mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Post Ride Clean Up

So I never really did this much before but am getting more serious about this bike thing. What kinda cleaning do you all do after rides here in so cal? Usually I just blow off the dust with the compressor. I got some bike degreaser and chain lube but do I need to do go that detailed every ride? Help would be appreciated Thanks

b a n n e d
    I give the whole bike a good wipe down with a dry cloth, which gets most of it. I'll also wipe the chain after each ride and then about once a week I'll need to re-lube.

I'm noticing however, that as of late the chain seems to be getting dry more frequently . . . I dunno if its the lube I'm using or if its just dustier than usual. I am using the A.T.B. stuff with the white cap for "dry dusty conditions"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I clean my bike after every ride, but I have OCD.

Your technique seems pretty good. I would just clean and lube the drive train periodically.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    After every ride I always put my bike on the stand and give it a good wipe down with a dirty shop towel. occasionaly ill take the air hose and spray the nooks and crannys. Avoid hitting any of your seals and pivoting areas with the air compressor. I lube and clean out the shifter housing every once an awhile.

mtbr member
    since I store (display?) my bike in my living room I give the wheels a good rinse, and also the drive train if its especially choked with socal moondust. a pesticide sprayer works well for this since its pretty low pressure. other than that a wipe down with a damp rag usually does the trick.

mtbr member
    my lbs totally chewed me out over the amount of water in my headset when i brought it in for a tune up. They said no water unless you ride in the rain, then take apart everything and regrease it. "dry cleaning only!" It may still get a careful bath now and then.... but not like before. i like SC1 silicone detailer to shine it up, and its a great light lube for the derailers and handlebar components, just dont get it on the brakes, grips or pedals... its super slippery

King of Middle Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I give the whole bike a good wipe down with a dry cloth, which gets most of it. I'll also wipe the chain after each ride and then about once a week I'll need to re-lube.

I'm noticing however, that as of late the chain seems to be getting dry more frequently . . . I dunno if its the lube I'm using or if its just dustier than usual. I am using the A.T.B. stuff with the white cap for "dry dusty conditions"
    We are all experiencing dryer than usual chains. It due to all of the very dry dust. Nothing unusal for this time of the year...
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

King of Middle Earth
    After every ride, I use a swiffer duster over the entire bike and wheels except for the drivetrain. I use a brush and rag on the drivetrain to remove the build up. I lube the chain an average of once a week. I gently rinse the bike off once or twice a year. I run the chain through the chain cleaner about 3 or 4 times a year.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    OK cool thanks for the info. I thought it would be kind of a pain in the butt to have to scrub and re-lube the drivetrain after every ride. I am replacing the cassette and chain this weekend too so I'll give the other components a good deep clean then. How often do you deep clean? After the season? Every 100 miles?

I'm your density

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Quote Originally Posted by iradi8 View Post
    OK cool thanks for the info. I thought it would be kind of a pain in the butt to have to scrub and re-lube the drivetrain after every ride. I am replacing the cassette and chain this weekend too so I'll give the other components a good deep clean then. How often do you deep clean? After the season? Every 100 miles?
    Two things to do:

1) Don't forget to REPLACE the derailler pullies when you do a drivetrain r&r.
    2) As mentioned before, keep that compressed air hose AWAY from any parts that have grease for lube (bottom bracket, pullies, pivots, headset....... you'll blow the grease OUT of where it supposed to be and will be replaced with dust/dirt/sand/grit. It's about the 2nd worst thing you can do to your bike, the 1st is to take the bike for a swim or on the beach and "ride thru the surf". Wonderful........

Keeping a clean drivetrain will help extend the life of the components as well as give you "fast chain" syndrome

Gotta pay to play
    I use a couple of different brushes I got from my LBS to wipe down the frame and tires. If I am riding my front suspension bike I will normally wipe down the forks with a damp rag to make sure no sand or dust gets into the seals. I clean my bike after every ride.

I have a separate brush that I use only on the chain. I always clean it after every ride but every 3 rides I'll do a full wash on it with Dawn soap, water to get the soap off, and then re- lube.

I have a few spray bottles I got from Home Depot for 99 cents. One I fill with a mixture of orange degreaser/water, one I fill with Dawn/water, and one is just pure water.

I am not a neat freak but for some reason I am completely OCD with cleaning my bikes. It also helps to ride with a bunch of friends and clean your bikes together after the ride. Then you can talk about the ride, drink some beers, and get the bikes all clean. Chores are easier with company.