Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Rain is on the way!

Supposedly its predicted to rain all week here in san diego and am wondering what trails will be rideable without running the risk of damaging anything. I live over here in north county. I just got brand new wheels and have a new crankset on order and really wanna get out and ride!!! Any suggestions? I usually ride sycamore since its the closest to me but I know it will be out of commission for a long time if we get as much rain as predicted.

If not, i guess ill have to take out the road bike till weather clears up but Id much rather stay away from pavement. Heck, maybe it wont even rain, I only believe the weather forecasts about half the time anyways.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Typical So Cal, freaking out over rain. Who knows, use common sense. Watch out for flash flood areas. If a dry creek runs anywhere near, be extra vigilant. Heavy rains means your wheels will sink in and damage the trails. Light drizzle is not so bad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    well light drizzle already happened here in la mesa area. even if we get half the amount they say we will it's gonna be bad on the dirt/clay.
    so pissed cause today i was supposed to go for a ride, but didn't make it out. now it's gonna be at least a week without mtn biking.
    i'll be on my road bike as long as it's not raining
    hope the trails dry out fast.
    bikes:
    2002 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodember
    This would make a great signature.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    yes rallyraid, I tend to freak out over rain!!! only when it comes to getting my mountain bike fix! haha. but Im not one of those idiots on the highway going 40mph causing traffic 10 miles back on the highways.

I remember last year after a few good rains, the local trails were pretty much out of commission for weeks. I really hate riding after everything dries up and have to constantly avoiding everyones 2ft deep tire tracks. Makes for an unpleasant/angry ride. Figured id be courteous and ask about some of the trails that hold rain well..but its not looking in my favor.

Light drizzle is fine for me, it only helps pack down the loose dirt and soaks right through for the most part, its the 5 inches they are predicting....ohhh well i guess ill have to get the road bike ready for the next couple weeks...

master blaster
    im going to try and ride lake hodges tomarrow rain or shine.
    i love riding in the rain, i think if i had proper rain clothing i would do it more often.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    im going to try and ride lake hodges tomarrow rain or shine.
    i love riding in the rain, i think if i had proper rain clothing i would do it more often.
    i was over at hodges today. it is one of my favorite places to ride, nothing too technical but it is always fun. looks like the maintenance crew worked on most of the south side... in my opinion it was well overdue but everything looked good

I'm your density
    I haven't ridden enough during or right after storms to know where a good spot is. I have gone to trails that were closed when it's raining, or for a period after a storm (PQ Cyn, Mission Trails, Sycamore).

One of the worst trails conditions I've seen due to rain & riding was at Sweetwater, because of the horses that went out and made grenade holes all over the place.

On a side note, SDMBA did some trail work at La Costa (NASCAR) this past weekend. Part of it was to repair ruts. I wonder if that's going to all wash away.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Crystal Cove

Crystal Cove State Park Backcountry is closed for all public use. Hiking, biking equestrian. This includes all direct and in-direct access points into the park. Please call (949) 494-3539 if you need more information. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ride lots...
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyraid
    Typical So Cal, freaking out over rain. Who knows, use common sense. Watch out for flash flood areas. If a dry creek runs anywhere near, be extra vigilant. Heavy rains means your wheels will sink in and damage the trails. Light drizzle is not so bad.
    Ya, because that's why he's freaking out. It couldn't be that our soil is different out here (mostly clay) and takes a while to dry out and that some trails do better in rain than others.

It just couldn't be that.

That being said, with the amount of rain we're supposed to get, everything might be shut down. Try Bill's after-rain trail guide: http://www.mountainbikebill.com/blog/?page_id=127
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member
    Bill's guide is pretty good, but underestimates how long things stay wet in PQ. He's got a good rating for "light rain", but since that preserve is low on the water table and floods during medium to heavy rain, the scale changes radically with greater precipitation: 7-9 after an inch or two of rain and it can be much much longer if heavier rain comes through. As the rest of the county drains out, that runs through PQ, above and below the ground. The "below" part is why PQ doesn't dry out for quite a while: dig a hole after a storm and it will fill, like at the beach.

Glad to Be Alive
    why doesn't everyone put their bikes up for the week and grab a shovel and walk your favorite trail.....fix the blown out corner....fill in the ruts from the rain damage....make some better drainage off trails. Give back to what you ride all the time
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    why doesn't everyone put their bikes up for the week and grab a shovel and walk your favorite trail.....fix the blown out corner....fill in the ruts from the rain damage....make some better drainage off trails. Give back to what you ride all the time
    gonna be longer than a week. it's supposed to rain all week. gonna take another week to dry out
    bikes:

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by micycle mike
    gonna be longer than a week. it's supposed to rain all week. gonna take another week to dry out
    ha, i think its gonna take a lot longer then a week to dry out...but im gonna try to stay optimistic!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    just saw on the news
    carlsbad has .98" of rain already
    mission valley has .67"
    pendleton is at 1.13" of rain
    yeah i think it's gonna take longer than a week to dry out too.

edit:
    check out ocean beach, i was checking the surf cam to see what the weather was like down in ob and saw this
    bikes:

No known cure
    just saw on the news
    carlsbad has .98" of rain already
    mission valley has .67"
    pendleton is at 1.13" of rain
    yeah i think it's gonna take longer than a week to dry out too.
    It sounds like you guys are just getting some drizzle We've had over six inches of rain today in the San Berdoo Mnts. Hopefully that turns to snow soon, but it's only 38* out right now.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Just Ride!
    No trails to worry about. Took advantage of the brief sunny afternoon.

Ride lots...
    just saw on the news
    .....pendleton is at 1.13" of rain.....
    Interesting. I live just outside Pendleton and it doesn't seem like that much. Not disputing, just saying.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm just up the hill from PQ Canyon, and
    my rain gauge was showing 1.6" just a few
    hours ago.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    A part from a couple areas at Lake Hodges the trail holds up very well after a rain.

mtbr member
    biking on a beach?? all that sand?? what great legs you must have

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Last night the discharge in PQ shot up to 1000 cubic feet per minute on the 5pm snapshot and it looks like it went even higher between then and 6pm but I can't find the max figure. The highest previous on 1/17 was 1043 in 1993. I don't know what the all time max is. The height gauge got up to 8 feet. It dropped off pretty fast, but I suspect things are a mess down there in the creekbeds. The plains at the west end this morning were by no means the worst I have seen, but the peak flow undoubtedly did a lot of damage.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv/?s...agency_cd=USGS

i can't type the letter s

CEB
    No horse'n round
    1.75" from 3:00 to 6:00 PM yesterday in Allied Gardens (San Diego). Streets transformed into torrents of runoff 5+" deep. Many of the low lying trails should be ready to ride in 4-5 weeks by the time this week is finished. Rain is good, patience to get back onto the trails is better.

mtbr member
    + 1000

I wish people would give a little back to their favorite trails and don't leave it only to a few that do most of the work.

SHIVER ME TIMBERS said it right. Leave your bikes at home, go out and do some repair and let the damn thing to dry before you ride on it and casue more damage.

Hope to see a lot of guys out there in your trails.

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    THOSE WHO KNOW, RIDE TURNER

Liaison
    Please don't ride Sycamore Canyon until at least 48 hours after it stops raining. The park itself will probably be closed as long as it's really wet. Martha's can stand up to some rain but the roads back up (or out) of the park don't do well wet at all.

South of the gate you'll have puddles, creek crossings and the grasslands trails will be a mess. Don't ride them!
    SDMBA Liaison, Sycamore Canyon/Goodan Ranch Open Space Preserves

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast