Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Rancho Penasquitons - Trail Conditions 12/18

Removed
    Last edited by moldau94; 12-19-2009 at 10:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Went by there today and they are still
    closed. It looked pretty muddy in some of
    the areas I could see from the ball field
    parking lot. I will be road riding till things
    dry out.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I don't know the exact conditions of the trail but they are still closed. You can check yourself here.

http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/parks/news.html

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Likewise with Sycamore Santee/Poway. Closed.

Looks like ATT is the best post rain/mud free riding for "local" e.county riders.

ocd
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Called yesterday, was told they are open

except for "a few single track trails"

Call the # on the website, there are updates if no one answers.

It ain't easy being Green
    Ranger Gina says PQ is open; the DMM fire road is closed to protect the vernal pools (I had not realized that "vernal pool" == "puddle", silly me) but the north and south trails are good.
    Sycamore and Wagon Wheel crossings are open although care is needed to avoid wet feet. Little Wimea is good.

There are temporary bridges on the horse trail from PQ to I-15, the TCT is in good shape.
    Further east, TW trails are rutted but very rideable (for XC at least).

rm -fr *
    the west end parking lot on sorrento valley bld has been open the last day or so

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Forget the boring PQ Preserve. I rode Santa Luz and Black Mtn. trails this morning. Conditions are perfect. Tight, tacky, no dust.
    If not biking, then what?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Or park at the end of Camino del Sur by the Mobile gas station, and ride the tunnels! They are in great shape! The other 10+ riders there yesterday could vouch for it too!

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Quote Originally Posted by S:Drive
    Or park at the end of Camino del Sur by the Mobile gas station, and ride the tunnels! They are in great shape! The other 10+ riders there yesterday could vouch for it too!
    Brilliant

Planning on robbing any banks while you are at it? It is probably a good place to post it too!

Change your post.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy
    Brilliant

Planning on robbing any banks while you are at it? It is probably a good place to post it too!

Change your post.

Sabotage. No bueno. Agreed.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I am with S:drive, I rode there the other day too! That trail rocks!

It ain't easy being Green
    Jeezuz Christ, some people just CAN'T keep their f***ing pieholes shut, can they?
    Does it make you feel like a big guy to stick it to The Man and then boast about it here? How about you stick it to The Man QUIETLY?

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcadbiker
    Jeezuz Christ, some people just CAN'T keep their f***ing pieholes shut, can they?
    Does it make you feel like a big guy to stick it to The Man and then boast about it here? How about you stick it to The Man QUIETLY?
    You know I usually don't say much about this sort of thing but I will now. Oliver and S:drive, you two morons need to STFU. Do you two twits not realize that the people who want mountain bikes restricted from that area will surely read what you have posted here? They watch these forums and use your blatant disregard for authority as ammo against the rest of us who want to ride those trails legaly. Do you want fences to go up? Patrols? Tickets? It is one thing to poach but bragging about it here reflects poorly on all mountain bikers. Please edit your posts.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcadbiker
    Work on your issues, while I work on riding all the tunnel trails!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy
    Brilliant

Change your post.
    Bad analogy! What a drama queen!

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    OK, bad analogy, I'll give you that.

But understand this. These are currenly closed areas. We all know where the trails are. Why the hell would you openly post that you are poaching trails that are being fought over? What possible good can come of it?

I am not passing judgement (read your pm), I would just think you would have the common sense not to publicly post your activities. Do you really think it will have no consequences? Just post responsibly. That is all I, and others, are asking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    At first glance, I would agree that we don’t need to advertise the riding of trails illegally, but what exactly ARE the consequences? I don’t think anybody really knows. Sure, some conjecture that it may negatively impact future legal access, but why? Is it because the folks sitting across the negotiating table are telling us this?

If we play the nice guys, might we just finish last? What do we have in the way of leverage, anyway? Might Civil Disobedience in the form of open defiance be our most effective leverage, as well as a legitimate and possibly the most successful strategy? Wouldn’t Civil Disobedience and open defiance be more successful with more trail users, especially trail users who are responsible citizens, with families, careers and who own homes locally?

Eventually, the LM wants to establish control of the area. Is the threat or use of Force the most effective and efficient strategy for the LM to gain control? Are threats and the use of Force just negotiating tactics? It seems that legalizing the status quo is the most beneficial outcome for trail users, and the most effective and efficient use of resources for the LM.

So, shouldn’t all parties to the negotiation know the status quo?

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    I want the tunnels as bad as everyone else. If you want to write about it, then contact your local representatives. Since these are public boards it is very easy to hit the print button and now a simple post becomes ammunition for the other side. Don't believe it?

The post below is about the Carrizo Gorge. The train tracks are currently abandoned. It is a very scenic ride. Yet somebody posted the dates of the rides and the railroad police magically appeared and issued trespassing tickets when in the past there was little or no enforcement.

Carrizo Gorge Revisited

About half way down....

