Beer Please!

Pick up Adventure pass for San Juan Shuttle

My friends and I are going to be shuttling San Juan this week. Is there a gas station off Ortega Hwy and the 5 that sells Adventure passes for the day?

to all the xc guys, please no rude comments about shuttling instead of riding up.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Warrior's Society
    If you park without an Adventure Pass and get a ticket.....it is only $5.....which is what it would cost you if you bought one.

Depends on the time of day/week....have parked there multiple times without a pass and didn't get a ticket.

Been a long time since I have been up to the top, hit unless they put in a picnic table and restroom, you don't need an AP up there.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

I eat cats
    The candy store on Ortega sells day passes and is a cool little place to stop at. Just google Ortega Oaks Candy Store for hours. I think there is also a ranger station along the way that you can try to google. The big gas station right at the 5/Ortega might sell them too, I believe its a Shell if you want to try to look it up and call.

Last time I was at the bottom of San Juan the ranger was about to ticket a guy I was with but I showed him my extra vehicle pass so he let it slide. He did say he puts a $5 ticket on your window but that sometimes the sheriff will come by after him and put a ticket for the real fine amount on.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post
    The candy store on Ortega sells day passes and is a cool little place to stop at. Just google Ortega Oaks Candy Store for hours. I think there is also a ranger station along the way that you can try to google. The big gas station right at the 5/Ortega might sell them too, I believe its a Shell if you want to try to look it up and call.

Last time I was at the bottom of San Juan the ranger was about to ticket a guy I was with but I showed him my extra vehicle pass so he let it slide. He did say he puts a $5 ticket on your window but that sometimes the sheriff will come by after him and put a ticket for the real fine amount on.
    cool thanks. Yeah the ticket is only $5 if you don't get caught by the popo, then it is more like $40.00. We have two cars so not worth chancing when the adventure pass itself is only $5.oo for a day pass.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Beer Please!
    well, the Candy store looks like it is way on the other side closer to Elsinore, and we plan to leave a car at the bottom of San Juan.

I called the Shell Store and they do not sell them.

Anyone know of another spot to get em at? I will do some digging around in other places as well.

nvm, There is a Sports Chalet near my office that sells em, I will just go pick them up at lunch.

I'm your density
    Are you still in O'side? You can get the daily passes from these places. Pretty sure you can get them before the day of:

OCEANSIDE

Big 5 # 073
    2301 Vista Way
    Oceanside, CA 92054
    760-757-4154
    Annual, Daily, Secondary

Sports Authority #783
    2160 Vista Way
    Oceanside, CA 92054
    760-967-1891
    Annual, Daily, Secondary

Adventure 16-South Oceanside
    2002 South Coast Hwy
    Oceanside, CA 92054
    760-966-1700
    Annual, Daily, Secondary
    In general: Region 5 - Recreation Passes & Permits

EDIT: A minute or two too slow
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Big 5. Buy one for $25 and get an additional for only $5 more.
    I may not be very good, but I'm slow.

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    well, the Candy store looks like it is way on the other side closer to Elsinore, and we plan to leave a car at the bottom of San Juan.

I called the Shell Store and they do not sell them.

Anyone know of another spot to get em at? I will do some digging around in other places as well.

nvm, There is a Sports Chalet near my office that sells em, I will just go pick them up at lunch.
    Yeah, sorry about that. The candy store is after the lower San Juan parking area but I think it is before the turnoff to go up to blue jay for the initial drop off. I was just thinking in terms of what is available on the day of, I always buy a yearly pass for $35 with the extra vehicle pass as well. Hopefully you got one for the day needed.

When you are done the candy shop is a good place to pick up old school candy (root beer candy is why I go there). There is also a 'biker' bar near blue jay if you want a cold one.

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsmetona View Post
    Big 5. Buy one for $25 and get an additional for only $5 more.
    It is actually $30 plus $5 if you want the extra vehicle pass these days.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    If you haven't ridden it before, I highly recommend taking a left (Old San Juan?) when you hit the meadow and riding the south side of the Lollipop loop to Cocktail Rock. It has more tech and is generally just more interesting. Just don't take any of the lefts after that or you'll end up at the waterfall! Check MtbBill's site for maps.

Also, if you like some chunk/jumps/features/waterfalls, next time think about the (short) shuttle from Blue Jay to Viejo Tie to Chiquito, ending at the Candy Store. Have fun!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

official eMpTyBRain
    Shuttling? From an "XC guy".
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Hawg, I learned to ride on the San Juan Trail waaaay back in '89-90 when the trail runners outnumbered the bikes. When we started seeing the downhill only groups starting to show up we called them "coasters". I rode that area for years and never once started at the top.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Hawg, I learned to ride on the San Juan Trail waaaay back in '89-90 when the trail runners outnumbered the bikes. When we started seeing the downhill only groups starting to show up we called them "coasters". I rode that area for years and never once started at the top.
    Awesome! I was just giving Klurejr a hard time, because he said not to.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    If you haven't ridden it before, I highly recommend taking a left (Old San Juan?) when you hit the meadow and riding the south side of the Lollipop loop to Cocktail Rock. It has more tech and is generally just more interesting. Just don't take any of the lefts after that or you'll end up at the waterfall! Check MtbBill's site for maps.

Also, if you like some chunk/jumps/features/waterfalls, next time think about the (short) shuttle from Blue Jay to Viejo Tie to Chiquito, ending at the Candy Store. Have fun!
    That sounds cool, I def want to go back and ride it again. I forgot just how much climbing there actually is int he first 5 miles. I hate pedaling uphill with my fullface helmet and full pads on, but it was not too bad. Only had to hike a few sections where I could not climb up the rock gardens (not my strong point in the saddle).

I took some pictures of the map board at the end of the trail and I guess we took a route called the San Juan Truck Trail? At least it felt like we did.
    Here is my Strava from the day, Compared to the map in my next post we def did the "truck" trail. What is the other part like, and how Do I make sure I don't miss it next time?
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | San juan trail near Lake Elsinore | Times and Records | Strava

The shorter loop back to Candy Store might be a fun option to get a few shuttles in.

We only got one done because of a slightly late start, one guy got a flat right away, and then he got lost and we wasted a lot of time in the morning. Of the four of us I was the only one to not taste dirt, some a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Very cute.... ;-)
    Last edited by Klurejr; 09-11-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Beer Please!
    Here are my pics from Yesterday:

Waiting while we try to find Mike, he took a left down a super steep section and ended up back on the San Juan trail further down, however we did not know that is where it went so he pushed his bike back up......

He was a bit exhausted when he got back up:

Taking a little break and wishing I had a granola bar with me:

A pic my buddy took of me:

Move views on the way down:

Everyone Tired on the shuttle run back up to get my truck:

And two shots of the map at the trail head, I need to pick up this trail map to have on me:

After the ride we went to the Riders Club in San Clemente for Burgers and Beer, and we all agreed it was one of the best Burgers we have ever had, I think it was my overall hunger that decided that.

Also of note, being a Tuesday we saw one other rider the whole day, that was really nice.