Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've been fortunate enough in the last few years in seeing several Mountain King snakes, they're a pretty awesome site. A few years ago, I pick a baby one off of the road, where it surely would have gotten run over, and put it off the side of the road.

mtbr member
    They are crickets in the bushes cooling off, not snakes.most of the time that is what you hear, however you never know, they can sneak up behind you on a climb and get you at any time...be aware!
    2013 Anthem Advanced 29er
    1999 Turner 02
    Raced for Mongoose Bikes from Alum,Carbon to TI.
    1987 Redline Mountain bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The worst rattlesnake experience I have ever had on my bike happened when i was about 10 (20 years ago fwiw). I was riding my bike through some paths in the palmdale desert, and thought a snake was a stick so I just rolled over it. I ran over its head, which pushed its fangs up through its skull into my front tire and basically sticking it in place. The snake twisted up in my spokes and caused the front end to lock up, sending me over the bars into some jumping cactus. Being 10, i panicked and ran back home with all the cactus paddles still stuck in me, leaving my bike in the desert. Took my dad and I a couple days to find the bike as i had no idea where i left it, I just ran away in blind fear.

So long story short, if you come across a snake on the paths, its most likely going to take more damage than you, and you stand a higher change of injury from the aftermath of the confrontation than the actual confrontation.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by malicefox View Post
    The worst rattlesnake experience I have ever had on my bike happened when i was about 10 (20 years ago fwiw). I was riding my bike through some paths in the palmdale desert, and thought a snake was a stick so I just rolled over it. I ran over its head, which pushed its fangs up through its skull into my front tire and basically sticking it in place. The snake twisted up in my spokes and caused the front end to lock up, sending me over the bars into some jumping cactus. Being 10, i panicked and ran back home with all the cactus paddles still stuck in me, leaving my bike in the desert. Took my dad and I a couple days to find the bike as i had no idea where i left it, I just ran away in blind fear.

So long story short, if you come across a snake on the paths, its most likely going to take more damage than you, and you stand a higher change of injury from the aftermath of the confrontation than the actual confrontation.
    Although I do not doubt this happened, it's "unbelievable"! The cards were not stacked in your favor on that day. If you were a cat, that would surely have cost you one of your 9 lives.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Worst part was using my kid logic of not letting my parents pull the cactus out of my leg because it was deep and would hurt, they had to cut the paddle off and leave the spine stuck in my leg and wait until i fell asleep to remove it. The next morning i started screaming because i thought i rolled over on the spine and pushed it all the way in my leg. My mom started laughing and pointed at my nightstand where the spine they took out was laying. I didn't find it so funny.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Was biking up at Mt Laguna today. The snakes were alive and out today...I encountered one and was told by two other people biking and hiking that they saw them as well.

I was going north on the east side of the upper meadow and was going about 15mph down a gently slope thru some trees. Just after I rounded a slight bend thru the trees to a straight away in the trial, there was a 4' fat rattler just starting to cross the trail about 15 feet in front of me. I must have startled it cuz it quickly rattled and tried to strike at me as I past it, but since it wasn't coiled it could only feign a short strike. Simultaneously, I let out a loud "sh!t!" then stopped about 20 feet up. I got off the bike and walked back and watched it cross the trail into some low-lying weeds/branches. I hovered over it taking some pictures getting close enough (within 4 feet) to where it would rattle as it was moving forward and away from me.

Also, as I was leaving in the car going back down S-1 hwy to I-8, I noticed a large coyote on the east side of the road approaching the hwy. It stopped in some trees on the side of the hill next to the hwy (where the cows are at the 5K foot elevation level). I was hoping it would cross the road in front of me (heading west...which is good luck in Native American mythology), so I pulled over and waited for it to do so. Well, it just sat there in the shade of the tree looking around and watching me for about a 1/2 hour. I figured it was waiting for me to leave, so as I was starting the car back up to leave, it got up and walked over to a fallen tree about 15 feet away. It looked at the ground and started to pounce up and down in the dirt....arching its body like a polar bear does thru the ice/snow to get to a seal below. After about 30 seconds of this pouncing, he came up with a nice size mole or field mouse and promptly gobbled it down. Patience. Not too many times are we rewarded with being able to watch predation like that in nature. A first for me.

Lastly, I crashed and burned up by the Wooded Hill secret trails by the Agua Dulce pump house...I have a few sprocket gashes and scrapes in both my lower legs...nothing to write home about...just another MTBing Purple Heart!

Overall, it was a good day to ride up in the mountains and to be alive!!!

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    Was biking up at Mt Laguna today. The snakes were alive and out today...I encountered one and was told by two other people biking and hiking that they saw them as well.

I was going north on the east side of the upper meadow and was going about 15mph down a gently slope thru some trees. Just after I rounded a slight bend thru the trees to a straight away in the trial, there was a 4' fat rattler just starting to cross the trail about 15 feet in front of me. I must have startled it cuz it quickly rattled and tried to strike at me as I past it, but since it wasn't coiled it could only feign a short strike. Simultaneously, I let out a loud "sh!t!" then stopped about 20 feet up. I got off the bike and walked back and watched it cross the trail into some low-lying weeds/branches. I hovered over it taking some pictures getting close enough (within 4 feet) to where it would rattle as it was moving forward and away from me.

Also, as I was leaving in the car going back down S-1 hwy to I-8, I noticed a large coyote on the east side of the road approaching the hwy. It stopped in some trees on the side of the hill next to the hwy (where the cows are at the 5K foot elevation level). I was hoping it would cross the road in front of me (heading west...which is good luck in Native American mythology), so I pulled over and waited for it to do so. Well, it just sat there in the shade of the tree looking around and watching me for about a 1/2 hour. I figured it was waiting for me to leave, so as I was starting the car back up to leave, it got up and walked over to a fallen tree about 15 feet away. It looked at the ground and started to pounce up and down in the dirt....arching its body like a polar bear does thru the ice/snow to get to a seal below. After about 30 seconds of this pouncing, he came up with a nice size mole or field mouse and promptly gobbled it down. Patience. Not too many times are we rewarded with being able to watch predation like that in nature. A first for me.

Lastly, I crashed and burned up by the Wooded Hill secret trails by the Agua Dulce pump house...I have a few sprocket gashes and scrapes in both my lower legs...nothing to write home about...just another MTBing Purple Heart!

Overall, it was a good day to ride up in the mountains and to be alive!!!
    Very cool RTS02112!

Did you upload your snakes pics here? If not would you mind sharing them?

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Very cool RTS02112!

Did you upload your snakes pics here? If not would you mind sharing them?
    Here are the three best. My cellphone camera sucks. Heck, these are so grainy you might mistake them for the ever elusive "Old" Laguna Sasquatch.

Places With the Least Amount of Snakes-mt-laguna-rattler-1.jpg

Places With the Least Amount of Snakes-mt-laguna-rattler-2.jpg

Places With the Least Amount of Snakes-mt-laguna-rattler-3.jpg

banned
    Jan 2013
    We saw a FAT rattler up in the Lagunas last weekend. Drought or not, that guy had been eating well. We stopped, watched him cross the trail and then continued with our ride. All good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You guys may have noticed....there's a bumper crop of ground squirrels up in Laguna this year. Snake chow.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    ...and closer to home (for me): San Clemente canyon/Marian Bear yesterday. Big fella was just chillin' in the shade at the edge of a stagnant pond under one of the freeway ramps (52/Genesee). Looked to be about a good 5 feet long and as big around as my *****.

I'm no snake expert, but I was kinda surprised to see a rattler so close to the water.

*my WRIST, ya bunch of pervs!

Places With the Least Amount of Snakes-img_8859.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckanado View Post
    ...and closer to home (for me): San Clemente canyon/Marian Bear yesterday. Big fella was just chillin' in the shade at the edge of a stagnant pond under one of the freeway ramps (52/Genesee). Looked to be about a good 5 feet long and as big around as my *****.

