get to Penasquitos again sometime. Haven't ridden there in about 10 years - or since they built up the Mesas. Used to ride from Cantina. I don't even know if I know how to get there now.

  7. #7
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,286

    Cantina

    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    I'll have to get to Penasquitos again sometime. Haven't ridden there in about 10 years - or since they built up the Mesas. Used to ride from Cantina. I don't even know if I know how to get there now.
    is still where many people still start. It's funny though. Cantina wasn't even in business when I started riding the canyon yet even I call the parking lot the Cantina lot. Guess some things remain the same.

    YR

  8. #8
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    is still where many people still start. It's funny though. Cantina wasn't even in business when I started riding the canyon yet even I call the parking lot the Cantina lot. Guess some things remain the same.

    YR
    Thanks. And before Cantina, we just parked at the dead end of Sorrento Valley Blvd. Or the best was going through the huge drainage pipe mid-way up Sorrento Valley Road. That was a trip - especially when we distubed a nest of rattlers inside the pipe about 3/4 of the way through. The sound of a bunch of rattlers going off inside a drainage pipe is not a friendly one.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,068
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Thanks. And before Cantina, we just parked at the dead end of Sorrento Valley Blvd. Or the best was going through the huge drainage pipe mid-way up Sorrento Valley Road. That was a trip - especially when we distubed a nest of rattlers inside the pipe about 3/4 of the way through. The sound of a bunch of rattlers going off inside a drainage pipe is not a friendly one.
    Damn, Mike, you are ooooold! My grandpa told me about parking at that dead end.

    I think my Cantina shorts shrank...'cause they don't fit no mo.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    ... ... I figure I'd record down the Sh!ts and up Cobbles. get each of the beans (or intestines depending on who you ask) all the way to the pavement. here's where it would get interesting if I tried to do it all on one ride.

    I'd want to get Eucalyptus...
    Your route sounds good, and the part about the trails above your old apartment will be Key: those trails are Very endangered right now, in terms of our access as development continues. They won't get bulldozed, but they're now on the radar for people that never even knew they existed before.

    The intestines/beans WILL be bulldozed in early 2005, so we oughta/gotta get them recorded for posterity.

  11. #11
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Damn, Mike, you are ooooold! My grandpa told me about parking at that dead end.

    I think my Cantina shorts shrank...'cause they don't fit no mo.
    Dag nabbit, and I thought I wuz pullin th wool over ever ones eyes. Remember Hollywood and Vine up on the mesa where all the dogs chased after bikes? Them's some old memries.

  12. #12
    "Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Reputation: Yeti_Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,286

    Scared the poop out of myself

    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    Your route sounds good, and the part about the trails above your old apartment will be Key: those trails are Very endangered right now, in terms of our access as development continues. They won't get bulldozed, but they're now on the radar for people that never even knew they existed before.

    The intestines/beans WILL be bulldozed in early 2005, so we oughta/gotta get them recorded for posterity.
    last night coming down Eucalyptus. I'd never done it at night before, but that wasn't the problem.

    I was following my buddy down and what sounded like inches to my left I heard quite the commotion in the bushes. Whatever we scared sure sounded like it wanted to be on the trail and not in the bushes. I heard it thrashing around a bit. Why does noise in the brush always sound like it's from a HUGE animal in the dark?

    anyway, another buddy was about 20 or so seconds back and when he came around the corner the deer was hauling @ss straight at him. Fortunately, it jumped off trail before anything else happened.

    YR

  13. #13
    If you have to ask...
    Reputation: miles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    650

    Remember? I LIVED there!

    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Dag nabbit, and I thought I wuz pullin th wool over ever ones eyes. Remember Hollywood and Vine up on the mesa where all the dogs chased after bikes? Them's some old memries.
    I lived at Hollywood and Vine when I was a kid! Actually, that's not true- I lived in the Arroyo Sorrento at the west end of the mesa, but spent plenty of time at my friend's house at H&V.

    This was back in the early 70s. Later, when I started mountain biking in the early 80s, I rediscovered all those trails from my childhood. It's funny the way things go. It absolutely broke my heart when the *******s graded the west end of the mesa. I still get sad just thinking about it.

    miles
    It's 7:09 California time

  14. #14
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    I lived at Hollywood and Vine when I was a kid! Actually, that's not true- I lived in the Arroyo Sorrento at the west end of the mesa, but spent plenty of time at my friend's house at H&V.

    This was back in the early 70s. Later, when I started mountain biking in the early 80s, I rediscovered all those trails from my childhood. It's funny the way things go. It absolutely broke my heart when the *******s graded the west end of the mesa. I still get sad just thinking about it.

    miles
    Sad, yes. Sad to think about all the open space being swallowed up by developers. Those were great single tracks that wound around the west mesa. I had friends that lived up there too. What a great little community - lost now and replaced with stucco.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,068

    Listen! Update: LOWER COBBLES changes

    Okay, public service announcement time.

