Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinDirt View Post
    And that was exactly my point in that thread. But apparently this Sandmangst character has an issue with every opinion I have in every thread I have posted in. He has been tailgating me or shall I say stalking me around these forums for months now. Some strange and scary behavior for sure.
    Uh, no actually I just used the search function, it took about 3 minutes. You see I like to get an idea about a person before making any judgments that way when I come to a conclusion about a persons charactor it is based in fact. I have absolutely no problem with your opinions, it is your presentation of those opinions that is offensive to me and several others. Perhaps if you refrained from calling people pussies, uptight whiners with sticks in their asses, liars and babies people would listen to your opinions and value them but it is hard to see past the insults.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    Uh, no actually I just used the search function, it took about 3 minutes. You see I like to get an idea about a person before making any judgments that way when I come to a conclusion about a persons charactor it is based in fact. I have absolutely no problem with your opinions, it is your presentation of those opinions that is offensive to me and several others. Perhaps if you refrained from calling people pussies, uptight whiners with sticks in their asses, liars and babies people would listen to your opinions and value them but it is hard to see past the insults.
    Well IMO that search function should be turned off for members with a stalking background. Just stop tailgating me around these forums and we should be fine.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Well IMO that search function should be turned off for members with a stalking background. Just stop tailgating me around these forums and we should be fine.
    You see? You managed to express your opinion without being insulting in the least. Congratulations. You have the option of making your account private. I am not sure if you know this but when you post things on the internet sometimes people read them. Anyway I am done with you. Welcome to my ignore list.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Anybody else see through this B.S.?
    I have been attacked by off leash dogs 3 times in San Diego. Once in PQ I was bitten on the knee. A month ago 2 dogs attacked my dog and he fought back and damn near killed one of them (he was on a leash). The last time a really large dog bit my hand and my handlebar making me fall. I got sick of it so I decided to write an email to the senior Park Ranger. Here is the email I wrote:

Hello David, I am emailing you in the hopes that something will be done about the off leash dog problem at Lake Hodges. Over a month ago my 4 year old son and I were walking our 94 pound lab just south of the parking lot when he was approached by 2 smaller dogs that were not leashed. They attacked him and he fought back. My son was knocked down and I was pulled down as well. I was forced to let my dog go so he could defend himself. He severely injured one of the other dogs. The other dog owner was quite distraught but to his credit he has not attempted to sue me, most likely because he was breaking the law. Since this incident I have become more aware of the problem with off leash dogs. I also mountain bike and 2 weeks ago I decided to count how many dogs I encountered. From Sunset drive to the dam and back I counted 36 dogs of which only 7 were on leashes. Thats 29 off leash dogs. I normally would not care enough to complain but on that ride I myself was jumped by an off leash dog causing me to fall off my bike. Luckily I only got a few scrapes but I have had enough.
    I realize that the parks service is stretched rather thin but I hope that at some point there will be some enforcement of the laws. It seems the majority of dog owners in the Escondido area either can't read the clearly posted signs or they just don't care. I am leaning towards the latter. The only way to make them care is by hitting them where it hurts, their wallets. I am not sure what the fine is for off leash dogs but I think it is $250 for a first offense. Thats $7250 bucks for one Saturday morning. I hope that something can be done before the problem causes someone to get hurt. Thanks.

And here is the response I got:

Thank you for your concern in this matter. Sorry to hear about your incident.

Dog off leash is the number one problem we have in our park. Unfortunately the San Dieguito River Park Rangers can not site for DOL and are forced to call animal control when things start getting out of control. It appears that we are at that point again. I will try and set up a good time for them to come out and cite, hopefully that will curtail the problem for awhile. We always inform visitors of the need for their dogs to be leashed but like you said sometimes it doesn't sink in till it hits their wallets.

First off I have to say, if rangers can't cite people for breaking the law within the park boundaries then what good are they? I realize they are bound by the law and the constraints of their jobs.

I encourage those of you who have had problems with aggressive off leash dogs to be sure and email the park rangers and/or animal control. I am sure there are literally thousands of incidents that go unreported.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No, just yours. I have had numerous dogs lurch at me while riding past.

