mtbr dismember

Palm Springs epic?

Anybody feel like organizing a Palm Springs epic for me and Joe@MBD.com for the next month or so before it gets too hot? One of the best rides I've ever done. But I would not feel comfortable without someone with local knowledge along. And as I recall the logistics of shuttling are a bit complicated. I'm slow but I can ride all day.
    Last edited by Wherewolf; 02-07-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Sled of Lead.
    I'm willing to show you guys around, assuming you have a proper shuttle vehicle (truck or rack that carries 3+ bikes). I've ridden it quite a few times. It's my favorite ride in SoCal. PM me if interested.

The Mountain Bike Bill website has some pretty good info for navigation and waypoints.
    The Palm Canyon Epic

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I want in...have truck, will travel.

mtbr member
    I'm interested.

mtbr member
    There's a GPS file here:
    Geoladders -- Palm Canyon Epic

mtbr dismember

Soon?

I have not talked to Joe but I'd be up for Feb. 23 or March 2. He has a truck which seats 4-5 and could presumably carry several bikes. If he doesn't come I can only carry a total of two people with bikes. So we'd need more vehicles. This ride always seems to take all day with the shuttling so we'd meet at the crack of dawn. I am slower than most.

I did the ride twice with MTBBill and the first time we pushed our bikes through deep sand (the sandy wash) for a full hour in 100 degree temperatures. That was in mid February. He has since routed around the wash. Once we got on the trail a bit with a GPS track I could probably be left behind if I'm too slow.

Sled of Lead.
    In my opinion, the sand was is worth it for the descent down Hahn Buena Vista. Plus the view from the top of Hahn is awesome. But yea you can cut out 3/4 of the sandwash slog if you hang a left at the vandervetter trail sign.
    Another option is to finish the ride at down Art Smith trail instead of Hahn to Fern/wildhorse/goat trails. It adds a lot of climbing but has some really cool rocky descents. Definitely don't want to take the Art Smith option on a hot day. Art Smith requires a shuttle bivouc off of highway 74 instead of the usual Vons parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    I did the ride twice with MTBBill and the first time we pushed our bikes through deep sand (the sandy wash) for a full hour in 100 degree temperatures. That was in mid February. He has since routed around the wash. Once we got on the trail a bit with a GPS track I could probably be left behind if I'm too slow.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead-Sled View Post
    In my opinion, the sand was is worth it for the descent down Hahn Buena Vista. Plus the view from the top of Hahn is awesome. But yea you can cut out 3/4 of the sandwash slog if you hang a left at the vandervetter trail sign.
    Another option is to finish the ride at down Art Smith trail instead of Hahn to Fern/wildhorse/goat trails. It adds a lot of climbing but has some really cool rocky descents. Definitely don't want to take the Art Smith option on a hot day. Art Smith requires a shuttle bivouc off of highway 74 instead of the usual Vons parking lot.
    Lead-Sled, are you local?

mtbr member

Palm Springs Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    I have not talked to Joe but I'd be up for Feb. 23 or March 2. He has a truck which seats 4-5 and could presumably carry several bikes. If he doesn't come ...

I would feel privileged to be a part of this ride. My truck seats 5 (adults) comfortably and can haul as many bikes as we want to put in the back. Either one of those weekends will work for me.

I guess I'd better get in shape!

Joe
    Mountain Bike Diaries

Sled of Lead.
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue View Post
    Lead-Sled, are you local?
    I live about 1.5 hours from Palm Springs but I ride the epic a lot during the winter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'd like to join as well. I've done the ride several times already and feel comfortable with the different alternate routes.
    Is there a hard date for this?
    Jose

No known cure
    I wouldn't mind getting in on this. I have a SUV, and/or gas money.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Would be interested in possibly hooking up with your group as well. We would have 3-4 guys and could shuttle ourselves and maybe 1 or 2 others if necessary. Have done this ride twice before. Hate the slog thru the wash but in the end, it's worth it. Could probably make either of those dates.

mtbr dismember

Feb. 23

I vote for Feb. 23 in case of bad weather or some other unforeseen circumstance we could ride March 2. Those are the only two days I can ride for quite awhile. Any local want to lead on organizing it? In terms of miles this is one of the shortest rides I've ever done. However, it is about the most difficult I've ever done. Pretty rugged terrain and lots of narrow trails with a lot of exposure. As long as nobody dies I'm always up for an adventure. So I'll do the sandy wash if it makes for a better ride.
    Last edited by Wherewolf; 02-18-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Warrior's Society
    I was out there yesterday....snow from Pinyon Flats campground, for about the 1st 30 mins. Was pretty much gone by the time we reached the 1st creek crossing.

Stone Pools were dry as well as all the creeks.

Sand Wash of Death was in the bet condition I have ever experienced.

Even the cactus seemed to be off the trail.

Was 34'ish degrees at the start and 65'ish by the finish.

Fun day and ride for sure.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.