Thread: Pasadena ticket

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Pasadena ticket

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Pasadena's traffic court.

I was charged for improper left turn.

I am debating whether to do traffic school or fight it by written declaration/trial (or try to strike a deal).

My argument is that the turn arrows appear faded to me. The intersection is right after a freeway overhang, so the high contrast of shadow and light, and then the low contrast between the paint and the concrete light grey of the street doesn't make it easy to distinguish. The cop said I turned left from the middle lane and said I was almost hit by a car in the left turn pocket, behind me.

I would appreciate it if you could take a look at the pictures and tell me whether the arrows looked faded or not to you, enough to convince the judge or not.

I have a clean record (1 year in US, and 10 years in Italy).

Thanks

Flickr: RidinginCali's Photostream

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I won in Pasadena court via written declaration, but it was years ago. CHP pulled me over on Angeles Crest on my motorcycle for illegal passing, which I definitely did not do! Guess I raised enough doubt...and CHP was handing out tickets like candy that day, so maybe they had more profitable cases to fight.

Frankly, the arrows are fairly visible in your photos and on Google Maps. There's no dotted arc line through the intersection that usually goes with dual left turn lanes, another hint that the center lane isn't good for left turns. Notice the cross street has the "dashed arc" through the intersection. Are there any signs that show each lane and the turns allowed, either on the traffic signal or before the bridge? If there isn't, it will help make a case.

Whatever you do, don't say the "arrow looked faded"....that means you did see it! Sorry to rain on your parade, IMHO you need to beef up your defense.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kenish View Post
    Are there any signs that show each lane and the turns allowed, either on the traffic signal or before the bridge?
    no there aren't, but thanks for your comment! it might just save me the added time and expense of fighting, maybe I'll just do traffic school right away.

mtbr member
    Hmm that might be a tough one to win. I drive through that intersection daily and have never had a problem with the glare personally. Overall though streets in Pasadena are incredibly poorly designed so you never know what might happen in court.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    I blame Strava.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I used to sit as a traffic judge, so I have a good feel for these things and IMHO you will lose.

Have you ever been on that route before? If not, why were you on it on that day? If you were on it before, you'd have seen the arrows.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Check out the advice on this site: Fight Traffic Tickets / Contest Traffic Tickets with the Ticket Assassin: Your Guide to Fighting California Traffic Tickets & Contesting Traffic Citations in California. I've had luck beating several tickets over the years using the info on the site, including one in Pasadena, with the trial by written declaration method. I say fight it, you don't always have to be in the right to win.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    Have you ever been on that route before? If not, why were you on it on that day? If you were on it before, you'd have seen the arrows.

Thanks for the advice, I had never been through there, I took the wrong turn going to work. Also I'm a recent immigrant and in italy the traffic signs are different, hence my confusion at the intersection.

I have researched the estimated lifetime of that paint used, i found an official report on that paint and an official report on the amount of traffic in that street, and in my opinion it is past its due for repaint however people might disagree just based on the fact that it is not totally faded.

I can try to call the prosecutor if he gives me a deal because of my clean record, otherwise I will take traffic school.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    about ticket assassin,

I'll take a look but if I lose it will cost me more in insurance than just paying the ticket. also I have limited free time to go to court, I make more money just going to work instead

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Insurance should be a non-issue if you go to traffic school. I am not sure about the ramifications if you fight a ticket in court and the ability to attend school. Anybody know this?
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy View Post
    Insurance should be a non-issue if you go to traffic school. I am not sure about the ramifications if you fight a ticket in court and the ability to attend school. Anybody know this?
    If you go to court, you waive your automatic right to traffic school. It becomes up to the judges discretion at that point

And even if you do traffic school, it most definitely can affect your insurance rates depending on your carrier. It still shows up on your driving record, just not as a formal point. There's definitely still record of the citation on there and that you attended traffic school. Check with your individual insurance carrier to be sure how they handle it.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    it is up to the judge it's true. there is a ruling that says the judge should use the same judgement as if the person has not gone to trial, so in theory you should be eligible even after you go to trial and lose however in practice the judge may deny it and few people would bother go to appeal just to get traffic school.

About insurance, as long as you attend traffic school only once in 18 months the point is hidden from them so rates should not increase, to my knowledge. even the los angeles court website says that you should attend traffic school to avoide insurance increase.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Be aware of the California Good Driver Discount that insurance companies must provide: Do You Qualify for California?s Mandatory Good Driver Discount? | InsuranceLoco.com

A routine ticket every 3 years will not affect your insurance. (You may not be eligible if you haven't had your CA license long enough). Not Guilty is the only way to avoid the fine. Otherwise it's the same $$ whether you go to traffic school or just pay up. My insurance agent advised me to just pay a ticket and "save" traffic school for any future ticket that happened in the next 3 years.

If you go before a Traffic Commissioner or Judge, you will only win if you have an exceptional case, you're a trial lawyer, or the cop fails to show up. Police who work traffic are experienced and professional at making their case...and if you lose, you cannot appeal. A written declaration gives you time to carefully edit your statement in a no-pressure environment. In most cities, police are paid overtime to appear in court but responding to a written declaration is regular pay so they're less likely to do it. Last thing, if you lose there is an appeal process. Hope this helps...and I'm not a legal expert so do your own research.