Now please drop the B.S. yourself, and give it a rest.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    No, just yours. I have had numerous dogs lurch at me while riding past.

Now please drop the B.S. yourself, and give it a rest.
    Oliver is that you? No way don't you remember we used to ride P.Q. together.You never mentioned back then having had any dogs lurch at you much less "numerous ". What are you going to jump on the B.S. wagon with Mangst.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Oliver is that you? No way don't you remember we used to ride P.Q. together.You never mentioned back then having had any dogs lurch at you much less "numerous ". What are you going to jump on the B.S. wagon with Mangst.
    Sorry buddy, not sure who you are. Nice try to dis-credit me. Move on please!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    13 today with only 2 off leash between sunset and the dam and back between 7:30 and 9:45. Thats about average. Then I rode the south side and saw 6 more all leashed. Looks like animal control did their job. There is one old guy out there that walks most mornings with 7 or 8 border collies. Didn't see him but his dogs are always under perfect control. Very well trained.
    Last edited by sandmangts; 05-19-2012 at 08:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Well Thursday, I hiked the floor of PQ with the County Ranger for some trails assessment and we passed/encountered 6 dogs, two of them off leash and one on about 20' of leash. A nice smiling, ranger with a ticket book in hand (never mentioned ticket) and they were all on 6' as we parted.

Some particular trails are in very nice condition, btw.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil View Post
    Well Thursday, I hiked the floor of PQ with the County Ranger for some trails assessment and we passed/encountered 6 dogs, two of them off leash and one on about 20' of leash. A nice smiling, ranger with a ticket book in hand (never mentioned ticket) and they were all on 6' as we parted.

PQ is where my dog got bit by a rattler. Yes she was off leash and yes paying over $1000 bucks for the vet taught me a lesson. And that was 10 years ago. I don't imagine the cost has gone down. The tissue damage she had was massive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    13 today with only 2 off leash between sunset and the dam and back between 7:30 and 9:45. Thats about average. Then I rode the south side and saw 6 more all leashed. Looks like animal control did their job. There is one old guy out there that walks most mornings with 7 or 8 border collies. Didn't see him but his dogs are always under perfect control. Very well trained.
    No just the way it's always been. BTW thanks for not exagerating and B.S.ing us this time. Congradulations! Looks like you learned your lesson.

mtbr member
    Too bad open carry laws are gone(and forget concealed carry, move to a free state if you want that right). It would probably pretty easy to justify a charging dog of a certain size.

Front Range, Colorado
    Nice thread, I never realised this was such an issue. I personally have no problem with off leash dogs. Out of the hundreds seen over the years I have never had an issue.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 05-20-2012 at 10:54 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Beer Please!
    All I can gather from the mud slinging that went on in this thread is that you, Spindirt, whoever you are, are not very smart. You are obviously against leash laws, ok fine, but don't get into a stupid argument as to how many dogs one person did or did not see, unless you were there with him you have no right to attack his counting skills.

DOL is a problem, dogs need to be on leashes, end of story.

Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm torn on this. Although I haven't been bitten or attacked by any dogs, a dog in attack mode is no joke. That being said, part of what I love about riding is seeing people walking their dog and the dogs are totally free to roam and run. I don't even own a dog right now, but I'm happy to see a happy dog.

We have to keep in mind that a lot of people don't have huge backyards to let their dogs run around. So the trails or dog park are the only places. Also, hiking with their dog is as much a stress relief as it is for us riding our bikes.

No easy answer on this one, imo.

PS: I've come closer to injury or simply been annoyed by no-etiquette-having MTBers on trails than any dogs. But that's just me.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by WLAmtb View Post
    We have to keep in mind that a lot of people don't have huge backyards to let their dogs run around. So the trails or dog park are the only places. Also, hiking with their dog is as much a stress relief as it is for us riding our bikes.

You kinda answered your own question right there... If you don't have a big yard to let your dog run, take it to the dog park.

mtbr member
    Indeed they are.

Quote Originally Posted by EBasil View Post

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    All I can gather from the mud slinging that went on in this thread is that you, Spindirt, whoever you are, are not very smart. You are obviously against leash laws, ok fine, but don't get into a stupid argument as to how many dogs one person did or did not see, unless you were there with him you have no right to attack his counting skills.

