mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Palm springs riding....

Be heading to Palm Springs for 5 days next thursday and wondering what trails out there to ride? I know it's hot as %$#@ out there but will be at crack of dawn when I mount up on my steed. Any help would be awesome Thanks
    JUST DO IT

mtbr member
    I posted up some info here a couple weeks ago, give it a read Palm Desert Riding

You can find some maps on mountainbikebill.com under Socal - San Jacinto Mtns and Palm Springs.

It will still be hot but more bearable (and a cool drive) if you can make it up the hill to Idyllwild/Hurkey Creek for a ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Call Brenden or Mary at the Hub in Idyllwild for info on shop rides. I agree with evdog, the drive from PS to Idyllwild is great but if you keep going on Hwy 74 it will take you all the way to the beach.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I wouldn't ride the desert unless you plan on a short ride. It's dangerous past 8 a.m. I rode most of the Hurkey Creek trails this morning and it was even a bit toasty. 75 degrees at 8:15 start and 90 degrees at 10:15 end. Going all the way up to Idyllwild will drop a few degrees. All are good trails. I'll probably ride out of my house this weekend located at the Strawberry Creek crossing next to the Idyllwild School of Music and Arts.

Two Wheeled Terror
    Sunup is about 0530....be on your bike then. That's what I do in 29 palms

Hand typed and Telegraphed

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Palm Desert Cross and neighboring Bump n; Grind, is where it's at:

Cross = 6.36miles
    Bump = 4.12miles

Goat Trails, in Palm Springs is cool too....but NOT in 90F heat. The initial Dunn Road climb is 22% steep....the rest of the 9.23mile trail is sweet.

PM me for more details....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hi,

We also want to ride in Palm Springs this autumn. I like that Palm Canyon Epic Trail.
    Descriptions say this is a point-to-point ride. I'm wondering if there is a shuttle service in town that brings you to the start point?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor23 View Post
    Hi,

We also want to ride in Palm Springs this autumn. I like that Palm Canyon Epic Trail.
    Descriptions say this is a point-to-point ride. I'm wondering if there is a shuttle service in town that brings you to the start point?
    That would be so nice. Truth is, 99% of locals would never attempt this trail, so we one-percenters have to handle all the shuttle duties. PM me when in town - we'll be your guides...

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Skeletor- You could also probably find somebody on socaltrailriders.org to help you shuttle--or call the Hub Cyclery to try and find a shuttle buddy. It's a great ride!

Edit- Sorry: BAD IDEA! BAD ADVICE! I misread your post. This is the wrong time of the year for the Epic--dropping into 100+ heat, especially with sand/climbing at the end, makes this potentially deadly.

But riding up in Idyllwild is a good option this time of the year! Good luck.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 07-08-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    That would be so nice. Truth is, 99% of locals would never attempt this trail, so we one-percenters have to handle all the shuttle duties. PM me when in town - we'll be your guides...
    Awesome, I will contact you some days before we arrive... can't wait to do that ride

But why do most locals don't like that trail?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Skeletor- You could also probably find somebody on socaltrailriders.org to help you shuttle--or call the Hub Cyclery to try and find a shuttle buddy. It's a great ride!
    ok, Thanks .

"Awesome, I will contact you some days before we arrive... can't wait to do that ride

But why do most locals don't like that trail? "

Try shooting for late Oct or even early Nov. We stay HOT here, until then. Sept is still scorching hot. I don't recommend doing this ride when it's over 100F outside - we already lost a rider here, last year.

Many riders here simply don't have the endurance to go over 20-miles, here in the desert...and many are roadies.