I'm no snake expert, but I was kinda surprised to see a rattler so close to the water.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8859.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	276.0 KB 
ID:	911294

That's pretty cool.....there used to be a big one that lived on the hillside single track connecting SC and Rose. I saw him on the trail a few times.

And at the right time of day, the road through Rose has a snake out warming itself on the edge about every 2-300 yards.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Like the OP, I used to be scurrred of the snake, but then I read up on them and learned when and how they operate. They get hunted as well and are scared of us. I don't trip out on them anymore. If I stop on a trail, I just do a quick scan to ensure I don't plant my foot on one.

I ran over the mother of all rattle snakes in Marshal Canyon. I was flying down a run, navigating my way around some horse sh!t when the sh!t suddenly moved. That Snake was not impressed with me as it slid off the trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    lol This is one of the funniest posts I have seen. The most unsafe part of any Mt Bike ride is the drive to the trailhead. Statistically you have a far greater chance of death in a car then biking in an area with snakes. That being said, just go ride your bike and enjoy the adventure.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mojoronnie View Post
    lol This is one of the funniest posts I have seen. The most unsafe part of any Mt Bike ride is the drive to the trailhead. Statistically you have a far greater chance of death in a car then biking in an area with snakes. That being said, just go ride your bike and enjoy the adventure.
    Yes, but you have an air bag in case of a crash.

In case of a snake bite, you're fooked...cuz, last time I checked, NO mtber ever carries anti-venom or an emergency helicopter (in their camel back) for that life flight to the nearest hospital!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thats why you buy a drone and keep it in your pack. If you get bit, have it pre-programmed to go to the hospital with a note saying antivenom needed. LOL

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    Yes, but you have an air bag in case of a crash.

In case of a snake bite, you're fooked...cuz, last time I checked, NO mtber ever carries anti-venom or an emergency helicopter (in their camel back) for that life flight to the nearest hospital!!!

OMG! Some people should just stay indoors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcusitsjefe View Post
    Where do you guys go to get away from snakes? Ive been riding El Prieto a lot lately and have been hearing a lot more rattlers in the bushes lately, and to be honest... They freak me the fuk out. Lol.
    I rented a bike in Hawaii earlier this month when i was there, and it was such a relief knowing that there were no snakes (or anything else that would poison you)
    Above the tree line.

If you find a rattlesnake, just eat it and make something out of it.

'96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

official eMpTyBRain
    If I ever happen to cross paths with MCS, I plan to make something nice out of his skin, too.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin...

most memberable
    May 2011
    OMG! Some people should just stay indoors.
    Exactly! That way I can have the trials all to myself, hence the tactic employed!

official eMpTyBRain
    I hear that we are entering Snakenado season. Perhaps it's best if those who fear snakes do indeed stay indoors (and off the trails) for a while. It doesn't bother me at all when a snake drops out of the sky and lands on my lap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    BTW... Does anyone know of an epic surf spot where I won't find any sharks? I would hate to paddle out in an area where there might be some sharks, too dangerous! lol

official eMpTyBRain
    BTW... Does anyone know of an epic surf spot where I won't find any sharks? I would hate to paddle out in an area where there might be some sharks, too dangerous! lol
    This brings up another important fact. There are no snakes in the surf along the So Cal surf. Unless you consider the "wave snake" who drops in on your wave and snakes you out of a good ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    This brings up another important fact. There are no snakes in the surf along the So Cal surf. Unless you consider the "wave snake" who drops in on your wave and snakes you out of a good ride.
    One of the joys of SoCal surfing for sure. I actually knew a guy who got a dry bite from a genuine sea snake in the surf down off Oaxaca. It washed onto his board in the lineup and bit him right above the knee, but it was a dry bite, because he did not die. I think he mighta crapped his trunks, though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Don't go near my toilet, there is a big snake in thurrr.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast