Don't skid

Q's about Big Bear

I am going to Big Bear for the first time this Sat/Sun. and have a few questions. Are there places to rent bikes, I am taking my GF and she doesn't have a bike. how much are the rentals? What are some good cheap(er) hotels to stay at? whats the best bar to goto Sat. night? Anything else you can think of?

aka Willy Vanilly
    Hi,
    I don't ride there that often but here's what I've gathered:
    There are places to rent bikes out on the main street before head up to the base. Don't rent up at the cabin at the base of Snow Summit b/c their bikes are kinda crappy and don't seem to be that well taken care of (I could be wrong though).
    That's about all I can offer b/c I've only done day trips there. Good luck. Have fun w/ the dust.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

Unshaven Yak
    Yeaa BB!! I'm headed out there this coming weekend as well (with about 5-6 friends). This will be the first time none of us have to rent a bike as we are all on capable duallies! Maybe see ya there. I'll be on a black Heckler with a white helmet (pending new bearings from LBS).

Maybe see ya out there! SB represent!

mtbr member
    I was just there this past weekend. all 4 friends I brought had to rent(BMX riders I'm converting over to MTB) There are a few shops on the main street as you come in, they rented from one right before you turn onto the street leading to the parking lot for Summit. its a red hut kinda thing. decent bikes. I did see a shpo much closer to the entrance of town that looked to have nicer bikes. but this place shouls be fine, it was $30 for half day and $40 for afull day on some Giant F/S rigs. He gave everyone the half day price for the full day too.
    Cheap places - don't really know, I always stay free at my friends cabin on the base of the mountain, but there are tons of places to stay up there, you shouldn't have a problem.
    Bars - in a few more months I'll be able to help ya with this one.
    AJ

Don't skid
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky Wiz
    Yeaa BB!! I'm headed out there this coming weekend as well (with about 5-6 friends). This will be the first time none of us have to rent a bike as we are all on capable duallies! Maybe see ya there. I'll be on a black Heckler with a white helmet (pending new bearings from LBS).

Maybe see ya out there! SB represent!
    Stinky,
    Didn't I ride Jes with you and a friend awhile back? Your friend crashed and hurt his wrist. Anyway we should hook up for a ride again. I shuttled Tunnel on Sunday. Holy crap what and a$$ puckering trail. Oh and if this isn't the guy I rode with, what's up anyway.
    Hell yeah, SB represent.
    I'll look for you at BB.

mtbr member
    For bars and nightlife (this used to be words you didn't hear in Big Bear), you have several choices:

--La Montana mexican restaurant has a decent bar and you can yuk it up over there.

--Just go into the Village and walk around to find the noise at whatever bar is "on" that night. Go to Pine Knot, drive up the hill until you find a place to park and walk the rest..about 3 blocks up the hill, and three to the east, is the whole Village.

--Go to Stater Brothers, hit up the liquor section and hang at the condo.

Unshaven Yak
    Kona! That's right! You were there to see Greg make a mess out of the first tiny little bit of descent we had! That would have been funny if he I hadn't been so worried about him sliding down the hill ricocheting off those baby heads!

I think he deserved it as he's always shortcutting switchbacks & such...kinda pisses me off sometimes. Anyway, now that I've got bad karma coming at me for dissing my friend, that was a fun ride!

This weekend will be big fun man! Really hope to see you out there....we know what eachother look like so chances are good. Greg damaged his knee a few weeks after that so he hasn't even looked as his bike since then, but he's with us.

BTW, did you have to replace your saddle after that ride? Was that you with the 750lb spring in the back?!

Also, I recommend the Mongolian BBQ in Big Bear City....just make sure the windows are left open all night!

airin' it out in the 951
    Not be be mean or anything, but stay off the DH trails unless you and your gf have half decent bike skills (and half decent bikes), if you do venture on, be wary of assheads like me randomly blasting past.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillzeypher
    Not be be mean or anything, but stay off the DH trails unless you and your gf have half decent bike skills (and half decent bikes), if you do venture on, be wary of assheads like me randomly blasting past.
    I know this sounds mean, but downhillzeypher is right.

