ol'guy who says hi &waves

Palm Springs Ride Leader or Suggestions?

I and, maybe one other, will be in Palm Springs area Sat. Dec. 17 from NorCal. We'll have 4-5 flexible hrs. to ride. From the Trail Reviews and MTBBill, the Goat Trail looks very promising. The trip home requires me and my copilot to be intact at the completion of ride. Translation: No rides requiring armour. Any takers or suggestions? Thanks, Fred
    Last edited by fred-da-trog; 12-10-2005 at 11:33 AM.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Just another Homer

No can do

I'm scheduled for trail maintenance that day. Just a reminder or hint though. If you do the Goat Trails make sure to runs Stans or Slime. Lot's of stickers and cactus out there.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

mtbr member
    May 2004

I 2nd the Goat Trails - XPost from Idaho

Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog
    I and, maybe one other, will be in Palm Springs area Sat. Dec. 17 from NorCal. We'll have 4-5 flexible hrs. to ride. From the Trail Reviews and MTBBill, the Goat Trail looks very promising. The trip home requires me and my copilot to be intact at the completion of ride. Translation: No rides requiring armour. Any takers or suggestions? Thanks, Fred
    They start (or end if you start from top of the mountain hwy 73 I think)
    Cathedral City, across from a car lot. I definitely agree on the slime tubes
    lots of good ups and downs and as I recall, some technical sections and chutes

I would call LBS or investigate further.
    These are fun trails but some are closed in the area at certain times to allow local wildlife (goats, sheep) time to recover, etc.

mtbr member
    I have been up there a couple of times, the trails go all over the place. I would call the bike shop in Palm Springs and see if they have some maps so you can run a nice loop or out and back. I have only started from one place and that the Vons Parking lot at highway 111 and Gene Autrey Drive. The trail starts on the left side going up past a gate. The bike shop in Palm Springs is maybe five miles further west.

mtbr member

Mr. da-Trog

Try this. Bill has some great info on his site.

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/PalmCanyon.htm
    http://www.mountainbikebill.com/Palm...nFlatsLoop.htm
    http://www.mountainbikebill.com/Palm...GoatTrails.htm

EDIT OK, ok. DUH! I read it but didn't get it. If you don't have to big of a group and a shuttle vehicle I may be interested.
    Last edited by noslogan; 12-11-2005 at 12:22 PM. Reason: duh

mtbr member

my ride up there yesterday= 12/10

this was my experience there yesterday, we had a huge turnout and a very wild ride.

Mike, you were right about the flats situation even though i only suffered only one flat during the ride, some guys had more than 5 flats.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...pic.php?t=825&

pewpewpew Moderator
    wish i coudl join you fred but that wont work out - i will be in socal but tied up that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    wish i coudl join you fred but that wont work out - i will be in socal but tied up that day.
    Too bad. Would have been nice to visit and ride with you.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Too bad. Would have been nice to visit and ride with you.
    If you pass through LA itself, look me up and I'll take you on a local. I live near the 10/405 junction.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you pass through LA itself, look me up and I'll take you on a local. I live near the 10/405 junction.
    I posted a TR that included the Goat Trails a few weeks back.
    http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_t...ip_report.html

Rich Owings
    www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com
    www.GPStracklog.com

“We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books.” – Edward Abbey

Feeling a little taller
    ...we didn't really want to know that depth of detail of your and Al's private life...
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Well, I think everything in life is relative. You'll probably be intact at the completion of the ride, but body armour is still probably a good idea.

(Was on the ride with Epic Mtn Biker)

Good equipment choices for the long rides of the area:

* An absolutely dependable lightweight FS XC or FS trailbike.
    * Good loose-over-hard tires, factor-in climbing grip and flotation in sand.
    * Stan's NoTubes or Slime tubes.
    * At least 130 ounces of water. Lots of electrolytes.
    * Some sort of shin protection from vegetation. No, the trails were not horribly overgrown. But of what plants there were, they were vicious.
    * A GPS might be a good idea, considering the high potential cost of getting lost.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great suggestions, thanks . Either Dan'ger or I (or both) will probably be sporting the "old" mtbr jerseys. Be sure to wave to us on the trails.

Feeling a little taller

Great suggestions, thanks . Either Dan'ger or I (or both) will probably be sporting the "old" mtbr jerseys. Be sure to wave to us on the trails.

