mtbr member

Places to Mtn Bike near Edwards AFB, CA

Anyone out there no where the nearest riding areas are from Edwards AFB, CA? I'll be transferring there from Yuma, AZ here shortly and don't want to miss a beat once I get there.

Thanks!
    Semper Fi,

Brian

*'01 Schwinn Rocket 88 Stage 3 and still goin' strong!
    *07 IH MarkIII Custom AM Build

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Big Bear area. good for many types of mtb, except they don't allow BIG travel bikes on the mtn anymore (some phuckstick sued 'cuz get got tooled beyond belief on the mtn and blamed them).

Kernville (~2+ hours away). just get a guidebook.

Mammoth is ~4 hours north of Edwards. opens June 21st.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

mtbr member
    Devil's Punchbowl is very close to Edwards, it's right on the edge of Angeles National Forest with even more trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    There was a post here not too long ago about the Wrightwood area, which is on the other side of Cajon Pass from Big Bear. And there's got to be some riding up around the kennedy Meadows area, which is east of Kernville.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    These are all good suggestions. I'm in Lancaster and more than happy to show you some great trails around here. Mt. Pinos, Golden Eagle, Joshua Ranch in Palmdale and areas around Lake Hughes and Bouquet Cyn are just a few. I'm a teacher so when summer hits I'll have lots of riding time so p.m. me and we'll ride! When will you transfer out here?

mtbr member

From he77 to he77

Man, you are going from one dry place to another. I feel for you. I'm at EAFB too but as a contractor for two weeks a month. The two weeks I'm at home is in the Bay Area with all kinds of great riding. When here, there is Santa Clarita along with Wrightwood and the other mentioned places. I've been looking for more local stuff but have not found too much, guess I'll have to hit up Maddog.
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the info.

Maddog, I should know something here in a week or two when I can expect to get up there. I'll have to keep you posted. Love to ride with familiar riders the first time out as long as they don't mind taking it easy on the first ride. The Rocket painted on my bike is by no means an indicator of my speed on the trail.

Later,
    Semper Fi,

Brian

*'01 Schwinn Rocket 88 Stage 3 and still goin' strong!
    *07 IH MarkIII Custom AM Build

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Speed is relative! You may be leaving me in the dust! I'm somewhat gravitationally challenged so I climb slowly but like most everyone else, I like to think that I go fast downhill. But I'm careful and stay under control. Look forward riding with you and anyone else interested. There are some great trails around here and much less crowded than the south side of the San Gabriels!