Ya, right.

Question about burned trails

So how long should you wait to ride a trail system that has been devastated by fire?? I'm guessing at least a couple months?? The last thing I want to do is be the tool that jumps out there too soon.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My guess would be when they open the trails for use. That being said, It is hard to tell, if you are staying on current trails, I do not see a problem. It is not like dirt burns, my only concern would be the ash that is kicked up while riding. Maybe after a good rain. That is the best I can do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DSDuke
    So how long should you wait to ride a trail system that has been devastated by fire?? I'm guessing at least a couple months?? The last thing I want to do is be the tool that jumps out there too soon.
    You can ride pretty much as soon as the area is opened up, which is often a couple of weeks after the burn. It's important to stay on established trails - that was a regulation put in place after my local area burned. You'll see why - there are tons of animal trails and old roads and such that you never saw before under all that vegetation! But riding those IS going to cause ecological damage beyond riding the established trails.

Right after a fire, you can really notice the burned smell, but I've not had problems with ash and such. Probably best to wait a while to let all the microparticles in the air settle - but I'd imagine they've settled out by the time most places are opened up after a fire.

Although it can be depressing to ride a favorite area after its burned, it's also fascinating - you can see things you could never see before, and you get a different perspective on a familiar ride. And remember, fire is a natural part of our southern California ecosystem, and it WILL come back!

Glad to Be Alive
    right away.....but start organizing a trail day immediately.......erosion will be a key factor....on the steeper parts dig 45 degree angles off the trail so water doesn't gain momemtum and put huge ruts in trail.....also get out there after a ride and patch things up
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Chillin the Most
    If your interested in helping rebuild in the areas that burned near Whiting Ranch, contact Ken @ ShareMTB ( sharemtb@cox.net ). They are going to need lots of help.