Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 153
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    79
    Only time i had a dog charge me was when i was stream fishing and headed back to my truck.Out there i always opened carried a .45 2 dogs came running owner not really doing much i got my wife to jump in bed of truck i dropped the poles and got my gun out as they were running hard .This got the owners attention real fast he somehow got dogs to stop but he didnt seem to do much as the dogs left from him and ran towards us barking and growling???.

    Funny how he quickly responded and then tell us how his dogs NEVER done that before.I told him 6 ft leash law and his dogs were about 10 ft from death.I use to have a rot that when out in public it always had a leash where it was required had an unleashed dog try to jump at mine too you guessed it owner of course tried to blame me but response was they need to have a leash if you have a problem why my dog defended himself call animal control i will wait here too.

  2. #27
    Master of the Face Plant
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,862
    I used to let my dog off leash in PQ about 12 years ago thinking it was harmless because she was a small dog. She was bitten by a large rattler and it almost killed her. It cost me over $1000 dollars to have her treated. I think taking some photos of rattle snake bites to dogs and blowing them up and putting them next to the leash law signs might help.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Timmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    464
    Hey Aaron,

    I used to help with the Voluteer patrol in PQ. Granted this was 7+ years ago but we were under instructions to request the offending people to leash their dog and if they didn't we were to radio the ranger who would ticket. Not certain if the difference is because PQ is within the SD city limits proper.

    People can be real jerks. I could tell you stories about one fat arse and his three cairn teriers...

  4. #29
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    I could tell you stories about one fat arse and his three cairn teriers...
    Please do!

    I actually get quite entertained reading stories like this.

  5. #30
    Beer Please!
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,222
    I guess I best call up animal control.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Timmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    464
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    Please do!

    I actually get quite entertained reading stories like this.
    Nah... It's not that interesting. The guy obviously had more issues than just his dogs and who am I to comment on other peoples personal problems.

  7. #32
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,680
    I live in a National Forest and loose dogs are the norm in the neighborhoods. My dogs are always on a leash when in public, and they're large (140lbs) so they don't get bothered. Even the coyotes run the other way. My brother who lives on the next street over has small dogs who get rushed by off leash dogs when he's down at the lake walking them. He stopped my the feed store and picked up a cattle prod and solved his problem.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    72
    Dogs don't hurt people, people hurt people.

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by leadmoto View Post
    Dogs don't hurt people, people hurt people.
    Okay!?!

  10. #35
    Beer Please!
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,222
    I recently heard a story of a local woman who carries mace and sprays any off leash dog that comes near her. I feel kinda bad for the dogs cause it is the owners who should be getting sprayed in the face.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watkinscapital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    129
    A story of those not in control of their animals ruining it for the rest of us. It is the people not the animal.

    I had a lady attempt to spray my dog while he was on a leash and we were simply walking by. Yep he's like my son and yes I went ape ****.

  12. #37
    Master of the Face Plant
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,862
    Looks like animal control was out at Lake Hodges on Sunday of last week handing out citations and warnings. This past Saturday I rode there and saw a total of three dogs all of which were leashed. Notices were also left on vehicles over the last 2 weekends notifying people of enforcement of fines. Apparently there were several other complaints.

    It just goes to prove that if you see something that is wrong SPEAK UP! Be polite and respectful but don't just let it slide. Sometimes people will listen and do something about it.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

  13. #38
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by watkinscapital View Post
    I had a lady attempt to spray my dog while he was on a leash and we were simply walking by. Yep he's like my son and yes I went ape ****.
    Wow, why the heck did she do that? I'm glad you went ape s*** on her. I would have to.

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    Looks like animal control was out at Lake Hodges on Sunday of last week handing out citations and warnings. This past Saturday I rode there and saw a total of three dogs all of which were leashed. Notices were also left on vehicles over the last 2 weekends notifying people of enforcement of fines. Apparently there were several other complaints.

    It just goes to prove that if you see something that is wrong SPEAK UP! Be polite and respectful but don't just let it slide. Sometimes people will listen and do something about it.
    Good to hear!

    I was there about a week ago, and there was a lady that looked like a 100 lbs walking a 120 lbs Rottweiler off leash close to Hernandez Hideaway. She quickly ran to her dog, and grabbed it by the collar. There was no way she could have held that dog back if something was to go wrong.

