Death By Snoo Snoo

Porteguese Bend/ PV trails - Building jumps

Anyone know if you could build jumps on the park without getting them wiped out? I am a big vadge when it comes to jumping and i want to start practicing somewhere local and I am down to start building them if its not illegal or anything.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't build the jumps there. The local mtn biking activist group has been patiently working with the land management that runs Portuguese Bend to continue to allow mtn bike access to the area. The residents, not all but many, down there are against bikers and want to ban riders from the trail.

The residences have been speaking up against the DH and freeriders down there.
    Building jumps may de-rail the hard work of the bikers to negotiate trail usage. So it may well be that other bikers will be the ones leveling your jumps.

I would like local jumps too, but out of respect for the efforts down there, I would build elsewhere. I hit up Kenter for jumps.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

Death By Snoo Snoo
    That is great info... i would definately not want to de-rail their efforts. That being said.... where is kenter?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtpaws
    I wouldn't build the jumps there. The local mtn biking activist group has been patiently working with the land management that runs Portuguese Bend to continue to allow mtn bike access to the area. The residents, not all but many, down there are against bikers and want to ban riders from the trail.

The residences have been speaking up against the DH and freeriders down there.
    Building jumps may de-rail the hard work of the bikers to negotiate trail usage. So it may well be that other bikers will be the ones leveling your jumps.

I would like local jumps too, but out of respect for the efforts down there, I would build elsewhere. I hit up Kenter for jumps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by munkyspank
    That is great info... i would definately not want to de-rail their efforts. That being said.... where is kenter?
    The South Bay Mountain Biking Club will appreciate your respect!
    Here is thread from their forum talking about the jumps and how they are hurting their efforts:
    http://sbmbc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12

Kenter is up in the hills above Brentwood near the Getty Center. About 35 minutes north of Palos Verdes (on good 405 fwy day).

It's a popular spot and no secret at all.

- 405 North
    - Exit Sunset Blvd LEFT (going west)
    - Right on Kenter
    - Go all the way up the winding hill street til you get the very end
    - Park and be respectful of the rich people up there or else they too will lobby us out there

Ride up fire road and where the fireroads makes a T stop with the next fireroad, look to your left and you see the bottom of the jump/whoop run.

If you see a bald dude with a shovel working on the jumps up there, that's Kurt. Stop and give him props for all his work. He and this teen kid have spent the past year fixing up that place and making it pretty nice with small to mid size doubles and two rhythm sections. There is on gap jump. Kurt even brought some school benches up there and made a hangout spot. There is one large table top there now.

Most of the best jumps are in the middle section of the trail:

The conditions are hardpacked and dry up there with some spots with loose shale. Bring your pads because I've seen a fair share of newbies slide out on the loose shale and get jacked up on the sharp thin slices of rocks up there.

It's a popular spot on the weekends. Don't be surprised if you see some peopel taking pictures up there. John Cowan's wife now works in nearby Santa Monica, so don't be surprise if you see Cowan himself up there sometimes.

Here are some pics taken recently by Hollywood while on his pink single speed:

Here is the mtbr review page for Kenter
    Last edited by dirtpaws; 08-20-2004 at 12:08 AM.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System