Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004

Preserve Calavera

I read this post this morning and I thought some of you may be interested so I am posting it here.

In 2013 Preserve Calavera will continue our efforts to preserve and enhance the natural resources of coastal north county. From retrofitting culverts for wildlife, acquiring open space, building trails and restoring our natural lands to shaping development so we can all still hear the sound of a rushing creek and smell the sage in the spring. While our work continues throughout north county, for the next few weeks our primary focus will be :

SOS for Quarry Creek

After years of effort we are now down to the final weeks when the fate of the Buena Vista Creek Valley will be decided. Will we be able to save the heart of this priceless valley? Will we save the views of the sacred El Salto waterfall and the wildlife movement corridor? Or will it become just one more housing development? We have proposed a compromise- one that saves the panhandle and the heart of the valley while still allowing development on the degraded eastern part of the site. The developer gets a fair profit, the city gets the affordable housing they want and future generations will still be able to experience this very special area as we do today.

The first formal hearing to consider the proposed 656 unit McMillin development called Quarry Creek is scheduled for Wed Feb 6. There is a lot we can and must do before then to make sure everyone who cares about preserving this priceless valley is heard.

What Can YOU Do to Save This Priceless Valley ?

1. View our new video and get inspired http://youtube/OzvLHIxl7Ks
    Thanks to North County Advocates for their help with funding this video and helping us tell the story about the vanishing open space in Carlsbad.

2. Sign the petition at http://www.gopetition/petitions/sos-for-open-space.html

3. Call and email Mayor Matt Hall and Carlsbad Council members at council@carlsbadca.gov or 760-434-2808 and tell them why they should save the panhandle of Quarry Creek and to reduce the number of units below 656. This keeps development on the already degraded part of the site and will preserve the historic sense of place and the regional wildlife movement corridor.

4. Send a Letter to the Editor alerting the public about the potential loss of this area and why it is important to preserve the panhandle. Limit letter to 200 words, include your name, address and phone number (for verification- will not be printed). Send to both letters@utsandiego and letters@coastnewsgroup. Note: Be sure to change the subject line and first sentence so it doesn't look like the same letter.

5. Take everyone you know to the cul-de-sac on Haymar to see the valley, and to the sign-post behind Kohl's to see the waterfall. Show them the treasure we have in our backyard. (See below for times you can do this as part of a group tour)

6. Spread the word however your can- go to preservecalavera.org is under construction for more information, schedule us to speak before any group you are involved with, tell your friends and neighbors.

7. Make a donation by January 31st and your contribution will be doubled. We have a commitment of up to $ 5,000 to match all donations received through January. These funds will allow us to hire the legal and technical experts that will inspire the developer to accept our proposed compromise.

We Can Do This- we can save the panhandle from development and keep the heritage of this valley intact for us and for future generations.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Beer Please!
    I did not know this area was considered to be part of Calavera Preserve.

Do people ride or hike down there?

I have been to the waterfall, and while it is cool, I think that the area around it has already been ruined. Is the city planning to remove it completely and put it underground or something? Where are the Units they are talking about supposed to go? That old quarry or whatever it used to be has been completely leveled off already destroying any natural land formations that may have existed in the past.

I am not saying I want more low income housing there, just noting that it is already unsightly graded land that you can see from the freeway as you drive by.

I tried riding out there with some friends a few years back and found that compared with the extensive and exciting trail system to the south of Lake Calavera, this area was lacking, and I have yet to go back.

EDIT:
    I found a PDF with a map here:
    http://biasandiego.org/wp-content/up...arry-Creek.pdf
    Here is a screen grab from the PDF:

From the looks of this they will not be building on the already excavated site, but rather further west down the creek towards the gold course.... Seems like a bad place to build anyway since that is a flood zone. I do remember the one time we rode down there the bottom area turned to black stinky mud pretty quick, so we turned around from there. I am going to keep looking for more information on this proposed build.

EDIT 2:
    I found this good information pdf:
    http://preservecalavera.spiraljungle...-statement.pdf

The more I think about this the less I want homes there. The traffic on Collage blvd is bad enough right now, adding more cars with over 500 homes is just going to make things worse. I hope this get repealed.
    Last edited by Klurejr; 01-11-2013 at 11:45 AM.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Original post is from Preserve Calavera, the environmental advocacy group. Preserve Calavera | Preserving Quality of Life for Future Generations Not the most pro-trails group out there.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sdmoondogg View Post
    Original post is from Preserve Calavera, the environmental advocacy group. Preserve Calavera | Preserving Quality of Life for Future Generations Not the most pro-trails group out there.
    Thats why I posted it. They certainly don't want bikers out there.
    Last edited by sandmangts; 01-11-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    Thats why I posted it.
    Thanks for the post. Just clarifying, as Klujer seemed to think it was coming from the managers of the Calavera Preserve.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Does anyone have a good link for the petition it didn't take me anywhere. Bummer they don't like bikes but I am certainly anti-development of open spaces, they should focus on redeveloping existing outdated/failed projects.