29er Hater

Portions of Corral Canyon OHV Area Reopens This Saturday

For Immediate Release from Cleveland National Forest

Alpine, CA - February 28, 2007...The Descanso Ranger District will reopen a portion of the Corral Canyon Off Highway Vehicle Area that was closed in July 2006 after the devastating Horse Fire burned through the recreation area. Effective December 15, 2007, the northern 1/3 of the OHV area will reopen for public use. Included in the area that will reopen is the Four Corners staging area, all of the Kernan Cycle Trail which connects Corral Canyon OHV area to Pine Valley, Spur Meadow Trail, Los Pinos Road, and Espinosa Trail, a portion of both Corral Canyon Road and Skye Valley Road.

For more information and a map visit the CNF website

mark@sdmba.com
    Shuttle Noble? Hell No!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    That's good news. Thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Morena

A group of us went to Morena today since it is lower elevation than the Lagunas and Cuyamaca. Thank you for posting that it was opened this weekend !

It was a blast. Espinosa has narrowed down to a nice singletrack and is now clean of all debris and firm until you get to the last very steep part. Looks like most of us can't ride it since it isn't packed down much

The purists may be unhappy because all the loose rocks and tricky boulders are gone, but I will just suffer with the way it is for now....

Spur Meadow trail was GREAT and so was Keenan. The best I've ever seen it with great traction so you could just ROAR down the whoops at the end.

We didn't explore the rest of what is open, but I'd guess it's good.

We encountered only one group of motorcycles...very nice guys...and NO ONE at 4 Corners...so the word isn't out too far yet.

Thank you again for the head's up.

CEB
    No horse'n round

Which Morena were you riding?!?!?

Julie.....No disrespect intended, but where did you ride? It's almost like you were riding somewhere different than we were. 7 of us took off from the bottom of the Kernan, up Espinosa, down Spur, Over to Wrangler and down to Bronco, west to the hike a bike, up and over and back eastbound to Four corners to end with Kernan. That route, usually takes 3.5-4 hours. Today we added an HOUR for mud removal stops.

The entire run between the top of Espinosa and the Spur downhill was a complete muddy quagmire. I have a hard time believing the deep mud fest we had today was from that meager rain that came down last night (12/20/07). We could see the tracks of ORV"s (prob moto's) on our trail. I even used the rut they left behind as my single track

Morena is ALWAYS a blast, but wow......... took me over an hour to clean the bike afterwards, but now it looks GOOD

Chip
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CEB; 12-22-2007 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Add pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Sorry !

I wonder if we what we were riding on was frozen mud at the top of Espinosa, although there were no ruts. Of course the area had only been open one day at that point.

It had been 35 degrees at the trailhead at 8 AM (next to Keenan) and there was still snow on the banks of the fireroad between Espinosa and Spur Meadow trail

Sorry you had to do the muck removal job after the ride. I've been there once when it was like that and it wasn't pretty.

CEB
    No horse'n round

...Oh...how I love it dry......

Quote Originally Posted by Julie
    I wonder if we what we were riding on was frozen mud at the top of Espinosa, although there were no ruts. Of course the area had only been open one day at that point.

It had been 35 degrees at the trailhead at 8 AM (next to Keenan) and there was still snow on the banks of the fireroad between Espinosa and Spur Meadow trail

Sorry you had to do the muck removal job after the ride. I've been there once when it was like that and it wasn't pretty.
    I'm going back when it drys, I just really think that is the best XC riding in S.D. county.
    JMO

Chip