mtbr member

Raining Today...Where to ride

Would like to go out for a ride tonight, but we do not want to ruin any of the trails.

I've always heard that Anderson Truck Trail is good to ride when it's wet.
    But I always read about cars and trucks getting broken into if parked under the I-8 Bridge. Especially at night.

Where is a good place to meet, where it's safe to park, yet not too much on-the-road riding?

Scott

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Can't you ride on pavement just one day? Come on, man.
    If not biking, then what?

mtbr member
    I live near one of the best during/post rain trails, Sycamore Canyon in Riverside. With the amount of rain we are getting, i would wait at least until Saturday. Thats IF the rain stops tonight. It is dumping water all day.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    The San Juan Trail--and/or Chiquito--handles rain very well since the soil is mainly DG (decomposed granite). Also, we didn't get that much rain, so it should be just about perfect!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 12-14-2012 at 08:34 AM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

I'm your density
    I wish this would be stickied -> The Ramblings of MTBBill Wet Trails Rating

San Diego got at least 2x the rain we were expecting from this storm, and more is coming. Sounds like at least 2 days for even the "best-behaved" trails.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Hold back, your trails will be better for it.

ATT is just fine 2 days AFTER rain. Some slight mud and silt build up , but overall DG smooth!

mtbr member
    I frequently ride cowles mountain while it's raining. It's too steep for the water to soak in, it just rolls right off the mountain. It's also DG so its a better ride while its a little moist.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Grab a shovel and beer. Go digging or just
    fix ur local loop.

I <3 Dirt
    Totally agree with ihaveagibsonsg. Cowles weathers rain extremely well.

mtbr member

Yup

I rode sycamore cyn today and other than the bridge over the creek in the Southeast corner being jacked up and the creek being a bit deeper the place was in great shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    I live near one of the best during/post rain trails, Sycamore Canyon in Riverside. With the amount of rain we are getting, i would wait at least until Saturday. Thats IF the rain stops tonight. It is dumping water all day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i rode santiago oaks yesterday in the rain and the dirt seemed to hold up great. didnt hold too much moisture on top, stayed smooth and just a bit tacky. perfect for railing the single track descents!
    we did climb mountain goat and for some reason it held a lot of water on the surface. it would have been a bad idea to go down that trail. there was also a couple horses out that were actually causing some decent holes.
    Juice

Warrior's Society
    We rode Harding to Motorway yesterday....rained on us the whole time. Mud was not an issue, nor was the cold......but we were wet for several hours.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
    i rode santiago oaks yesterday in the rain and the dirt seemed to hold up great. didnt hold too much moisture on top, stayed smooth and just a bit tacky. perfect for railing the single track descents!
    we did climb mountain goat and for some reason it held a lot of water on the surface. it would have been a bad idea to go down that trail. there was also a couple horses out that were actually causing some decent holes.
    Several trails at Oaks do not handle water well at all. Goat, Bumblebee and Deer get really bad once they get wet.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Has anybody had problems parking at Alpine Fellowship Church or Los Coches Creek School, then riding Anderson? I want to ride today, but will not park under I-8 bridge.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I hate to say it but I am a member of a few equestrian forums and facebook pages. Not that I am an equestrian but I like to hear them rant about bikes. Several of them openly admit that they love to ride during or just after the rain because they know bikers stay off the trails because we don't want to get our pretty bikes dirty. They post about it and nobody calls them out about the damage they do.

Trails around here that firm up quick after rains are Hodges, La Costa and the east side of Daley.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've parked under the bridge several times and haven't had any problems with break-in :knockonwood:

I would imagine that trail is a mess with the rain though. Lot's of ditches as well as loose rocks/gravel. I'd wait a couple days afterwards.