Busted!!! Well sorta...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a lesson here boys and girls. If you're planning on riding Carrizo Gorge DO NOT advertise it on MTBR.

They were waiting for us this morning at Dos Cebezas (driving a military surplus OD Green Blazer by the way) to issue us an "Order to Stay Away from Premises". Here's my my own personal one for your viewing pleasure.

All I am asking for is common sense when posting. I have seen it posted here before and laughed every time I see it but the statement is "Fight Club rules".

If you don't know, watch the movie. It will make sense.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    BB quote: "I want legal trails as bad as everyone else. If you want to write about it, then contact your local representatives. Since these are public boards it is very easy to hit the print button and now a simple post becomes ammunition for the other side. Don't believe it?"

How effective do you suppose the posts in question will be as ammunition, and as ammunition for what, reinforcing the closure of a closed trail?

BB quote: "The post below is about the Carrizo Gorge. The train tracks are currently abandoned. It is a very scenic ride. Yet somebody posted the dates of the rides and the railroad police magically appeared and issued trespassing tickets when in the past there was little or no enforcement."

Heh! That would be funny if someone started posting up fictitious rides. That'll wear 'em down.

BB quote: "All I am asking for is common sense when posting. I have seen it posted here before and laughed every time I see it but the statement is "Fight Club rules".

You're suggesting we model our behavior based on the movies?

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Do what ever you want. I don't care anymore. I tried

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing in Action
    At first glance, I would agree that we don’t need to advertise the riding of trails illegally, but what exactly ARE the consequences? I don’t think anybody really knows. Sure, some conjecture that it may negatively impact future legal access, but why? Is it because the folks sitting across the negotiating table are telling us this?

If we play the nice guys, might we just finish last? What do we have in the way of leverage, anyway? Might Civil Disobedience in the form of open defiance be our most effective leverage, as well as a legitimate and possibly the most successful strategy? Wouldn’t Civil Disobedience and open defiance be more successful with more trail users, especially trail users who are responsible citizens, with families, careers and who own homes locally?

Eventually, the LM wants to establish control of the area. Is the threat or use of Force the most effective and efficient strategy for the LM to gain control? Are threats and the use of Force just negotiating tactics? It seems that legalizing the status quo is the most beneficial outcome for trail users, and the most effective and efficient use of resources for the LM.

So, shouldn’t all parties to the negotiation know the status quo?
    I see your point and that is certainly a well thought out arguement. However I don't think the two posters who were boasting about riding the tunnels fit the bill. If civil disobedience is the intended course of action then it must be publicized as such and done in some organized manner. If you want to know the consequences of bragging about riding illegally go to a PQ CAC meeting or talk to Ebasil. Aside from that I am in total agreement with you.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    I see your point and that is certainly a well thought out argument. However I don't think the two posters who were boasting about riding the tunnels fit the bill. If civil disobedience is the intended course of action then it must be publicized as such and done in some organized manner. If you want to know the consequences of bragging about riding illegally go to a PQ CAC meeting or talk to Ebasil. Aside from that I am in total agreement with you.

I think that's a good analysis.

I think quietly going in some closed area and riding can be a form of civil disobedience, but probably not very effective. If lots of people are doing it and it is being documented, then perhaps it is effective. But the documentation has to be able to withstand criticism and show the activity in a favorable light at the same time. I think that's a high bar.

In this case, if there was some documentation of the area in question before the clean up, and now that the areas was closed to legitimate us, you could show the problems had returned (trash, illegal camping as examples), that would be helpful. It wouldn't be civil disobedience. But it would be supportive of legitimate access.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    I see your point and that is certainly a well thought out arguement. However I don't think the two posters who were boasting about riding illegal trails fit the bill. If civil disobedience is the intended course of action then it must be publicized as such and done in some organized manner. If you want to know the consequences of bragging about riding illegally go to a PQ CAC meeting or talk to Ebasil. Aside from that I am in total agreement with you.
    Yeah, you have a very good point about the two posters.

So what exactly are the consequences of bragging about riding illegally, with regard to a PQ CAC meeting. Honestly, I have no idea, other than maybe some haters get all worked up, but what are the real consequences, and how do they differ from "business as usual"?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I only posted that I ride the tunnels to get the few people on this board worked up! Call it childish, but sometimes it is so amusing to watch people get so bent out of shape.

I am actually a home owner in the area, and I have not riden the tunnels since they closed them down. It is a pity, because I really enjoyed them. The problem, is that I get off the 56 every night, and see numerous riders heading that way nightly that dis-regard the rules.

So let's be honest, everyone still rides them and wants to turn a blind eye to this and just bend over and take it. I say screw it, it time to ride them again until they inforce it or open them up, which will not happen!

I can count on one hand the number of trails that have been re-opened in so-cal once they are closed.

It is time for the responsible mountain biker, and home owner in the area to stand up and just ride the tunnels. And do me a favor do not tell me to go to the meetings, because they are one sided, and will always be this way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast