mtbr member

Pictures from Mammoth Mtn!!

Heres some pictures from Mammoth Mountain from last weekend.
    Not many riding shots because we mostly shot movies.

If anyone wants to tell me how to post short movies I'd gladly let you see them!

enjoyPictures..click here!
    Intense Tracer

mtbr member
    You have some cool photos there! I haven't been to Mammoth in 5 years, but will make a return trip in two weeks, so you're getting me hyped up.

Did you guys ride Chainsmoke? How "advanced" was it?

How about other trails like Skid Marks, Brake Through, etc? Did you ride "Down Town"? I'm trying to decide whether to bring my SS and kid-trailer for that one, and think I remember it as wide and smooth enough to manage that with ease...

[paste title here]
    Great pics!
    Keep Pedaling

mtbr dismember

Going there next week, XC trails?

I'm going there next week. I'm not a downhiller. Can you recommend any good long XC trails? Or are there any beginner DH runs I could try?

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeBikr
    Heres some pictures from Mammoth Mountain from last weekend.
    Not many riding shots because we mostly shot movies.

If anyone wants to tell me how to post short movies I'd gladly let you see them!

enjoyPictures..click here!
    I like the picture of the biker coming down the stairs at the lodge. I got mildly scolded for coming down a 4-5 step section by an employee 2 weeks ago. . It looks like the bike park would be a blast. Nice pics.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

XC trails

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    I'm going there next week. I'm not a downhiller. Can you recommend any good long XC trails? Or are there any beginner DH runs I could try?
    Steve, most of the trails on the mountain are XC friendly. One excellent primarily downhill run is to take the gondola all the way to the top. Go down the off (maybe over, can't recall exactly) the top trail down. Make your way towards the chairliff (Chair 13 I believe) and the lake. Go around the lake and pick up Beach Cruiser trail. Take Beach cruiser back to the lodge. Then, you can try to pick up Paper route over to Downtown trail and ride all the way down to the coffee shop on Minnaret. This is quite a long run and a ton of fun.

There are some other very XC friendly trails from Mid Chalet as well. Although all of the trails have a downhill progression, there's enough climbing on some of them to still give you a work out.

Michael

Merrrrjig
    Jan 2004
    Im a DHer and I rode mammoth a week or 2 ago. Pretty fun id have to say. We did, the top part of off the top to kamakze, all of kamakze, top part of skid marks to bullit, Velocity, chainsmoke, i think it was bridge the gap to 7 bridges to ricochet to 7 bridges to downtown to shotgun. Id have to say that velocity was my favorite, but we never got to do upper velocity cuz it was closed. Chian smoke was fun but some parts were way knarly. Bullet was a close 2nd to the best trail but it was a real ***** to get to. Bullet was a lot longer and had knarlyer stuff. theres this triple drop and some way sick rock drops. The bridge the gap to all those other trails was fun but not as technical. more flowy. shotgun was fun but too "used" and sandy. except for the log ride. Thats about it

mtbr dismember

Thanks!

Haven't heard much from you in a while. New job keeping you busy?

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Haven't heard much from you in a while. New job keeping you busy?
    I get home and check out the messages but generally don't post as much anymore since I get involved in too many threads way too late nowadays. I also haven't shot a video in a while so I can't even post for that reason.

I'll be up in San Luis Obispo next week for some training and I plan to get in a few rides with a local so hopefully I'll get some footage to edit. we'll see.

Mammoth is a ton of fun though. I haven't been for about 4 years now and want to get back up there. Maybe next year. The trails and scenery are wonderful. They do a good job with the trails after the snow melts. Each time I've been up there a bunch of trails on the front of the mountain have still been closed due to snow so there are many trails I haven't ridden yet but the ones I have are a lot of fun. Even though there's not a ton of climbing (if you do the chairlift thing) you'll still get a good workout and besides, 500 feet of climbing at 9,000 feet = 2,000 at sea level right? ;-)

Michael

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    .Did you guys ride Chainsmoke? How "advanced" was it?

How about other trails like Skid Marks, Brake Through, etc? Did you ride "Down Town"? I'm trying to decide whether to bring my SS and kid-trailer for that one, and think I remember it as wide and smooth enough to manage that with ease...

Yes we rode ChainSmoke....its pretty intense!
    Theres some crazy rock drop offs atleast 20 feet high...but in most cases theres ways down em that are somewhat rideable for a XC guy like me on a Tracer.

Also every jump in the park is rollable which is really cooool.
    We rode Chainsmoke and Velocity probably 3-4 times each one day and everytime we were tackling the steep technical sections more and more and getting more air on the jumps.

After riding all day you build up your confidence and skills and you develop a rythym...hard to explain but I know it happens!

anywayz have fun!
    Intense Tracer