mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Porterville, of all places...

I'll be in Porterville, fifty miles north of Bakersfield, this weekend. I haven't found much online for trails around there, but there's got to be someone riding around there. Any good trail suggestions will be appreciated. I wouldn't want to drive anymore than a half-hour outside the town itself as time will be relatively limited. But, I gotta ride. I'll take suggestions, but will also touch base with an LBS. Thanks for any help you all can provide

mtbr member
    The Camp Nelson trail is awesome.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    All the really good stuff (Camp Nelson, Summit Trail, Bear Creek, Coy Flat, Freeman Creek) is up by Quaking Aspen Campground, which is about 40 miles northeast of Porterville off the 190. It's a solid one hour drive. Hopefully you'll get some good advice from the locals about riding closer to town. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Too bad you're limited on time, the Plunge is up by Lake Isabella which isn't too far and very worth the trip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ah, well, looks like I'll just get less shut-eye and put in more travel time. Riding is worth it. Looks like the best bet is Quaking Aspen Campground. The Plunge sounds a bit out of the way and complicated. Is it the Cannell Plunge? I'm looking for XC. So, if anyone has any specific info on Quaking Aspen Campground trails, I'm all ears. I guess I will try to get into to P-Ville before a bike shop closes on Friday for a map. Anyone from there can suggest a good MTB shop? Thanks for all your help so far.

mtbr member
    Good call. I didn't want to give you the hard sell but that stuff is the bomb.

I don't have any info on shops but you can pick up a forest map at the ranger station outside of Springville. Camp nelson trail leaves from a campground right outside of Camp Nelson and goes up to Quaking Aspen. You can hook up with Summit or Freeman from there for a longer ride. The lower bear creek trail head is also near Camp Nelson but it is harder to find.

The riding is sorta XC and sorta AM with some amazing scenery and giant sequoia groves. There are some Youtube videos.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the info and the links, Lead-Sled. I've been wondering about some summer camping areas in CA that I haven't yet seen. Your suggestions look like winners!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    I doubt you'll find a LBS, but these guys are the ones to talk to and are based out of Camp Nelson, they can drive you to the top and help with directions and/or suggestions. Have fun, Sequoia is well worth it.

Sequoia Mountain Adventures, Camp Nelson, CA