    If you ride Los Pen/DMM, you know about Cobblestone and how Lower Cobbles is now not only legitimately multiuse and open to bikes, but how the lower section of it is Closed to Horses (in exchange for the parallel section, closed to bikes). The "no horses" section includes the popular Whoops and is the scence for two recent trail alterations. Since there has been some excited chatter today over them both, I made some calls and got the facts:

    1. NEW FENCES/CLOSED SECTION of Lower Cobbles.
    As part of the Trails Committee agreement to designate parts of Lower Cobbles as "no horses" and the parallel section "no bikes", we and the Rangers agreed that the traffic should be "split" all the way down to the funky road crossing at the base of Lower Cobbles, where one of the new kiosks is. This means that the last ramp-up onto the little triangular mesa, then the right turn back down to Lower Cobbles (before popping up the last ramp toward the waterfalls) gets fenced off.

    The fencing does three things: 1) it allows the Rangers and enviros to protect that scrubby grass that lives up on the triangular mesita, which turns out to be special grass; 2) it keeps the horses and bikes apart from one another until the kiosk/crossing point (where sightlines are huge); and 3) it completes the "deal" made for the upper and lower Cobbles multiuse designation.

    The fences were put up Sunday, torn down by some evil Hot Air Balloonists (I like the sound and image of that) and then replaced today. The ramps and triangular area have been scarfed up for rehabitation. PLEASE, don't mess with these fences. Please do enjoy the tunnel-like brush trimming job done on the section of Lower Cobbles we'll now all take on our bikes.

    2. ALTERATION OF THE BIG WHOOPS on Lower Cobbles.
    Somebody cut "lunch box sized" hunks out of the ramps/whoops on Lower Cobbles, just below the lips of each. This wasn't the Rangers, and there is No Plan or Intent to mess with these (these are Not places for fence posts to go in), according to the Rangers, our best friends with this trail. Whoever cut those in did it without approval.

    I haven't ridden them yet, but the word is, the cuts make it worse for both cruising and for catching a little air. This may be something we have to go out and FIX, I dunno yet.

    Regardless, notwithstanding any wild rumors or conspiracy theories that may spring to mind upon encountering the unauthorized work on the Whoops, then the new fences blocking the old ramps... everything is as good as it can be: the fences were known and planned, and the whoops are not slated for action by The Man.


  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,068

    Idea! How far have we come?

    I was reminded of this thread by some recent discussion on another site, and a rider's request for a copy of an old MTB map of the area. So, pardon the leap backward in time, but I thought I'd post a few images that illustrate where MTB access has improved, as well as where the developer's blades have devastated areas formerly ridden (at a time when there were less riders than now, but with more space).

    So, when this thread was created, we'd already lost the western Del Mar Mesa to Pardee's blade, and the "world" consisted of what's below:
    ...and what was green in the image above, which had been all closed to bikes, became open to bikes, except that the "splits" on Cobblestone were "added" to the network from existing trails and they're not. (Some of the orange, below)

    So, where are we with trails in the western part of the preserve now? Well, the bulldozers came back and got the rest of the western DMM, except for a sliver of Eucalyptus (which is hike/bike now, if you want a short nostalgia run)...
    ...but we added a new trail, based on a migrant trail coming down from Camino Ruiz park (the CamRu, poorly in orange below, also). So, what was in green, is all open to bikes and essentially insured against any more bulldozing: these are the trails left after the developers' projects are complete(d).

    The keen eye will note how the map "ends" far short of the eastern end of LPQ and only references what's now generally called "The Tunnels" but was then known as "Cambodia", an area of trails inundated with migrant camps and not nearly as desirable as what was on the 1994 (not shown) and 2004 versions of the map above. How times change, eh?

    Anyway, nostalgia concluded. Who's up for BLT this week?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ihaveagibsonsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    963
    Eucalyptus is a great DH BLAST! I have one of the top 3 "strava" times on the DH part ha ha ha. No one knows about it so I guess that helps :-X I plan on doing a shuttle of noble on Friday!.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,943
    Lol the old Cantina days. I ran that shop from '95 to '97.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Lol the old Cantina days. I ran that shop from '95 to '97.
    Cantina days were great. I bought one of the last bikes there before it closed.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,266

    Best loop ride??

    Headed down to this area for holiday... it looks like this could be a nice loop? If so what is preferred direction... and GPS map tracks available? What are some of the must hit trails and what is the maximum mileage you could get out of a loop or loops withought doubling up?

    Thank you!
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •