mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Poss Relo to Orange County - Looking for info

Hey Guys, I'm trying to flee the struggling auto industry here in Michigan and have a line on a job in Orange County, near Cypress to be exact. Aside from trying to figure out if I can afford to raise my family there I'd like to get some information on the riding out there.

Here, I've got three different non motorized state parks with 20 mile all single track trails within a 30 minute drive. The road biking is pretty good too with relatively safe country roads after you get out about 20 miles.

What's it like out there? Will I be able to get out to some good mountain biking after work? What are the trails like? Will I be able to road bike out to some good terrain from the burbs without getting killed? Pretty basic q's but, I've only visited out there, never got a chance to check out local biking and have lived in MI all my life...........

Thanks for any info! This whole thing is a huge decision for my family and good biking is a must have......

mtbr member
    Cypress is about 20-30 minutes from any mountain bike trails. It's a pretty flat and developed area, so there's not any dirt trails in the immediate vicinity.

Post-work traffic in the area can be pretty tough. Here's a site with a lot of information on OC trails - http://www.geoladders.com

Your Imaginary Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by IFrider1
    Hey Guys, I'm trying to flee the struggling auto industry here in Michigan and have a line on a job in Orange County, near Cypress to be exact. Aside from trying to figure out if I can afford to raise my family there I'd like to get some information on the riding out there.

Here, I've got three different non motorized state parks with 20 mile all single track trails within a 30 minute drive. The road biking is pretty good too with relatively safe country roads after you get out about 20 miles.

What's it like out there? Will I be able to get out to some good mountain biking after work? What are the trails like? Will I be able to road bike out to some good terrain from the burbs without getting killed? Pretty basic q's but, I've only visited out there, never got a chance to check out local biking and have lived in MI all my life...........

Thanks for any info! This whole thing is a huge decision for my family and good biking is a must have......
    Without question, Orange County is one of the best mountain biking areas in the US. Given the number and variety of trails, along with the weather and incredible access, it's extremely hard to beat. I'd also like to plug www.geoladders.com as well; it will give you more information about area trails than anything else out there. Good luck.
    There's a fine line between courage and foolishness. Too bad it's not a fence.

mtbr member
    Should you decide to move to OC your biggest question if you're going to be working in Cypress is whether you want to live close to riding (South Orange County is a better choice) or close to work. Traffic can be a b1tch during commute times.

In the event you were not aware, your housing costs are likely to be much higher here.

My wife is a realtor in So OC - If you need one pm me.

C

_
    Mar 2004
    Traffic is a b!tch any time of day out here now.....all these out of staters at my work complain about how bad traffic is out here.....have they forgotten that they are one more out of stater who is now contributing to the problem?

Cypress is pretty flat and the closest "trail" would be the Fullerton Loop, which was a good after work quickie for me when I worked in Garden Grove. Like the others have said OC has a plethora of trails for just about every ability level. Check out www.socaltrailriders.org and click on "trail talk" for tons of great ride reports with quite a few pictures and often a video or two thrown in. That will give you a great idea of what kind of riding you'll get to experience should you move out here.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the links and the replies. I'm not sure it's going to work out but, we'll see. Ya, I definetly am worried about the housing and traffic......

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    As a 50 year old native of SoCal who still has family down there, my advice would be to find a safe, affordable place near where you would be working. Minimize the amount of time you are required to be in your car every day, because that is just unpaid time added onto your working day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Somebody all ready mentioned the Fullerton Loop close to Cypress which is a decent Mountain biking trail. If you are also looking for some road biking, there is a bike trail in a river bed pretty close to cypress that will take you down to beach which is very popular probably 15 mile trip one way. If you need any other info, let me know. I live in Buena Park, right next to cypress.

nerfherder
    The drive from south county to Cypress is hellacious. The biking is better down south though. Throw out some cities that you're considering (when you get to that point) and we'll pipe in to tell you how long your rush hour commute's would to be.

Bigger than Big
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewellyboy
    Somebody all ready mentioned the Fullerton Loop close to Cypress which is a decent Mountain biking trail. If you are also looking for some road biking, there is a bike trail in a river bed pretty close to cypress that will take you down to beach which is very popular probably 15 mile trip one way. If you need any other info, let me know. I live in Buena Park, right next to cypress.
    Depends on where in Cypress. I live next to Cypress. It's about 15 miles from my house to the SB pier and back.
    For living in the North OC area - I can get to Laguna Beach trails in 20-25 minutes (with no traffic).
    "Get back to the hills, get back to baby where you belong." - P. Westerberg

_
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Schecky
    I can get to Laguna Beach trails in 20-25 minutes (with no traffic).
    which means chris is driving the freeway between the hours of 9pm-5am

Bigger than Big
    Quote Originally Posted by bdee
    which means chris is driving the freeway between the hours of 9pm-5am

I played hooky on Friday and had the LB trails all to myself. I was telling myself how great it had been until I came over the hill, saw the freeway and realized that I was going to be driving home on the 405 in rush hour traffic.
    "Get back to the hills, get back to baby where you belong." - P. Westerberg

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Schecky

I played hooky on Friday and had the LB trails all to myself. I was telling myself how great it had been until I came over the hill, saw the freeway and realized that I was going to be driving home on the 405 in rush hour traffic.
    Maybe you shoulda just stayed a little longer and had dinner somewhere. Better to be sitting somewhere having some tacos and beer than stuck on 405