Hmmm. I've got everything on that list but a FS bike. Looks like I'll be taking the Goldrush again.

I ran Weirwolf 2.5s for Tahoe's loose-dirt-over-granite conditions. Is it at all similar to the Goat Trail or should I consider my set of Velociraptors?

I'll bring the GPS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DtEW
    Well, I think everything in life is relative. You'll probably be intact at the completion of the ride, but body armour is still probably a good idea.

(Was on the ride with Epic Mtn Biker)

Good equipment choices for the long rides of the area:

* An absolutely dependable lightweight FS XC or FS trailbike.
    * Good loose-over-hard tires, factor-in climbing grip and flotation in sand.
    * Stan's NoTubes or Slime tubes.
    * At least 130 ounces of water. Lots of electrolytes.
    * Some sort of shin protection from vegetation. No, the trails were not horribly overgrown. But of what plants there were, they were vicious.
    * A GPS might be a good idea, considering the high potential cost of getting lost.
    This is what i wrote on socaltrailriders.org about this ride:

First off, i have to say this was by far the hardest and most demanding ride i've had to do. the turnout was outstanding 17 total.

MTB'ers from ocrider.com, teambasso.com along with: Tom C, Tom's friend - Hector, Chris (RidetheRAAM4) & his 2 buddies and myself from socaltrailriders.org all showed up for this truly epic ride.

so we shuttled and started at the top of palm canyon at about 9 am, right off the bat we knew this was not going to be easy, the trails were rocky, narrow and extremely technical, not to mention the thin air. the switchbacks were very fun and steep. we traversed thru many mini canyons & gullies within the main canyon and the group quickly stretched out. twe had some poijnts of regrouping and had a chance to get to meet a great group of riders in the mean time.

the ride was going fine till mile 6, i broke my derailler hangar!! luckily Louie had an extra one and along with the team basso guys i was able to continue on.

Mile 10: my hub broke!! my cassette was freewheeling both ways, pedaling resulted in no forward motion at all, it would just spin. so at this point i figured i could huff and puff it to the the main fireroad which was Dunn Road ( 7 miles away!!!!). i would coast my bike as much as i could and hike a bike the rest which actually resulted in something like 80% hike-a-bike and 20% coasting (too rocky and sandy to actully coast). it was killer. riding the bike with a freewheeling casste made me very sketchy on certain parts and resulted in me breaking one the Ti rails on my saddle!! talk about bad luck.

mile 15: Hector was riding while i hiked my bike along a super long stretch deep sand (the trail was on the actual wash) a few miles to say the least. it was at this point that we by chance stopped to wait for 3 guys from team basso ( they were getting flats like crazy). also keep in mind that we all were the last 5 guys coming down the hill. so we stopped to regroup and take a small breather. so we started chatting and Skip from team basso, noticed something shimmering about 30 yards away. he noticed it was a bike!! we walked over to it and saw that it was a have buried washed out Litespeed! i must have been there for years,rust was all over it. it had a 7 speed cassette, super old-school Scott forks, cantilever brakes (not v-brakes, the older version), and the titanium frame was rusting (not sure why since it was a litespeed frame that said it was Ti, who knows, i'm not a metallergist; but anyhow we unburried it and started to strip it for parts. i was able to take the back wheel and unstck the freewheel action on that wheel and quickly swapped out my wheel for this functiuoning rusted wheel!! i essentially made my bike into a 3 speed, only able to change the front gears. and i had no rear brake capabilities since i have disc brakes. so with this wheel: rusted but functional and true. that part made me feel extremely relieved. i then swapped the saddle. the other guys took the bar ends, front D, H20 cages, and heavy duty tube.

the fact that we stopped there and not 5 feet before or after that spot and we were able to see the washout bike between the bushes for such a distance was trutly a miracle. we could not believe such a thing. i know this sounds wild, but i'm waiting on pix. the pictures will prove it! i truly believe this was some kind of higher power act. if it weren't for that bike i would have been out there till like 10 pm. the terrain was just so rugged and relentless that just doing sections of it walking with the bike was very hard. thankfully a lot of it was on the sandy wash, (walking on MTB shoes, is no joke). today i went to church. i had to, something or someone was looking after me. all the other guys were calling me the luckiest guy alive!

so we marched on 2 more miles on the wash (hike-a-bike,too sandy) to Dunn Road this is a Blvd.-wide fireroad and the only and last bail out of the ride. from there i was able to ride the rolling descent for the next 10 miles, slowly but surely since i only had front brakes and didn't want to pinch flat. the bike worked great, with me only being able to shift between the 3 front gears. going down the fireroad, there were more flats for the other guys one of them had 5 or more flats, not sure but i know it was atleast 5 flats.

so we made it down to to the bottom of Dunn Road, and made our way on to Hwy 111 and went for a mile or so to the main trailhead and meeting place just before dusk (the cars had their headlights on already).

you should have seen the look on people faces when i pulled up with my wheel strapped to my back with tubes, and the story of how everything came about.

this was truly a memorable and miraculous ride. if anything, this experience renewed my faith that there is something out there looking over us. to find that bike the way we did was truly a miracle, half buried and next to a bush abd the only waty we could have seen it was by being in that exact spot can't make me think of any other thing than it being god-sent.

thanx to AK, Skip, Rainey, and Hector for sticking out there with me. i'm truly in debted to you guys.

would i do this ride again? maybe, i'll have to think about it more, but i would do a different version of whats out there since there is a good network of trails up there.

tips for the next ride: keep extra D-Hangar at the ready, 2mm wench, zip-ties, & 4 tubes min. (just incase) other than that, i was self sufficient. oh yeah, i forgot to mention i did have 2 flats, one before the ride even started, and one during the ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feeling a little taller
    Thanks for reposting that. What a great story!

I'll have to stock up on the slime tubes. Thankfully, I'll be running a Rohloff, so no derailleur issues!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic Mtn Biker
    This is what i wrote on socaltrailriders.org about this ride:

First off, i have to say this was by far the hardest and most demanding ride i've had to do. the turnout was outstanding 17 total.

MTB'ers from ocrider.com, teambasso.com along with: Tom C, Tom's friend - Hector, Chris (RidetheRAAM4) & his 2 buddies and myself from socaltrailriders.org all showed up for this truly epic ride.

so we shuttled and started at the top of palm canyon at about 9 am, right off the bat we knew this was not going to be easy, the trails were rocky, narrow and extremely technical, not to mention the thin air. the switchbacks were very fun and steep. we traversed thru many mini canyons & gullies within the main canyon and the group quickly stretched out. twe had some poijnts of regrouping and had a chance to get to meet a great group of riders in the mean time.

the ride was going fine till mile 6, i broke my derailler hangar!! luckily Louie had an extra one and along with the team basso guys i was able to continue on.

Mile 10: my hub broke!! my cassette was freewheeling both ways, pedaling resulted in no forward motion at all, it would just spin. so at this point i figured i could huff and puff it to the the main fireroad which was Dunn Road ( 7 miles away!!!!). i would coast my bike as much as i could and hike a bike the rest which actually resulted in something like 80% hike-a-bike and 20% coasting (too rocky and sandy to actully coast). it was killer. riding the bike with a freewheeling casste made me very sketchy on certain parts and resulted in me breaking one the Ti rails on my saddle!! talk about bad luck.

mile 15: Hector was riding while i hiked my bike along a super long stretch deep sand (the trail was on the actual wash) a few miles to say the least. it was at this point that we by chance stopped to wait for 3 guys from team basso ( they were getting flats like crazy). also keep in mind that we all were the last 5 guys coming down the hill. so we stopped to regroup and take a small breather. so we started chatting and Skip from team basso, noticed something shimmering about 30 yards away. he noticed it was a bike!! we walked over to it and saw that it was a have buried washed out Litespeed! i must have been there for years,rust was all over it. it had a 7 speed cassette, super old-school Scott forks, cantilever brakes (not v-brakes, the older version), and the titanium frame was rusting (not sure why since it was a litespeed frame that said it was Ti, who knows, i'm not a metallergist; but anyhow we unburried it and started to strip it for parts. i was able to take the back wheel and unstck the freewheel action on that wheel and quickly swapped out my wheel for this functiuoning rusted wheel!! i essentially made my bike into a 3 speed, only able to change the front gears. and i had no rear brake capabilities since i have disc brakes. so with this wheel: rusted but functional and true. that part made me feel extremely relieved. i then swapped the saddle. the other guys took the bar ends, front D, H20 cages, and heavy duty tube.

