mtbr member

Parking for Holy Jim trailhead?

Is the dirt road (Trabuco Creek) to the Holy Jim parking area passable to compacts and sedans or is this strictly 4x/truck territory?

Thanks in advance,
    CSD

skin tight lycra
    I would not recommend sedans out there. The road is pretty chewed up that and youll look funny next to the huge poser 2 foot lifted trucks.

Park at the beginning and ride in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The ride in is about 4.5 miles, but for the most part it's pretty flat. I'm sure sedans have driven on it and you may pass a few (we saw a really nice mercedes driving on it one Saturday!), but I wouldn't take my RSX out there at all.

Not sure as I haven't been over there in a few months, but we went after a storm and some of the bridges had water flowing. That could all be gone by now. They were all passable by bike (just a bit slippery).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have been driving down that dirt road for years but never taken a bike back there. When you get to the end past the Fire Station where people stop and park whats the trail section like for bikes?

I would agree with the above the road is pretty gnarly, I have seen civics do it so you could drive anything you want down it but be prepared for some rock action. Some sections are starting to get really really bad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    At the parking lot if you turn left you ride up some more fire road past houses for a short while until you reach the Holy Jim trailhead. There are creek crossings for a bit (some not so easy, for me anyway), and then it's mostly like San Juan, only more difficult. Switchbacks are easier to make, and it's only about 5 miles total from the parking lot to Main Divide, but it seems steeper. Trail is in really good condition, though. We've been riding it quite a bit.

If you continue straight from the parking lot you end up at the Trabuco trailhead, and it is beyond me why anyone would climb that! It's a great descent, however.

We have a decent loop (22 miles, around 5000ft climbing) where we park near Blue Jay, up off 74, on Main Divide, climb about 1.5 miles to the top of Trabuco, descend Trabuco, take the road to Holy Jim, climb Holy Jim, and climb Main Divide back to the Trabuco trailhead, then descend the fire road back to the car.

Main Divide is a horrid, horrid thing no matter which way you go The climbing never ends!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    Main Divide is a horrid, horrid thing no matter which way you go The climbing never ends!
    Now that is an awesome endorsement!
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

banned
    Apr 2004

I drove my 2000 accord up there last year

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    Is the dirt road (Trabuco Creek) to the Holy Jim parking area passable to compacts and sedans or is this strictly 4x/truck territory?

Thanks in advance,
    CSD
    and my 87 sentra the years before that.
    BUT i hear it's in real bad shape now.

mtbr member
    I'll play it safe and ride the extra miles. Hopefully the weather and flies won't suck too bad. Many thanks to everyone who posted.