mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Quick realease seat clamp???

On my 06 specialized fsr xc comp seat clamp there is a black plastic piece shim between the metal parts I must have over tightend and caused it to crack can I remove this piece and go metal to metal the local shop says I have to buy a new clamp???

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic85
    On my 06 specialized fsr xc comp seat clamp there is a black plastic piece shim between the metal parts I must have over tightend and caused it to crack can I remove this piece and go metal to metal the local shop says I have to buy a new clamp???
    There's no way that you should be able to break a seatpost clamp. Tell your LBS that it should be covered under warranty. IT's either a poor design or it was faulty to begin with.

Samsonite Tester
    Specialized uses house brand cheapos where they can. Try a Hope or Salsa clamp for longevity and quality.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Your Imaginary Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    There's no way that you should be able to break a seatpost clamp. Tell your LBS that it should be covered under warranty. IT's either a poor design or it was faulty to begin with.

On the contrary, cheap OEM products like the QR clamp frequently break and need to be replaced by better aftermarket products. Specialized builds a great bike but, in order to keep price points low they have to cut costs somewhere and a seatpost clamp seems as good a place to go cheap as any.

Pick up a Salsa or Hope QR clamp and you'll literally never have problems again.
    There's a fine line between courage and foolishness. Too bad it's not a fence.

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by CranxOC
    On the contrary, cheap OEM products like the QR clamp frequently break and need to be replaced by better aftermarket products. Specialized builds a great bike but, in order to keep price points low they have to cut costs somewhere and a seatpost clamp seems as good a place to go cheap as any.

Pick up a Salsa or Hope QR clamp and you'll literally never have problems again.
    Echo echo echo .....
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

right behind ya
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    Specialized uses house brand cheapos where they can. Try a Hope or Salsa clamp for longevity and quality.
    used a bunch of clamps for different rigs over the years and no are better than hope (IMO)- even salsa
    hard line, hard line, hard line after hard line

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CranxOC

I should have phrased it better. I meant that the seatpost collar should have been strong enough so that it wouldn't break. It obviously wasn't. Specialized should replace it whether or not the user buys a Hope or other clamp.