Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Places With the Least Amount of Snakes

Where do you guys go to get away from snakes? Ive been riding El Prieto a lot lately and have been hearing a lot more rattlers in the bushes lately, and to be honest... They freak me the fuk out. Lol.
    I rented a bike in Hawaii earlier this month when i was there, and it was such a relief knowing that there were no snakes (or anything else that would poison you)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Anywhere you live or ride in So.Cal you're going to have to deal with snakes. Don't worry, there are not that many reported snake bites per year that should make anyone afraid of using the outdoors. If you see a rattle snake, avoid it, it's that simple

I'm your density
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have learned that unless I stop, dismount, and shuffle into a rattler, I'm golden. I worry more about running the poor dudes over if they're busy crossing the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Suck it up Buttercup! Snakes are part of mountain biking. You can always ride the road with those texting all around you. I'll take the rattlers.

mtbr member
    I've seen 8 or so of them while riding, and never had any problem. Just don't go out of your way to bother them and you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Im most scared about somehow falling off the trail into a rattler.. Lol. I've always heard em off to the side of the trail but lately (at least whenever I'm usually riding) I've been hearing them a lot more closer to the trail edge.

Articles like this also don't really do much to calm my nerves....

Drought may be causing higher rates of snakebites in Southern California

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Places With the Least Amount of Snakes

Quote Originally Posted by bcusitsjefe View Post
    Im most scared about somehow falling off the trail into a rattler.. Lol. I've always heard em off to the side of the trail but lately (at least whenever I'm usually riding) I've been hearing them a lot more closer to the trail edge.

You are still more likely to fall off a cliff than fall onto a snake.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Hawaii or just give up riding.

Take a poll of riders who have actually been bitten while riding. I think you will get the expected results.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

If you are riding along and think you are hearing rattlesnakes in the brush near you, those are not snakes! Rattlesnakes don't just crawl around rattling; they only rattle in response to an immediate threat. Most likely you are hearing cicadas (like crickets), which do make a rattling-like noise, and it can be really loud. I wouldn't have thought about this but I have a friend who lives a couple of houses from a really great trail, and he told me he was afraid to walk there because of all the rattlesnakes he heard; that's when I figured out that people could think the noise cicadas make could be a rattlesnake.

Although people do come across snakes, including rattlesnakes, once in a while when riding, they just aren't that common. If you think they are so common you are afraid of falling into one, then you definitely have the wrong impression - the likelihood of that happening is one in a million or one in a billion. So really, you just need to relax about it and not get freaked out, because the risk is really, really, really low!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    If you are riding along and think you are hearing rattlesnakes in the brush near you, those are not snakes! Rattlesnakes don't just crawl around rattling; they only rattle in response to an immediate threat. Most likely you are hearing cicadas (like crickets), which do make a rattling-like noise, and it can be really loud. I wouldn't have thought about this but I have a friend who lives a couple of houses from a really great trail, and he told me he was afraid to walk there because of all the rattlesnakes he heard; that's when I figured out that people could think the noise cicadas make could be a rattlesnake.

Although people do come across snakes, including rattlesnakes, once in a while when riding, they just aren't that common. If you think they are so common you are afraid of falling into one, then you definitely have the wrong impression - the likelihood of that happening is one in a million or one in a billion. So really, you just need to relax about it and not get freaked out, because the risk is really, really, really low!

Well this definitely has calmed me down a bit (although i do know some of the sounds i've heard were rattlers, according to other people on the trail), i never thought about cicadas.

I guess i should just relax a bit more and just ride...

Anyone riding this week? Lol

most memberable
    May 2011
    I see snakes all the time and they are very aggressive and always trying to bite me! They are are on all my favorite trails in SD and OC counties. If any of you have any fear of or apprehension about them, I would not ride here...it's too dangerous.

That's okay, don't worry about me though, I used to hunt and eat snakes (rattlers) as a kid. I will continue patrol the trails unabated, warning others of the hazards of snakes...and mountain lions, too...even if I have to do it alone and risk life and limb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    RTS0212, thanks for being such a giver, we all appreciate the work your doing...does rattlesnakes really taste like chicken?

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    RTS0212, thanks for being such a giver, we all appreciate the work your doing...does rattlesnakes really taste like chicken?
    It's a tough, tough job, but somebody has to do it.

Kind of like chicken...it's mostly psychosomatic!

official eMpTyBRain
    Where do you guys go to get away from snakes? Ive been riding El Prieto a lot lately and have been hearing a lot more rattlers in the bushes lately, and to be honest... They freak me the fuk out. Lol.
    I rented a bike in Hawaii earlier this month when i was there, and it was such a relief knowing that there were no snakes (or anything else that would poison you)
    You need to get over your ridiculous phobia. Imagine what a you look like to a snake. You're only about 100 times larger. It's them who have a justified fear.

If you are going to ride your bike in wild areas, prepare to be among snakes. It's their home. You are the visitor. Respect is all it takes.

If that is beyond your comprehension/ability then sell your trail bike and stay off the dirt. I understand that cycling is also done on paved roads in the "concrete jungle".
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Think of it like this, at least you can hear the
    rattlers. Its the lions you need to really watch
    out for.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    That and don't forget about the SoCal red striped snipe. It took three riders in 2013, one in 2011, and wbo can forget the bloody year of 2010?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah, those snipe are crazy, luckily we don't have the Blue striped snipe, like they have in Colorado, almost got attacked by one, if it wasn't for my dry chain making that squeaking sound, he probably would have taken he down, but if he came any closer, I was going to take the floor pump I have strapped to my top tube tube and whack the thing across one of his two heads.

I'm your density
    Hopefully you'll be lucky enough to see one of these (mountain kingsnake -- not a coral snake):

Ty Webb

official eMpTyBRain
    I've had a few California mountain kings for pets. Gorgeous snakes but they bite!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    In contrast with the article, I have seen a lot less rattlers this year.
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Wait.....

Snakes bite?

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    In contrast with the article, I have seen a lot less rattlers this year.
    I have seen a Blutarski of rattlers this year.
    Ty Webb

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy View Post
    Wait.....

Snakes bite?
    Yep.

Next thing ya know...he'll say he's afraid of spiders.

Cuz, ya know...I don't likes spiders and snakes! Bueller?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I hardly ever see rattlers up on Mt. laguna in San Diego, I've seen more mountain lions there, but lately, the rattler sightings are catching up.

The rattlers up there are very dark, almost black, and they seem to be smaller than the lowland rattlers. But they are much more ornery.

I found a 4' one ...big for up there on Sunday, and I had to move him a few feet off the trail. The funny thing was that although he looked to be uninjured, for some reason he reacted like a rattler would, coiled himself up, but he didn't rattle at me at all.
    He just let me pick him up by sliding a long branch underneath him, and gently walk him off the trail a ways, and gently put him down. I don't see any reason to hurt them unless they pose an immediate threat to people or their animals.....they fill a vital niche up there in controlling a species that DOES seem to be in abundance compared to last year....ground squirrels.

And, BTW.....what Hawg said is right. Leave them be if it is at all possible.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast