used to be uno-speedo....

Potentially Dangerous Virus Discovered in a - Local Wild Mouse Los Penasquitos Canyon

Read here.

County Vector Control officials confirmed today that a wild mouse trapped during routine monitoring in the Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve has tested positive for Hantavirus.

Officials are still conducting test to determine the extent of the virus.

The virus is carried by wild rodents, primarily deer mice and is carried in their droppings and in their urine.

The virus can be inhaled by humans when it is airborne and can begin with flu-like symptoms and in rare occasions, death.

There is no vaccine or specific treatment for Hantavirus, but here are some precautions that should be taken to avoid exposure:

Several precautions should be taken to avoid exposure:

Eliminate rodent infestations immediately.
    Avoid rodent infested areas and do not stir up dust or materials that may be contaminated with rodent droppings and urine.
    Clean up rodent droppings and urine using the wet cleaning method described below.

Do not sweep or vacuum. Instead, use wet cleaning methods:

Ventilate affected area by opening doors and windows for several hours.
    Use rubber gloves. Spray a 10 percent bleach solution (2 tablespoons bleach to 1 cup of water) onto dead rodents, rodent droppings, nests, contaminated traps, and surrounding areas and let the disinfectant stand for at least 15 minutes before cleaning. Clean with a sponge or a mop.
    Place disinfected rodents and debris into two plastic bags, seal them and discard in the trash.
    Wash gloves in a bleach solution, then soap and water, and dispose of them using the same double-bag method. Thoroughly wash your bare hands with soap and water.
    For more information, contact the County Department of Environmental Health at (858) 694-2888 or visit www.sdvector.com.

mtbr member
    Any idea where in the Canyon the rodent was trapped? Hanta can be some really nasty stuff, and I ride and run in PQ all the time. I'm wondering if it could get dangerous once things dry our and dust starts getting kicked up. I'm not a doc and don't play one of TV some I'd be curious if anyone knows more about the transmission of HV.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    All of the reports of human infection I have seen were due to contact with rodent droppings that had accumulated indoors from infestation. For example, having mice in the basement would lead to a concentration of droppings and a high risk of exposure in that area, especially since it would be a closed area with little ventilation.

I think the risk is low outdoors because the droppings are spread over a much larger area. That being the case I might exercise a little caution around wood piles or other areas where rodents could congregate.

used to be uno-speedo....
    I doubt there's much risk. Just don't go rolling around in mice poo.

rm -fr *
    I won't put mice in my mouth anymore. They make it hard to breathe when biking anyway.

endorphin addict
    Aug 2007
    There are lots of different strains of hantavirus and pretty much all rodents have it. Unless you're cleaning rat crap out of you're garage with a broom and dust pan, you probably don't need to worry much. You certainly wouldn't get it by running over a mouse in penasquitas.