the fact that we stopped there and not 5 feet before or after that spot and we were able to see the washout bike between the bushes for such a distance was trutly a miracle. we could not believe such a thing. i know this sounds wild, but i'm waiting on pix. the pictures will prove it! i truly believe this was some kind of higher power act. if it weren't for that bike i would have been out there till like 10 pm. the terrain was just so rugged and relentless that just doing sections of it walking with the bike was very hard. thankfully a lot of it was on the sandy wash, (walking on MTB shoes, is no joke). today i went to church. i had to, something or someone was looking after me. all the other guys were calling me the luckiest guy alive!

so we marched on 2 more miles on the wash (hike-a-bike,too sandy) to Dunn Road this is a Blvd.-wide fireroad and the only and last bail out of the ride. from there i was able to ride the rolling descent for the next 10 miles, slowly but surely since i only had front brakes and didn't want to pinch flat. the bike worked great, with me only being able to shift between the 3 front gears. going down the fireroad, there were more flats for the other guys one of them had 5 or more flats, not sure but i know it was atleast 5 flats.

so we made it down to to the bottom of Dunn Road, and made our way on to Hwy 111 and went for a mile or so to the main trailhead and meeting place just before dusk (the cars had their headlights on already).

you should have seen the look on people faces when i pulled up with my wheel strapped to my back with tubes, and the story of how everything came about.

this was truly a memorable and miraculous ride. if anything, this experience renewed my faith that there is something out there looking over us. to find that bike the way we did was truly a miracle, half buried and next to a bush abd the only waty we could have seen it was by being in that exact spot can't make me think of any other thing than it being god-sent.

thanx to AK, Skip, Rainey, and Hector for sticking out there with me. i'm truly in debted to you guys.

would i do this ride again? maybe, i'll have to think about it more, but i would do a different version of whats out there since there is a good network of trails up there.

tips for the next ride: keep extra D-Hangar at the ready, 2mm wench, zip-ties, & 4 tubes min. (just incase) other than that, i was self sufficient. oh yeah, i forgot to mention i did have 2 flats, one before the ride even started, and one during the ride.
    Man, I live in the area and do Palm Cyn. sevral times a year and that is one of the wildest stories of the ride I have ever heard. Glad you guys made it out OK. I was told that on Thanksgiving weekend they had to life flight some people out, never really got any more details. If your in the area again for a ride look us up www.velobum.com.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I saw you guys that day

I was climbing Dunn, saw you at the wash on my way up to Pinyon flat and passed you on my way down, close to Vandeventer...I remember I saw a Nomad, some guys in body armour and a "specialized' guy carrying a wheel on his back. Don't you guys run tubeless ?

Just another Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic Mtn Biker
    this was my experience there yesterday, we had a huge turnout and a very wild ride.

Mike, you were right about the flats situation even though i only suffered only one flat during the ride, some guys had more than 5 flats.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...pic.php?t=825&
    Read your story on your website. Man, you did get lucky.I have done this trail 5 or 6 times over the years and have seen about every possible breakdown out there,but we always some how manage to get everybody back just before dark. I still love this ride and can't wait to do it again. Finding a Litespeed out in the desert like that is really amazing. I call it Karma.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Feeling a little taller
    We had some fun but didn't see any problems with this trail system...of course, we ended up riding it all in the dark with a suggestion from an employee at a bike shop in Palm Springs. The ridges rise so steep that it's easy to lose your bearings in the shadows of the valleys!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Looks like I missed the party. I was working in Palm Springs yesterday (12/19) and when I was done I had an hour and a half of daylight or so to hit the Goat Trails. I'd read about them on MTB Bill and Bill mentioned a Palm Canyon ride last saturday which I couldn't make so the area was in my mind. I saw a fair amount of tracks; probably your group. Looked like Nevegals and Mutanoraptor tracks. I didn't do the full loop up to the peak due to the waning light and being alone but hit what seemed to be a fair amount of the goat trails proper. Lots of fun stuff out there. Go up the roads and down the singletracks.

There is some plant that has stubby brown thorns that should exist only in the far reaches of hell. Several of them stuck me good in the arms and legs. I didn't even know they were there until I saw the blood running down my arm toward the end of the ride and had to extract them. They "pulled" a bit on the way out which added to the pleasure. I made the mistake of taking the singletrack on the left by the last hill before hitting the Vons area that eventually goes to the water tower. This ends up being a hike a bike (at least for me)which is too bad because everything leading up to the hike a bike is super fun technical stuff with some nice not scary exposure. No flats though.

Overall a fun ride I'd do again for sure.