mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Porterville, of all places...The Skinny

I wish to thank those that posted the original message that this one is following up on--the question of what to ride if one must be in Porterville. If it wasn't for these forums I might not have known about Shidan and his outfit Sequoia Mountain Adventures, in Camp Nelson, CA. He runs a shuttle business, but has also outfitted a bike shop with just about anything you might forget. He is also able to fix just about any mechanical you might have. That is, he's there and open for business.

For those that have ridden the area, you know it is spectacular. I found myself on a decent that was earned (good climb) and hair-raising. He has some nice jumps, skinny's and such scattered along the trail to make things interesting.

This place is easy to get to, and most worthy of a few days commitment as there is a host of trails to ride. I realize that this might sound like an endorsement. I hope the tone is more of one reflecting my gratitude to this forum, and folks like the owner/operator of a responsible and fine outfit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thank you so much for starting this thread and then following up on your experience. I've got the summer in front of me and an urge to hit the southern Sierra.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the follow-up! So happy to hear that you had a fun experience riding in the Camp Nelson/Quaking Aspen area. It is indeed a special place.