mtbr member

Please recommend trail near downtown LA

In a couple of weeks I'll be staying for four days in downtown LA, near the Olympic swimming center. I'll have a car and I'm bringing a mountain bike. Can anyone recommend somewhere to ride that won't be too hard to get to and will give me the feel for what Southern California riding is like?

Thank you in advance

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Plan to drive a little while. It's just the way it is here in the area. Nearby is a relative term here and best measured in travel time not miles.

Put your dates out there and be more specific about what type and duration of ride you'd like and you'll likely hook up some action.

The east end of the Santa Monicas is likely the closest, but you have a lot of worthwile options within an hour's drive or less.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Dont listen to this guy. Riding is not far from DT LA. 2 north to the 210 east exit arroyo/ windsor go north for half a mile and park on the left. You will see cars with bike racks. Follow the paved road that is past the gate where the road veers right. Follow the signs to brown mountain all fire road. Decend down the fire road for about a half mile and you will come to a trail head on the right. This is el prieto all single track that will lead you back to the brown mountain fireroad. When your coming down PM me and I show you some other rides if you like.
    Mike.

mtbr member
    I'll be looking to ride on tue, wed, thurs, Nov 4,5,6 two to three hours. Around here, in New York, I go about 10 mph in the mountains and single track, about the same when I was in Phoenix in the spring. 57 years old and still kicking ass!. So where is the best place to ride If I'm by myself?

mtbr member
    Big Mike, do you know the exit number on the 210 for Aroyo/ Windsor? I'm trying to find it on Mapquest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

off ramp # ?

dont know the off ramp # ,but it has a jack inthe box across the street a fire station go up the hill towards the hills parking lot three blocks up on the left its free over looking jpl.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike00
    Dont listen to this guy. Riding is not far from DT LA. 2 north to the 210 east exit arroyo/ windsor go north for half a mile and park on the left. You will see cars with bike racks. Follow the paved road that is past the gate where the road veers right. Follow the signs to brown mountain all fire road. Decend down the fire road for about a half mile and you will come to a trail head on the right. This is el prieto all single track that will lead you back to the brown mountain fireroad. When your coming down PM me and I show you some other rides if you like.
    Mike.
    What exactly did I say that was untrue?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney
    Big Mike, do you know the exit number on the 210 for Aroyo/ Windsor? I'm trying to find it on Mapquest.
    It's just north of the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. We don't generally use exit # 's here. If you get to the 210/134 interchange, you've gone too far.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Pasadena/Brown/El Prieto is a good trail, but not representative of Socal riding IMO. Also, the beginning is a good 45 minutes of non-stop climbing, and at a good grade at that. Also, if you are coming down El Prieto, it is a very technical descent.

If you are looking for something not so intense, Santa Monica is probably a better bet.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Isn't Turnbull Canyon just south east of the 605 and 60 interchange? Milage from downtown would be about 15 - 20 miles. Traffic could be another problem. Fair amount of climbing and good downhills too.

This is not my link but a good example of the possiblities

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2474085

Best of luck.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I'll be looking to ride on tue, wed, thurs, Nov 4,5,6 two to three hours. Around here, in New York, I go about 10 mph in the mountains and single track, about the same when I was in Phoenix in the spring. 57 years old and still kicking ass!. So where is the best place to ride If I'm by myself?
    November 4, 5 & 6 are on a Sunday, Monday and Tuesday?

KOKOPELLI RACING
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    Pasadena/Brown/El Prieto is a good trail, but not representative of Socal riding IMO. Also, the beginning is a good 45 minutes of non-stop climbing, and at a good grade at that. Also, if you are coming down El Prieto, it is a very technical descent.

If you are looking for something not so intense, Santa Monica is probably a better bet.
    stay away from el prieto. it's crap. don't ride there.

in fact, everyone should stay away. i'll ride it by myself.

nah, seriously, el prieto is some EXCELLENT single track. do the punishing climb up to the saddle then ride down el prieto - it's fun and is a pretty good challenge.
    kokopelli racing

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike00
    Mike.
    There are a lot of other trails in that general area as well if you're interested (e.g., Redbox to Switzers or Redbox to JPL, Ken Burton, Sunset Ridge, the Merrills, Millard, etc.), especially since the singletrack portion of El Prieto is only 2 miles or so. Some of the these trails are further into the mountains than El Prieto however.

The Redbox to Switzers loop is not too strenuous or technical and a lot of fun. Feel free to get in contact with me if you're interested.

Flaccid Member
    Look at the ride calendar for a couple of months here:

http://otbmbc.com/calendar/calendar.cgi

It will give you some ideas on where you can ride and degree of difficulty. Most of these are relatively close to downtown L.A., but drive times can suck if you aren't used to the congestion and traffic.

If you are hard core, good at technical, the stuff most are recommending will be a good ride for you. Most in our club ride some sort of all Mountain bike, not XC types. The rocks, drops, steps, etc, favor 5 to 6" of travel.

I'm kind of new to this, so I'm still getting off the bike and pushing some sections.

Check out Deukmejian Park /Top of the World, No Name Trail. 2100 ft vertical in about 3.5 miles, then some epic single track. Find it and down load it on a Garmin Edge as a track.

You should ride with a partner, if you go down and break something, being solo would not be kosher, plus no way to get an airlift out of the mountains. These hills are full of hungry mountain lions this time of year.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The guy is from NY, I dont think our traffic will kill him

mtbr member
    Great post, BigMike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Unless my calendar is wrong, Nov 4, 5 and 6 are NOT a tue, wed, thurs. What are the dates will you be here? Tuesday's and Thursdays I usually ride between 25 and 40 miles (including at least 10 pavement from my house in L.A.), and usually hooking up with the OTB club rides if they're close. But I could be talked into meeting you somewhere and riding....my hours are pretty flexible. Also, what will you be riding? XC Bike? AM Bike? etc....
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    umm......i used to ride the fire roads in elysian park (near Dodger Stadium)...which is maybe 15 minutes from downtown LA....if you are from NY you probably won't mind the ganbangers ..........to get there...take Stadium Way north (towards the 5 fwy (golden state fwy) the trails are in the hills to the left and right of Stadium Way just past Academy Road.....don't know about the "legality" of riding there but I never had a problem.

Griffith park also has trails......definitely posted NO BIKES ...but you are from NY you can claim ignorance......access the park by taking Vermont North which takes you into the park......fireroad start a few hundred yards North of the Greek Theatre.....

watch out for coyotes at both these places.....harmless but scary when a pack of 10 stare you down wondering if you are worth the hassle..........