Life Is Short

Please Register your DNA

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    My best friend has stage 4b Large Cell Lymphoma. The only treatment is a stem cell and bone marrow transplant. There's a 10% chance that she'll live through the transplant because there's not a DNA match in the national bone marrow data base.

She's my hero. She's smiling, despite her slim odds. She's a tough mother fücker. . Kris Miner

One of mtbr's regulars wife has this horrible disease. I registered my DNA a month
    ago to the natl registry. Its free and they send you a packet. Most of you are qualified, even me, with type II diabetes (type one--no) because I doubt any of you have hepatitis, HIV or
    any other illness or else you wouldn't be riding as hard. From Bakersfield to the Mexican border, I know So Cal is always there to help because we are a unique part of the country and totally bad ass. Thanks!

Be The Match: Hope for patients with leukemia, lymphoma, blood cancer and sickle cell disease
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please Register your DNA-img_0315.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    This is really sad. I'm already registered. A two year-old son of a good friend of mine (who's a biker) has AML leukemia and they haven't been able to find a bone marrow match yet, which he needs to survive. They've been getting the word out on local news shows, papers, youtube and even funnyordie to get people to register in the national registry, so hopefully this will help your friend's wife as well. I'm actually working through getswabbed.org to sponsor a drive at my work too. Registering is very easy, they send you a qtip that you swab your cheek with and send it back to them.

Here's a video of the little boy I'm talking about: Help Hendrix Fight Leukemia - YouTube.

Though the process of donating bone marrow, if you're ever selected, is not as easy as giving blood, it's still an easy way to make a big difference.

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by LowLow View Post

Though the process of donating bone marrow, if you're ever selected, is not as easy as giving blood, it's still an easy way to make a big difference.
    It probably doesn't hurt as much as the time I got a concussion from falling off
    my Intense Spider a few years ago. I knocked myself out and couldnt remember where I was. Anyways thanks for sharing and I hope many riders send for the packet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Also, for those that do register, Jeremy McGrath's wife is also battling leukemia and looking for a marrow donor. If you can't help the family of a local board member, could still help another local hero who does happen to mountain as well!

I have also heard the process for actually donating if you are a match has become lot less painful than what it used to be, pretty much as simple as giving blood.
    Juice

Probably drunk right now

It's all fairly simple...

Quote Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
    Also, for those that do register, Jeremy McGrath's wife is also battling leukemia and looking for a marrow donor. If you can't help the family of a local board member, could still help another local hero who does happen to mountain as well!

I have also heard the process for actually donating if you are a match has become lot less painful than what it used to be, pretty much as simple as giving blood.
    Registration takes a total of 6 minutes and is free:

1. 3 minutes to sign up online to receive your kit.
    2. You're receive your kit in a couple of days, you swab your cheek with 4 Q-tips and send the Q-tips back to the registry.
    3. That's it. The registry will keep you updated on the process via email.

Donating takes about 6 days. The registry covers all expenses, including travel to where the donation takes place. In most cases:

1. For 5 days leading up to the donation, you'll receive 1 shot a day that will trigger your body to produce more bone marrow than it needs. That extra marrow goes out in to your blood stream.

2. On donation day, you'll be hooked up to a transfusion machine that will circulate your blood through a centrifuge. The centrifuge will pull the marrow out of your blood stream and then circulate your blood back in to your system. It's similar to dialysis.

3. There are cases where they'll need to extract marrow directly from your bones. This is a surgical procedure and they'll administer general anesthesia as part of the process. Your hip will be sore for a couple of days where they extract the marrow.

I really appreciate your help and consideration to register to be a match.

Ken
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer