Thread: Poor Malibu!

Mt Wilson Motoboy

Poor Malibu!

Wife & I were at Sycamore near Pt Magu on Saturday marveling at how beautiful the area is... today another fire starts in Malibu canyon. Nature just does it's thing no matter how much $ you have! Hope all the people and animals get out safely.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]"My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Equal opportunity meanie
    That fire, the Porter Ranch fire, and the Castaic fire that all flared up last night/this morning were all arson. We got out of there just in time this morning doing the usual ride. They're pretty much blocking off everything between Topanga and Kanan.

It didn't look good. The fire already burned through parts of the middle of Pimua where it switches back a couple times and was going down towards the ocean FAST from that crest. Glad we went early.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    That fire, the Porter Ranch fire, and the Castaic fire that all flared up last night/this morning were all arson. We got out of there just in time this morning doing the usual ride. They're pretty much blocking off everything between Topanga and Kanan.

It didn't look good. The fire already burned through parts of the middle of Pimua where it switches back a couple times and was going down towards the ocean FAST from that crest. Glad we went early.

Oh sh!t, it burned part of pimua, that sucks, I love that trail, how much did it burn.

Equal opportunity meanie
    It didn't burn the trail (as far as I know), just burned across the road higher up I think. Apparently it has already crossed PCH and is threatening Pepperdine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    It didn't burn the trail (as far as I know), just burned across the road higher up I think. Apparently it has already crossed PCH and is threatening Pepperdine.

Ok, good I dont want the trail to burn, now theres a chance it might come back up the mountain and threaten the area again.

Equal opportunity meanie
    I believe it. The winds were INSANE up there this morning. The combination of that and the fact that area hasn't burned once for 15 years makes for a really shitty outlook.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    And the worse news is that if it burns the hillside is so steep the trail will erode away REALLY fast once it starts raining

Go Lakers!
    I am in Simi with lots of friends in Malibu. So far 5 structures are gone. No injuries or deaths. My friends are all ok and were able to save their structure this morning. I came home from a weekend in Santa Ynez, hoping to ride this afternoon and now we are covered with a deep dark cloud of smoke in Simi, so definately not a good idea to ride. I hope everyone is safe.
    [SIZE="3"]Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift that's why they call it the present [/SIZE]

Equal opportunity meanie
    At this point 8 fires between SB and SD, one death in SD, and I have it on good word that all of them south of SB are most likely all arson (the 3 LA ones are for sure).

Fantastic. I get out of being stuck with the goddamn Zaca fire in SB all summer and move down to the valley between two more.

Fat guy on a bike
    The Agua Dulce fire was reported caused by downed power lines, caused by the wind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordy
    The Agua Dulce fire was reported caused by downed power lines, caused by the wind.

I think that was the malibu fire.

Glad to Be Alive
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambolina
    I am in Simi with lots of friends in Malibu. So far 5 structures are gone. No injuries or deaths. My friends are all ok and were able to save their structure this morning. I came home from a weekend in Santa Ynez, hoping to ride this afternoon and now we are covered with a deep dark cloud of smoke in Simi, so definately not a good idea to ride. I hope everyone is safe.

i too am in simi and it is pretty insane how much smoke was in simi yesterday. my side of simi over by the wood ranch area was just nasty. me and my buddys went to the east side fo the valley just to get into some decent air to breathe. i have friends in castaic and canyon country areas. as well as the malibu area and so far none of them have been threatened but i too hope everyone makes it out of this ok. houses can be rebuilt but life can not.

just along for the ride
    Damn I'm in Morro Bay north of SLO and it's 2 mile visibility here due to smoke. Canceled my ride, pass the eye drops.

check this out, smoke fly 100's of miles offshore..

http://sat.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/sa...ype=vis&size=4

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    Damn I'm in Morro Bay north of SLO and it's 2 mile visibility here due to smoke. Canceled my ride, pass the eye drops.

check this out, smoke fly 100's of miles offshore..

http://sat.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/sa...ype=vis&size=4
    Which fire are you getting that thick of smoke from? The furthest north I had heard of anything was in the Santa Ynez Valley (Sedewick Fire).

just along for the ride
    Yup its the Santa Ynez smoke, no wind here just smoke, but that large plume of smoke offshore is going to go somewhere...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    A quarter of a million people evacuated in San Diego County.......worse than 2003.

Bad, bad, bad.

Sober for now...
    F malibu. SD is going up in smoke...again

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    looks like right now so cal = **** city. my local stomping ground (santiago oaks) burned last year, and now it looks like a bunch of my other local trails are going to be eerily gravelike to ride, once they reopen. I was enjoying the weather change until all of this started. My parents live in Thousand Oaks and that was scary in the 2004 fires, I can only hope that nothing close to them burns. thoughts go out to all who are threatened and all who are out fighting the fires.