  15. #40
    Beer Please!
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,222
    Quote Originally Posted by watkinscapital View Post
    A story of those not in control of their animals ruining it for the rest of us. It is the people not the animal.

    I had a lady attempt to spray my dog while he was on a leash and we were simply walking by. Yep he's like my son and yes I went ape ****.

    Wow, that is terrible. No one should ever assault a dog on a leash.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,157
    Riding the connector trail between Laguna campground and Horse Heaven campground, I was almost attacked by two Presta Canario dogs owned by a family that was walking them, one off-leash, one on. Each dog weighed a minimum of 175 lb.s The guy lunged for the off-leash dog, and got it just as it began to lunge at me, the woman dug her heels into the ground, and the dog she had on leash was dragging her, slowly, like a water skier, towards me. Horse Heaven was closed on that day, but there were LOTS of people in the Big Laguna campground, where they were headed.
    I had a tanto blade K-bar length knife, from CRKT, razor sharp, in a kytel sheath on my waist belt, and I drew it very rapidly in a defensive draw, but they had flanked me, so that one dog could attack me from behind. It almost seemed deliberate. What was also interesting to me was that their child, who looked to be about 9 or 10, simply stood still, watching, with what looked like an expression of mild amusement/ anticipation on her face. Kinda like the look that Christina Ricci would affect as the Adam's family girl.
    With my knife, I have no doubt that I could have easily killed the one dog, but the other would get me from behind, and who knows, but I would have been seriously hurt, no doubt.

    I asked them which dog was named Lawsuit, and which dog was named Liability. They were profusely apologetic, but unlike all of the other dog-owner accounts given here, they made no pretense about not knowing how dangerous their dogs were. Woulda sounded pretty ridiculous if they did. Instead the told me they had no idea that I was coming towards them from around the bend, which is entirely plausible.

    I told them that they were headed to a place that had LOTS of kids, pets, and people in general, and asked them if they really wanted to take those animals into the middle of all that. It made me wonder what those folks were so afraid of, to have two dogs with so much violent potential.

    Anyway, they were kind enough to let me pass, but I did so without sheathing my knife. They seemed pretty weird to me, and I'm fairly tolerant with weird. I looked back frequently, and when I got up to the paved campground road, I saw that they had reconsidered their plan, and had turned around.

    So, that one turned into a win-win-win, I guess. I didn't get bit, they didn't lose a dog, and those picnickers didn't get terrorized.

    They were, all things considered, an order of magnitude more serious than the other dog encounters depicted in this thread. People really need to think about their responsibility for their animals, especially in public, whether they're dogs, cats, or horses.

    Oh yeah, and birds! Man, can one of them Macaws BITE!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

  17. #42
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    Oh yeah, and birds! Man, can one of them Macaws BITE!
    Yeah, no kidding.

    Geese are pretty aggressive little f***ers as well. They won't hesitate to attack a human if they're pissed off enough.

    It's always good to carry a blade. I carry an Emerson CQC-15 sometimes on my rides.

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EBasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,062
    Presa Canarias in the Lagunas. Greeaaaaat

    DOL is totally the most common "violation" that volunteer trail patrol folks, or just plain rider/hiker/runners, encounter and for some of us, one of the worst parts of being a volunteer because people get so freaky when you ask them to leash up. They live "near the park, so what's the harm?"

    The deal at Lake Hodges is unique, because of the weird, joint powers funding up there that results in "lake rangers" who are neither City nor County rangers. So, as demonstrated above, the very best thing to do with Dogs Off Leash is to contact them and politely so: local land managers will do something about it, if you bother to inform.

    In Los Penasquitos and every other City and County trail system, the Ranger DO HAVE the power to cite, not only for you being an equestrian on a human-powered-only trail but also for DOL and other such stuff. Okay, the Ranger with the fortitude and integrity to cite an equestrian for anything may be a rare one, but they're pretty unanimous on the dog thing.

    The thing in places like Los Penasquitos is that it's not uncommon for folks with little dogs, even ON leash, to have them simply snatched right off the trail by coyotes that really aren't that much larger. On the other end of things, the trail runner that was treed by the two bigass, brindled Pits would probably have loved it for a pack of coyotes to stroll on by! --If you encounter folks either with dogs off leash or on super-long leashes, take a moment to call it in or send a friendly email to the Rangers at whatever park it is.

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    20
    so if I'm walking my dogs off leash at LPQ on the hiker/horse only trail and get run into by bikers should we just call it a wash?

  20. #45
    Master of the Face Plant
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,862
    Quote Originally Posted by leanneinob View Post
    so if I'm walking my dogs off leash at LPQ on the hiker/horse only trail and get run into by bikers should we just call it a wash?
    Do you walk your dog off leash in areas where you know it is illegal?
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by leanneinob View Post
    so if I'm walking my dogs off leash at LPQ on the hiker/horse only trail and get run into by bikers should we just call it a wash?
    No, both would be at fault, and should be dealt with swiftly!

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    476
    Here is my opinion being a regular weekly rider at Lake Hodges. The O.P. is full of crap there is no way he saw 36 dogs with 29 being off leash. You would be hard pressed to see 36 dogs on any given weekend day in a 12 hour span. Much less 36 dogs in a 1-2 hour span of riding this trail system. Even if there was this many which there wasn't there is no way 29 were off leash. I have been riding these trails 4 times a week which includes both weekend days for several years. In any given two hour span of riding a weekend day you "may" see 5 dogs. I don't believe any of these attack scenarios he shelled out either. He is full of B.S. and sounds like one of the numerous blue haired hikers that frequent these trails. "Oh Margaret that guy has his dog off leash" "Oh shame on him! Harold he ruined our day" lets cut our day short and go home and eat some oatmeal.

  23. #48
    Master of the Face Plant
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,862
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinDirt View Post
    Here is my opinion being a regular weekly rider at Lake Hodges. The O.P. is full of crap there is no way he saw 36 dogs with 29 being off leash. You would be hard pressed to see 36 dogs on any given weekend day in a 12 hour span. Much less 36 dogs in a 1-2 hour span of riding this trail system. Even if there was this many which there wasn't there is no way 29 were off leash. I have been riding these trails 4 times a week which includes both weekend days for several years. In any given two hour span of riding a weekend day you "may" see 5 dogs. I don't believe any of these attack scenarios he shelled out either. He is full of B.S. and sounds like one of the numerous blue haired hikers that frequent these trails. "Oh Margaret that guy has his dog off leash" "Oh shame on him! Harold he ruined our day" lets cut our day short and go home and eat some oatmeal.
    Sorry to bust your bubble there bub but every word I wrote is 100% true. I'll admit on most days seeing more that 10-15 dogs is a rarity but on the day in question thats how many I counted. I emailed the ranger because I was amazed at how many I had seen that day. I never meant to imply that this was an average day. Since you are a regular rider there I am sure you have seen me a time or two. I am hard to miss, I am the guy on the 1936 Mercury or the 1941 Schwinn DX or the Ellsworth Epiphany and I drive a blue Tacoma with a camper shell. Anytime you feel like having calling me a liar please feel free to do so in person. Not sure what time you ride but I have seen 10 dogs some days before leaving the parking lot.
    Last edited by sandmangts; 05-13-2012 at 10:32 AM.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    Sorry to bust your bubble there bub but every word I wrote is 100% true. I'll admit on most days seeing more that 10-15 dogs is a rarity but on the day in question thats how many I counted. I emailed the ranger because I was amazed at how many I had seen that day. I never meant to imply that this was an average day. Since you are a regular rider there I am sure you have seen me a time or two. I am hard to miss, I am the guy on the 1936 Mercury or the 1941 Schwinn DX or the Ellsworth Epiphany and I drive a blue Tacoma with a camper shell. Anytime you feel like calling me a liar please feel free to do so in person. Not sure what time you ride but I have seen 10 dogs some days before leaving the parking lot.
    Nope sorry your story doesn't hold water. Lake Hodges sometimes holds water but your story, not. There is no way there was that many dogs out there. Were you out there counting for three weeks as far as seeing your ugly blue truck I have for sure seen. See you tomorrow 3 and 5pm with BIG dog off leash.

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DannyHuynh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    405
    Oooooooooooo!!!!!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •