mtbr member

Possible Move to Camarillo

Looking at relocating from the bay area to Camarillo in May. I have a family with two small boys. I have lived in the bay area for the past 10 years and my job might take me back to Ventura County. I grew up in Ventura.

I ride a single speed 29er and I enjoy to XC. How far out of Camarillo do I have to travel to hit a nice long enjoyable trail? It sounds like Wildwood is the closet, but is there anything else within a 30 minute drive. I would like to get a ride 2-3 x after work during the week.

Thank you,

Wade

mtbr member
    Sycamore Cyn should be about 20 minutes from Camarillo. It should be the same time if you want to start from the beach side or Newberry Park.

b a n n e d
    As well as the Los Robles network.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Sycamore Cyn. Off Wendy is no more then 10 minutes away. In 30 minutes you can get out to Rockey Peak in Simi, where MBA does a lot of testing. That's a pretty steep area for a SS. In less then 30 you can also get to Chesebro in Agoura. There's lots of good riding there.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    About 10 minutes to Sycamore, 15 to Robles, 20 to Cheeseboro, and 5 to the factory outlets.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    This is from someone that lives in Camarillo, or as I call it the "rillo. You might want to consider Thousand Oaks, plenty of riding in and around that area. Better schools, more "stuff" to do, and a more bike friendly community. Whereas Camarillo outlawed bikes in it's old town area (well, you can ride in an alley behind the shops), Thousand Oaks has plans for a public pump track. The Camarillo local government tends to cater to the abundant senior citizen population. If you live in Camarillo you will likely be driving to or through Thousand Oaks to go riding anyways.

mtbr member
    Good advise! Even if he is going to work in Rillo, i'd still live T.O.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I agree with the above advice for living in T.O or Newbury Park. I just bought a house in Newbury Park last year, I looked in Camarillo, did not like the area personally. I can ride my bike to a bunch of trails from my house so it's pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    I will be working in Oxnard in the towers. I think we have settled on Camarillo. I lived in Ventura for over 24 years. I will like to try a different place most likely Camarillo but who knows. We are coming down this weekend to check it out again. I live in Redwood City and we have a bunch of MTB and road riding close by. I just finished riding after work today and that is very important to me. I am 15 mins away from a nice riding place for after work SS (ing). I sold my s-works 29er hardtail and went to a SS and i love the punishment. I will bring my bike down this weekend.

official eMpTyBRain
    Nobody mentioned Backbone trail at Kanan road tunnel. You can head East of West on the trail from there and either way would be good. I've SS'ers riding to the East from Kanan road tunnel.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Good info.. Plus the grade south out of camarillo is BS!

Probably in pain.
    Mar 2013
    You can head up the 1 to Santa Barbara or into Ojai for some great trails too. I lived in Ventura, but we will be living in Camarillo when we return from this tour in Japan.

There is a book called something like "Where to ride in LA" which has all the trails in the area.
    I can do this.....Wait.....Dammit..... "Dude, Why is your arm pointed sideways?"

Gotta pay to play
    Currently live in Moorpark (which is 10 minutes from Camarillo via Lewis Rd. and the 118). Moorpark has absolutely no trails to ride but is popular for roadies.

I normally drive to Newbury Park (which is where I grew up). There are trails on pretty much every hill in the town and you've got Sycamore Cyn.

I'll also drive to Thousand Oaks for Wildwood (I love the Lynnmere trail) and I'll do the Los Robles trail/ Las Padres loop

I'll agree with what others have already said: I'd prefer to live in Newbury Park right now if I could since you can get from your garage to the trails in a few minutes of riding. I don't know if there is any riding in Camarillo but I do run into lots of folks riding in NP from Camarillo.

I don't know how sweet the trails are where you live- but the stuff in the Conejo Valley is probably not going to be the type of "Nice enjoyable" trails you are looking for. Sure, there are a few sweet single track areas in the Sycamore Cyn and Los Robles trail areas but I ride Single Speed like you and most of the trails involve hard climbing and then quick descents with off camber turns on cliff sides. Only a few trails have flowy burmy yummyness. Maybe that is how it is in Norcal as well...

If you get down here drop me a line. It would be nice to ride with someone else on a SS. I ride Tue and Thur around 4-4:30 for about 45-60 minutes and then early Sat and Sun mornings. I normally find one of the weekend days to do a few hour long ride dependent on who I can get to come with me.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    best local ss trails have gotta be space mtn and encinal backbone. best starter would be going up sycamore fireroad and down two foxes/ sin nombre but the fun in that loop is short lived.

mtbr member
    I would think that Sycamore Cyn. down to the beach and back would be a good SS ride. Might be a little boring though. I don't do any SS stuff, so I could be wrong.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    sounds good. I enjoy climbing too. In the bay area, you can climb about 1,000 feet per hour and that is about normal. I have looked around on youtube at the trails all of you have suggestion look to be great and I could swing those on a single speed (i think). If i know one thing about the single speed, it is a humbling experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HereWeGo View Post
    This is from someone that lives in Camarillo, or as I call it the "rillo. You might want to consider Thousand Oaks, plenty of riding in and around that area. Better schools, more "stuff" to do, and a more bike friendly community. Whereas Camarillo outlawed bikes in it's old town area (well, you can ride in an alley behind the shops), Thousand Oaks has plans for a public pump track. The Camarillo local government tends to cater to the abundant senior citizen population. If you live in Camarillo you will likely be driving to or through Thousand Oaks to go riding anyways.
    ^^^This, or Newbury Park.

b a n n e d
    Gosh, y'all are making T.O. sound like a great place to live! I just spend the past half hour on Zillow. In comparison to WLA, its pretty damn affordable out there! (sad when half a million is "affordable")

official eMpTyBRain
    ^ Yes, it's pretty, it's "safe", it's close to the beach and right on top of some fun riding BUT it is congested out there. Traffic is a bit of a hassle.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Gotta pay to play
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Gosh, y'all are making T.O. sound like a great place to live! I just spend the past half hour on Zillow. In comparison to WLA, its pretty damn affordable out there! (sad when half a million is "affordable")
    I've traveled all over the country for work. The Conejo Valley is a great place to live if you have a family, money, and a job that doesn't require a commute into LA county. The only other places I could ever think of moving would be Scottsdale AZ, Bellevue WA, or maybe one of the Colorado bike towns- but I hate snow and the wife hates rain so we would probably only ever really consider Scottsdale or somewhere around there.

If you are a single guy you are probably better off in WLA. I've got a few friends that just moved out of NP to Culver City and they love it.

mtbr member
    Gosh, y'all are making T.O. sound like a great place to live!
    psh only miscreants and malingerers come out of TO

Also lots of epo.
    definite malingerer

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    I've traveled all over the country for work. The Conejo Valley is a great place to live if you have a family, money, and a job that doesn't require a commute into LA county. The only other places I could ever think of moving would be Scottsdale AZ, Bellevue WA, or maybe one of the Colorado bike towns- but I hate snow and the wife hates rain so we would probably only ever really consider Scottsdale or somewhere around there.

If you are a single guy you are probably better off in WLA. I've got a few friends that just moved out of NP to Culver City and they love it.
    I currently live in Santa Monica and really like it here. My wife works in downtown LA though, so T.O. probably wouldn't work for us.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    psh only miscreants and malingerers come out of TO

Also lots of epo.

Gotta pay to play
    I currently live in Santa Monica and really like it here. My wife works in downtown LA though, so T.O. probably wouldn't work for us.
    Yeah. The commute into LA from the Conejo Valley is rough. Into the sun both ways, have to go through the SFV, grade into the various valleys. Every time I have to commute there I die a little inside. Couldn't imagine doing it every week day.