mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Racing year round...

I posted the same note in DH/FR & we picked up some feedback.

Looking for more:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So we're dipping our toes into the race water here...

How much interest is out there for all season racing?

One thing's for sure around here: Besides cyclocross, racing shuts down during the fall / winter months. For those who ride all year round, I find fall and winter riding is often just as good as spring / summer, if not better... For starters, it's nice not having to worry about overheating. Another thing, without tree cover, it's a lot easier to see where you're going... & no bugs!!! ticks, skeeters, horse flies, etc.

Just wondering: if your local shop or bike org hosted all season racing, would you attend?

There's a local race series around here (Northern VA) that is held during the summer, usually Wed's during the month of July when it's so freaky hot, those who are not in peak condition really risk major dehydration, even heat stroke.

AND To me, it seems like the whole racing thing is sorta lacking new ideas.

Just wondering: if your local shop hosted races, what style of racing would you rather see?

e.g.
    solo time trail
    one one one TT's
    group TT's
    point to point races
    team races
    multi lap, long time frame shizick (like a 12, 13 hour event).
    other...

Winters around here are hit or miss... some are nice and dry, some it seems there's always ice or snow on the ground. Last year was the year of icey snow (it sucked). Soon as the ice from one snow melted away, we got another batch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm kind of new to racing in general, but I would imagine SoCal is just sort of following what the rest of the country does (having seasonal races that is). I pretty much agree with this-I wish there were more XC races, especially in Ventura county where we have some awesome riding around here (especially in the Malibu mountain areas). They all seem to be held on the west side of L.A.

It takes a lot to organize a race though...you have to shut a bunch of trails off to the public for a day (getting whatever permits and such that entails). Probably why we don't see too many events around here.

mtbr member
    Not exactly sure what you're looking for but SoCal has always had year round racing.

http://southridgeusa.com/

http://norbanationals.com/default.aspx
    nothing witty here...