mtbr member

Pitbull at Sweetwater

Has anyone heard anything of this? I was there this morning, saw a few signs about a couple people with a pitbull who are letting it run wild and attack things. The flyer stated that it attacked this persons horse and did quite some damage. This is the first Ive heard about this, anyone have any info? Stay safe out there!

Rockfish

I first noticed the signs...

during an October ride from the bridge, before the fires. Two days later I caught a news story about a pit bull attack in Bonita, on the walking path next to the golf course. A couple of people in a car driving by got the dog away from the victim.

What makes the Sweetwater incident so disturbing is the pit bull's owners totally passive behavior during the attack. They made no effort whatsoever to get their dog under control.

I see dogs off leash on a regular basis there. I've personally never had a problem because I think most of them have the appropriate temperament and training to be allowed off leash. It only takes one irresponsible owner to ruin your day, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti
    Has anyone heard anything of this? I was there this morning, saw a few signs about a couple people with a pitbull who are letting it run wild and attack things. The flyer stated that it attacked this persons horse and did quite some damage. This is the first Ive heard about this, anyone have any info? Stay safe out there!
    Thanks for the heads up, I will make sure to look around next time I ride there.

Was that a Bobcat?
    backcountryeti, where did you see the flyers? I was out there riding early Wednesday morning and didn't see any Pits..... ran into a couple of Coyotes, but they were more scared of me then I was of them.

mtbr member
    The flyers were on telephone poles at the old bridge in rancho. I noticed 3 flyers, could be more. Didnt see any pits myself, I think Im more worried of the owners if the flyers are true.

Trail Rider
    I thought I read that a horse was injured. I saw pictures of a horse's legs on the flyers.
    [size=4]Don[/size]

Was that a Bobcat?
    Thanks for the info. I will be sure to be careful when I ride out there. Come to think about it, maybe the pits are the same ones that are around the homeless camp by the swapmeet. Everytime I do the Sweetwater loop, I always see some guys (at that camp) with a couple pits. Just a speculation. Be safe everyone.

mtbr member
    Where is the swapmeet area? Just curious. I have been seeing more and more people out there lately, and not really people out hiking for fitness. Had a few yell at me one day, kinda weird. I wouldnt be surprised if some people have some pot plants out there.

Was that a Bobcat?
    It is on the other side of the park. Basically if you start at the park on the Bonita side and was making the Sweetwater trail a loop, you would come throught the trails that hook around the dam area and up behind the condos that overlook the 54 freeway. This would bring you around the backside of the spring valley swapmeet. There is a homeless camp out there, you can't miss it if you pass it.

mtbr member
    Okay, I know where you are talking about, what is the other side of the loop like? I always do an out and back type ride out there.

Was that a Bobcat?
    The other side is fun, you can come around the houses on the north side of the stream and stay low just above the stream, or you can go high and be on top of the ridge of the hills above the stream and drop back down just before the steel bridge. The entire ride makes a good workout loop.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Similar story at the Florida Canyon dogpark in North Park a few months ago. Two people were walking thier lab puppy in the canyon, while two other non-english speaking folk had they're pit off the leash. The pit bull mauled the puppy, and they ran away with the dog.

The owners of the puppy (dead) went on a crusade posting fliers all over the place trying to track the owners down. Don't know what happened, but I've seen three pit bull attacks at various dog parks, and I think they should be illegal.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Bring pepper spray and blast the dog and the jackass owners. Works like a charm. Make sure you hit their noses and eyes and stand upwind when you shoot. You can pick up a nice little canister at Big-5 for $10.
    If not biking, then what?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula
    I think they should be illegal.
    I blame the owners in situations like these. Pit bulls can be very nice dogs, if they are trained to be. They can also be very violent, again, if they are trained to be. But then again, Ive never been on the receiving end of one of these attacks, Id probably have a different opinion.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti
    I blame the owners in situations like these. Pit bulls can be very nice dogs, if they are trained to be. They can also be very violent, again, if they are trained to be. But then again, Ive never been on the receiving end of one of these attacks, Id probably have a different opinion.
    Unfourtunatly, I think Pit Bulls are the exception to the "training explanation". You can train a Pit Bull to be nice as pie and totally submissive; and then out of the blue 7 years later it could snap and tear apart a golden retriever for no good reason (seen it).

They've been painstakingly bred over hundreds of years to be vicsous fighting machines, and when they snap its f'ing scary.

mtbr member
    good point, pits are a weird animal.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula
    Unfourtunatly, I think Pit Bulls are the exception to the "training explanation". You can train a Pit Bull to be nice as pie and totally submissive; and then out of the blue 7 years later it could snap and tear apart a golden retriever for no good reason (seen it).

They've been painstakingly bred over hundreds of years to be vicsous fighting machines, and when they snap its f'ing scary.
    Doberman, German shepards, Rottweilers etc are also bred for strength and attack but they are generally used to guard against humans. Pits are bred to fight other dogs and as such if they are not socialized properly with other animals they can be very dangerous especially to other dogs. That being said statistics show that they are no more likely to attack a human or animal than any other breed, however their immense strength and bite force make any such attack much more devastating. I own a pit mix and he is fixed. he has been attacked by other dogs but he does not fight. You will find that most pits that attack still have their balls. When they go into attack mode it is scary as hell. I saw 2 pits that were owned by the same guy tear each other up at dog beach one day. They clamped down on each others face and stayed locked together for about 5 minutes. The owner tried to break it up and hit one of the dogs. The dog turned on him and bit him in the face.
    To me it is simple, keep the dog on a leash unless you are in a posted leash free zone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Hope Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    Doberman, German shepards, Rottweilers etc are also bred for strength and attack but they are generally used to guard against humans. Pits are bred to fight other dogs and as such if they are not socialized properly with other animals they can be very dangerous especially to other dogs. That being said statistics show that they are no more likely to attack a human or animal than any other breed, however their immense strength and bite force make any such attack much more devastating. I own a pit mix and he is fixed. he has been attacked by other dogs but he does not fight. You will find that most pits that attack still have their balls. When they go into attack mode it is scary as hell. I saw 2 pits that were owned by the same guy tear each other up at dog beach one day. They clamped down on each others face and stayed locked together for about 5 minutes. The owner tried to break it up and hit one of the dogs. The dog turned on him and bit him in the face.
    To me it is simple, keep the dog on a leash unless you are in a posted leash free zone.

I second that opinion. I raised and bred these dogs for 15 years back in the day before they were all that. These dogs are extremely loyal and quite docile if brought up properly (just like any other living animal, human) I had a niece who would come over and get inside of a doghouse with mother and dogs, while I don't advise anyone to do this I watched her very carefully at first, but the female was perfectly fine with it and I never had an issue with it. I truly believe these dogs do have the potential and ability to damage beyond belief, but I think the actions mimic the owners intentions. Ask Michael Vick. I can't tell you how many times people puul their children away from my dog at the dog park only to find out it is their dog (not a PBT) who starts the fight

Trying a little
    Sad comment on humanity but in my humble opinion 80% of pitbull owners leave the dogs in the backyard 20 hours a day on a 10' chain, hence the dogs go mildly insane. don't blame the dog, not every time. dumb people should just be shipped off to central baja, plenty of space for them there and literally nothing they can screw up.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP
    Bring pepper spray and blast the dog and the jackass owners. Works like a charm. Make sure you hit their noses and eyes and stand upwind when you shoot. You can pick up a nice little canister at Big-5 for $10.
    Not a bad idea but it's kinda hard to pull it out when the dog is chewing on your leg. The owner definately deserves a shot.