Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009

Cleveland National Forest Dispatch

This is a sensitive issue for me as well. A couple of years back when Iron Mountain was a technical trail. We were climbing up on a weekday around 3pm i believe and somewhere up in the middle of the trail. There was a couple who were hiking with their unleashed dog. As i make a pass, the dog, lunges at me and bites me on my right calf. The owners were apologetic and stated that this has not happened before and the dog has not done anything like this in the past. I made some key error and bad judgement altogether. 1. I should've reported it2. I took their word about the dogs being safe and has the appropriate shots.3. I did not take their information.I won't make those mistakes again. So, fast forward to present time.There seems to be a resurgence in number of hiker/owner with unleashed dogs in the Cleveland National Forest and to be more specific, the Recreational Area in Mount Laguna (BLT).Normally, i wouldn't mind. But lately they are in packs of 5-10 dogs unleashed! And now to find out that there is a Meet Up group advocating Off leashed hiking in areas where it isn't allowed. So, today i spoke with our neighbor and his daughter works for the Cleveland National Forest. She gave me a number and i am passing it to everyone who might be interested.From what she told me, the rangers will go out there and give these people tickets. Also, you can keep this number in case of emergency. (619)557-5262

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott forty G. View Post
    This is a sensitive issue for me as well. A couple of years back when Iron Mountain was a technical trail. We were climbing up on a weekday around 3pm i believe and somewhere up in the middle of the trail. There was a couple who were hiking with their unleashed dog. As i make a pass, the dog, lunges at me and bites me on my right calf. The owners were apologetic and stated that this has not happened before and the dog has not done anything like this in the past. I made some key error and bad judgement altogether. 1. I should've reported it2. I took their word about the dogs being safe and has the appropriate shots.3. I did not take their information.I won't make those mistakes again. So, fast forward to present time.There seems to be a resurgence in number of hiker/owner with unleashed dogs in the Cleveland National Forest and to be more specific, the Recreational Area in Mount Laguna (BLT).Normally, i wouldn't mind. But lately they are in packs of 5-10 dogs unleashed! And now to find out that there is a Meet Up group advocating Off leashed hiking in areas where it isn't allowed. So, today i spoke with our neighbor and his daughter works for the Cleveland National Forest. She gave me a number and i am passing it to everyone who might be interested.From what she told me, the rangers will go out there and give these people tickets. Also, you can keep this number in case of emergency. (619)557-5262
    Good deal, Scotty. Anything that keeps my knife in its' sheath is a good thing both for me, the other folks, and mostly, their dogs.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott forty G. View Post
    Man I hear ya. You would never get bitten by my dogs, not just because they are not aggressive towards bikes or people, but Because they are always on leash unless they are in my house or yard. Thanks for the number. Adding it to my phone right now. Is it just for the Cleveland National Forrest, or can we use it to report off leash dogs anywhere in San Diego County and get someone out to issue citations?
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7