I was one of those people who lacked DH skills and tried to make a run down the DH trail and regretted it. Besides eating it a couple of times, you have be aware that at any point a DH rider is barrelling down the course and will plow into you if you are slow.

So it's safer for everyone in the end. I never touched the DH course again. Spent the rest of the day cruisiing down the XC trails.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

Don't skid
    Thanks for the advice guys. you mean the DH sections are hard? But my Huffy has full suspension. and if I do crash I can always sue and get the whole mountain shut down. lol.

I'll be fine in the on the mountain, and trust me my gf won't go near any hard $hit. I am assuming there are easy runs for her? At Northstar they rate them like ski runs, green, blue and black, double diamonds, etc....do they have that at BB?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    Thanks for the advice guys. you mean the DH sections are hard? But my Huffy has full suspension. and if I do crash I can always sue and get the whole mountain shut down. lol.

I'll be fine in the on the mountain, and trust me my gf won't go near any hard $hit. I am assuming there are easy runs for her? At Northstar they rate them like ski runs, green, blue and black, double diamonds, etc....do they have that at BB?
    as far as I know there is no real rating system but the easier cross country oriented trails are around the top of the mountain like 2N10(get a map up there). stay away from Falline and Westridge and such trails with the gf.
    AJ

Unshaven Yak
    Very bummed. Just found out my swingarm is damaged from having been run on the old bad bearings for too long. It has to be sent back to SantaCruz for assessment & possible replacement. Needless to say, this means I won't be on my usual rig, gonna have to rent.

I'm distraught, but I hope one of those shops has some decent rentals. Tack on $100 to the cost of this trip for me. Dang, I'm thinking I should have pulled the pedals from my bike before I left the shop. I've got the numbers for just about every rental place in BB, so I'm getting on the horn to find out who has what in what sizes & see if I can reserve one. I'll let you know if I find a good shop.

Don't skid
    Stinky,
    that sux about your swingarm. Hopefully the fix or replace it for free.
    I am not sure if I am going to make BB this weekend b/c my gf is going to a concert sat night in LA which means I could only ride Sunday. Its a lot of money for one day of riding. I think I'll wait until I can ride for a full weekend.

mtbr member
    but its so worth it :-D
    AJ

jrm
    mtbr member

From the Am Cup daze

Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    I am going to Big Bear for the first time this Sat/Sun. and have a few questions. Are there places to rent bikes, I am taking my GF and she doesn't have a bike. how much are the rentals? What are some good cheap(er) hotels to stay at? whats the best bar to goto Sat. night? Anything else you can think of?
    The cheapest place to stay is motel 6. In the future the best way to go is getting a condo with some folks. Its just so nice to no have to fight the crowds at resturants and bars. Also Chad's is the local hangout in town. Itsa a fav or the locals and the bikers from LA. Pretty interesting crowd...have fun

pewpewpew Moderator
    I have stayed at three pines lodge, they are very MTB friendly and are pretty inexpensive. ALso they have wireless internet.

La Montana is a pretty good bar, and the food is OK too.

Unshaven Yak
    Hey fellas, my mood just improved with the purchase of a new Coiler Deelux frame (black) to replace my Heckler as my general purpose machine. The shop is moving all the components over from my old frame & everything should be ready by this weekend!

Soo looking forward to riding the new machine! I'm broke, but at least I have a smile on my face & I'm no longer worried about how much fun I'm gonna have at BB!

Cheers!

Don't skid
    Dude, sweet. Now you need to change your name though. unless they call you stinky_whiz b/c you...um...stink.

This is probably a stupid question but did you get it at Velo Pro. Is it the same as the regular Coiler frame. How much does it wieght? And of course what was the cost if you don't mind my asking.