DOL is a problem, dogs need to be on leashes, end of story.

SpinDirt has every right to his opinion. My problem was with the way it was presented. That being said it was my fault for engaging him in the first place. I have been posting here for a long time and I should have known better.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I'm torn on this. Although I haven't been bitten or attacked by any dogs, a dog in attack mode is no joke. That being said, part of what I love about riding is seeing people walking their dog and the dogs are totally free to roam and run. I don't even own a dog right now, but I'm happy to see a happy dog.

PS: I've come closer to injury or simply been annoyed by no-etiquette-having MTBers on trails than any dogs. But that's just me.
    Just to clarify, in retrospect, the big dog that bit at my hand and made me fall was not in "full attack mode". I think he was in full silly dog play mode. He jumped and nipped at my hand pushing my handlebar so I fell. Not a big deal really but at the time I did not know if he was playing or not and he did make me bleed a bit. I have no doubt if he really wanted to hurt me he could have easily done so.

I am a dog lover too. I love to let my dog run in open areas and I would be the first person letting him do so if the leash laws were repealed but I have to assume that there is some degree of logic behind the leash laws as they are written.

I have to agree with you though, I have been injured far more often and much more seriously by other bikers making mistakes or just being stupid.

Beer Please!
    SpinDirt has every right to his opinion. My problem was with the way it was presented. That being said it was my fault for engaging him in the first place. I have been posting here for a long time and I should have known better.
    Yeah, sometimes it is just hard to resist feeding the trolls. Though I did like how you called him out by searching his other posts on the forums, Classic.

Front Range, Colorado

I 100% agree with you on these thoughts.^^^^^
    I have never had a problem with the hundreds of dogs I have seen on the trails over many years of riding. If a dog owner chooses to have him off leash 99% of the time the dog is well behaved and mellow. The problem ls like with everything in life there always one or two bad apples that ruin it for the rest. I think the O.P. went a little overboard by contacting the rangers and launching an all out sting.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    I 100% agree with you on these thoughts.^^^^^
    I have never had a problem with the hundreds of dogs I have seen on the trails over many years of riding. If a dog owner chooses to have him off leash 99% of the time the dog is well behaved and mellow. The problem ls like with everything in life there always one or two bad apples that ruin it for the rest. I think the O.P. went a little overboard by contacting the rangers and launching an all out sting.
    And the fact that the very few facts he presented were exaggerated to the hilt. And then he threw in some more B.S. for good measure.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Unfortunately there is no easy solution for this but to try and get the information from the owner of the dog and contact animal control. If they allowed Rangers to cite, all they would be doing is regulating the dummies who can't follow the leash rules.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well here you go:

San Diego Mountain Biking Association • View topic - Tales of Woe (from the trail)

Or would SpinDirt say he bit himslef and blamed a dog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Sailor View Post
    You can perform a citizens arrest if you are attacked by someone else's dog, or if you see an owner negligently or intentionally allow their dog to attack someone. If you do this the police must come and take custody of the suspect, they will usually cite and release for the misdemeanor.

San Diego County Code

Sec. 62.669.1. PUBLIC PROTECTION FROM DOGS.

(a) Any person owning or having custody or control of a dog shall at all times prevent the dog from attacking, biting, or otherwise causing injury to any person engaged in a lawful act; from interfering with the lawful use of public or private property; or from damaging personal property which is lawfully upon public property, or upon private property with the permission of the person who owns or has the right to possess or use the private property. Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.

California Penal Code 837
    A private person may arrest another:

1. For a public offense (usually understood to mean a misdemeanor) committed or attempted in his presence.

2. When the person arrested has committed a felony, although not in his presence.

3. When a felony has been in fact committed, and he has reasonable cause for believing the person arrested to have committed it.
    Personally, I would never attempt a citizens arrest for a misdemeanor regardless of what your local law says. There is a lot of liability there. Also, I was under the impression that, in most places, a citizens arrest could only be performed if the person being arrested committed a felony or you have reasonable suspicion that they have committed a felony. I may be wrong though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast