mtbr member
    Jan 2004

question about a trail

hi- new to this forum...
    i was up on mt.wilson yesterday (i drove there... don't have the legs to bike it quite yet), and i noticed a singletrack near where the road splits at the top... i forgot the name, but the trailhead sign says "west fork campground 4.5 mi" and has mileage to the gabrielino trail also. i walked the first part of it, and it seemed like it would be a blast to ride, but i can't find it in any guide books. does anyone know what i'm talking about? is it legal? can you ride it down to west fork and then ride back up the road to red box? anyway, any info is appreciated.
    thanks,
    jordan

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    hi- new to this forum...
    i was up on mt.wilson yesterday (i drove there... don't have the legs to bike it quite yet), and i noticed a singletrack near where the road splits at the top... i forgot the name, but the trailhead sign says "west fork campground 4.5 mi" and has mileage to the gabrielino trail also. i walked the first part of it, and it seemed like it would be a blast to ride, but i can't find it in any guide books. does anyone know what i'm talking about? is it legal? can you ride it down to west fork and then ride back up the road to red box? anyway, any info is appreciated.
    thanks,
    jordan
    Sounds like rattlesnake. Whatever it is, it sounds legal and i know it would be a great smooth flowing single track. I've ridden the Rattlesnake trail to Westfork campground and it's great, nothing technical, nice flowing single track. From West fork you can turn around and ride back the way you came or you can ride the Rincon fire road back to Red Box and then back up the trail head along the roadway. Beware! If your not in shape it the climbing could hurt. Make sure you carry enough water(refils available at RedBox) and don't ride it alone the first time.